New Broadband Speed Test

george

I've had a True 2.5 M line for a week now in my new apartment on Silom Rd.

Over a period of days, the Thaivisa test has shown approximately 200 Kbps results. The results from True's own speed test have varied from 80 to 295 Kbps, averaging some 180 Kbps. So it seems that I have only about 10 % of the bandwidth I'm supposed to have!

On the other hand, ADSLthailand.com constantly gives results over 2000 Kbps (which is in the right range) and I can also download the 8M and 16M test files from True's test page very fast (over 200 Kbytes/s).

I'm confounded. Should I go to True office to complain or is this "all right" now? Certainly the connection felt much, much faster in my previous apartment. I thought Silom would be an even better area, but perhaps there are too many users or something.

// Edit: er, can I use the word "confounded" like above?

Edited by Krit

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ADSLThailand measures speed to their server based in Bangkok, Thailand.

Thaivisa Speedtest measures the speed to our server based in Texas, US.

It seems that your domestic speed is OK, but the international speed is crap. We all have the same problem ... :o

It seems that your domestic speed is OK, but the international speed is crap. We all have the same problem ... :D

Yeah, well... I know :D :D But true's own test is a "speed test between you and TRUE internet (Bangkok)", shouldn't that give the best results of all? And still I get under 200 Kbps from there when it should be 2500 Kbps. Or maybe their speedtest server is overloaded...

Perhaps I have to start experimenting with P2P - you get the most reliable overall results with a diversified network right? :o In fact it seems that my upload speed is greater than download so perhaps this is the time to give something back to the community! :D

I think someone has really turned The BIG Switch now... All of a sudden my net is 10x faster than before. This seemed to happen quite suddenly between 4 and 5 am today, now the Thaivisa speedometer is giving me over 1 Mbps readings. Oh my! :o:D True's own test now reads over 2000 Kbps instead of the previous 200 Kbps. I hope this is not a hallucination caused by lack of sleep. And I hope this will continue tomorrow - if not, I will certainly stay awake yet another night to see if this miracle happens again!

Edited by Krit

I would like to put in a serious reccomendation for Onspeed

It makes web browsing much faster.

Basically you just install it and it compresses graphics before you download them. So when you visit a web site you get a lower quality of image but images download MUCH faster. Also it seems to predict which links you will click next, if you are idle online (ie making a cup of coffee) it predicts what pages you will open (linked from open pages) and downloads the content. When you come back to your computer if you try to download those pages they are already cached.

It really is good for slow connections. I am forced to connect with GPRS using AIS - unfortunatley I am not in a EDGE (high speed GPRS) area so I am limited to about 30k connection. ALthough onspeed doesnt technically increase your bandwidth, it makes web browsing a lot faster. Alternatively you can try turning off images in Internet Explorer, but unfortunatley this makes many websites very confusing and even unusable.

Onspeed have a free money back trial.

Hutch report;

Your current bandwidth reading is:

61.80kbps

which means you can download at 7.73 KB/sec. from our servers.

I'm in Jomtien using a friends computer. He is using Hutch. It's not the greatest but certainly better than GPRS or dial-up.

I’m using True 1M/ 512, each time I felt the speed is slow, click to check bandwidth from another source, reading below 256kbps.

Re-click True’s speed test

http://wow.trueinternet.co.th/speedtest.php

Its show more then 800…… after that I got faster speeds.

Few hours later same thing happen with slower speeds, click again above resulting better speeds. What happen to True service? Call them 02-9009000 ext. 43 got answer you hit the jackpot!

Any other reliable service then True, please advice. Switching over! :o

I have an idea!

How about we test how much total bandwidth is available between thai ISPs and thaivisa.com by having as many people as possible hit the bandwidth meter simultaneously.

Say at 2PM 3 June 2006, thai time...? Who's in?

Well, I thought my connection was slooooow but this is the reading I got.

10.80kbps

which means you can download at 1.35 KB/sec. from our servers.

This is because my phone line changes to a radio transmitter and back to a phone line in the 18 k's to the nearest exchange. They are supposedly putting in a new line (see bits of it here and there) but the job is happening on Thai time, so maybe by the end of the year. Otherwise I've been looking at ipstar but to afford it I wil have to cancel my UBC. Decisions, decisions. . .

Regards, Hugh

//url removed//

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the local speed to BKK is ok(ish). The problem is the international speed, down to dial-up speeds.

Afore I have a useless fight with TT&T, no chance of achieving anything, who's fault would the international speed be. TT&T's? Or is it because of a single international pipe/censoring filtering/what.

today i get this speed on my Maxnet (TT&T) ADSL line 1024/256 with my wireless zyxel modem, and i stay in jomtien.

786.80kbps

which means you can download at 98.35 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

786.8 kbps YOU -----------------------------------

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

Retest

673.80kbps

which means you can download at 84.23 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

673.8 kbps YOU ------------------------------

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

Retest

804.90kbps

which means you can download at 100.61 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

804.9 kbps YOU ------------------------

1000 kbps DSL

Retest

Somebody know about the 2/2 mbps line from HiNet (CAT Telecom) i get some paper from them today and they offer now SHDSL internet in Pattaya / Jomtien for 5.500 Baht/Month

If some one here have this line, please write if its good or not, because maybe i will change from Maxnet, many time i have low speed, but today its okay.

Edited by putdk

"International Bandwidth Test" ?

More like download speed from that IP address.

try

http://netspeed.stanford.edu

Stanford U in Calif USA

or

http://219.93.175.234:8080/speedometer/index.jsp

Telecomm Malaysia. Input your speed (what you are subscribed to i.e. 512

also for the more advanced try for the command prompt in XP

c:/> tracert yahoo.com

Note: it could be any IP address and will show you the complete route to that address at any given moment and ALL the stats as well.

Note to TV: What's the IP address for your "International Bandwidth Test"?

Then we'd know where it is............. :o

Thai Visa is hosted out of Dallas.......cool.

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.

OrgID: TPCM

Address: 1333 North Stemmons Freeway

Address: Suite 110

City: Dallas

StateProv: TX

PostalCode: 75207

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.theplanet.com:4321

NetRange: 69.93.0.0 - 69.93.255.255

CIDR: 69.93.0.0/16

NetName: NETBLK-THEPLANET-BLK-9

NetHandle: NET-69-93-0-0-1

Parent: NET-69-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Allocation

NameServer: NS1.THEPLANET.COM

NameServer: NS2.THEPLANET.COM

Comment:

RegDate: 2003-11-19

Updated: 2004-03-15

RTechHandle: PP46-ARIN

RTechName: Pathos, Peter

RTechPhone: +1-214-782-7800

RTechEmail: [email protected]

So much for IpStar 512 down..........

169.90kbps

which means you can download at 21.24 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

169.9 kbps YOU

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).

Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.

On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.

Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.

Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.

If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

five minutes ago, but in Holland

2.98 Mbps

which means you can download at 381.3 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

3050.4 kbps YOU

This is what i'm getting from a ship currently 150miles off the coast of Brazil. Better than many Thai ISPs...

217.20kbps

which means you can download at 27.15 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

217.2 kbps YOU

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

3 July, 2006 Ipstar bandwidth at 9:27 AM;

36.00kbps

which means you can download at 4.5 KB/sec. from our servers.

It just goes from bad to worse. At least it is working. Sometimes it just stalls and does nothing.

3 July, 2006 Ipstar bandwidth at 9:27 AM;

36.00kbps

which means you can download at 4.5 KB/sec. from our servers.

It just goes from bad to worse. At least it is working. Sometimes it just stalls and does nothing.

Today seems very poor.

My reading for Ipstar at 10am this morning was 81.10 kpbs from a 512/256 rated service.

Usually the morning is nearer 150kbps but goes down to less than 50kbps late afternoon.

Ridiculous for 4000 + tax baht per month.

Like many others on the forum I have phoned , faxed, emailed Csloxinfo but just receive the we are looking into the problem comment but no resolution to date.

Bigger problem for me is the constant download data corruption so sometimes have to download many times to get usable data.

just five minutes ago:

87.15 Mbps

which means you can download at 10.89 MB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

89240.5 kbps YOU

This for EUR 19.95 per month (tax included).

I am thinking to move to Thailand sometimes, but I need a fast internet connection. Now it looks bad in Thailand.

Last year there was launched a satelite for internet and telecom in SE Asia, but no result until now?

• 2 weeks later...
No complaints here... ToT Cybergold 1024/256 It's not cable but much better than dialup

gallery_6606_341_4024.jpg

hi penzman what is cybergold , and how do you get it , and how much . i live in ubon and was told at six kilometeres i am to far for broadband, is your s done through the phone line cheers

@jonny48

cybergold if from ToT. They have 3 packages, cybergold should be the fastest. Penzman has luck with 879 kbps, I have also cybergold but maximum 200 kbps :o

speed depends on your luck it seems :D

CU

• 3 weeks later...

89.60kbps

which means you can download at 11.2 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

89.6 kbps YOU

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

9.35pm 31/7/06

I've a 256/128 TOT connection for 500 Baht/month.....[/color]Anyone know how much Cybergold costs?