Brighter & Whiter Headlight Bulb For CBR650F

WingNut

I heard that some people changed their CBR650F headlight bulbs to a Xenon H4 car bulb:

http://www.amazon.com/Xenon-bulbs-9003-Watts-100W/dp/B000OT9B5C

Below is another Sylvania equivalent:

http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Performance-Halogen-Headlight/dp/B0012ETJ1O

Apparently these bulbs will fit the CBR650F as a perfect replacement and are 40% brighter than the stock bulbs without consuming any additional battery power. They are also a cooler temperature/whiter color that look more like the 2 other bulbs on the right and the left of the existing headlight.

It seems like a nice and useful mod for the bike.

Just wondering if anyone has swapped theirs out yet with one of these bulbs?

Edited by WingNut

I was just thinking that there may even be a locally available version of that bulb in the Thai auto parts stores for a couple hundred Baht. They may have it under another name and part number though which might make it more difficult to locate locally.

You can buy Osram Night Breaker. It basically same as Sylvaina Silverstar. You buy it in Thailand. I ordered mines on eBay though. One problem with these bulbs is lifetime is short. My previous Sylvanias on my car lasted only a year(30k km).

Edited by Ozgur
  • Like 1

I used to run the Sylvan lamps in my car. They aren't really brighter but the light is more 'pure' with a slightly bluish tint. It improves contrast more than anything.

If you're looking for auxiliary lights the Denali D2 work really well.

Edited by dave_boo
  • Like 1

Found this link if it helps you out.

http://totalcarmagazine.com/tech/2013/03/19/let_there_be_lights/

Seems the specs saying 'Up to 90% - or 60% - more light' are a tad misleading.

Probably a pair of aux lights would serve you the best - more light and you can aim them where you please.

According to that link you gave, the GE Megalight Ultra sounds like the best option in terms of a bulb choice if I am understanding it correctly?

I used to run the Sylvan lamps in my car. They aren't really brighter but the light is more 'pure' with a slightly bluish tint. It improves contrast more than anything.

If you're looking for auxiliary lights the Denali D2 work really well.

I am not sure something really brighter is so much needed anyway. A more bluish light cast which improves contrast and removes the warmer tones might be better anyway for seeing at night. Also, then the light coming out of the bike will be more uniform too since the other two bulbs on the left and right of the headlight are more white to begin with. At the moment you have a mix of cool and warm light. I am more in favor of cooler, whiter light altogether at night.

Another thing is often I use my brights to flash cars when they start pulling out in front of me to make a turn to try and stop then from turning when they shouldn't and forcing me to brake hard. A whiter, harsher looking light flashing at them from my bike may be a stronger psychological deterrent than the warmer stock bulb that I have now.

This seems like a good option on eBay for about US$20 including shipping to Thailand for 2 of them. This is the bulb I think that was the top rated one by the article Seedy posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131391145439

Even if they don't last that long you got 2 of them.

Can I be sure though that these will fit into the CBR650F?

Maybe if someone has the service manual they can check the spec on the bulb type.

According to that link you gave, the GE Megalight Ultra sounds like the best option in terms of a bulb choice if I am understanding it correctly?

That's what I understand. Just wanted you to know the caveat to help make a more informed choice.

• Like 1

This seems like a good option on eBay for about US$20 including shipping to Thailand for 2 of them. This is the bulb I think that was the top rated one by the article Seedy posted:

Maybe if someone has the service manual they can check the spec on the bulb type.

Get ready to be dissapointed they are rubbish, get a real xenon kit and you will be very happy.

Get ready to be dissapointed they are rubbish, get a real xenon kit and you will be very happy.

Thanks. I'm not so sure I would be so disappointed though. If it just gives me whiter and sharper looking light I think it will already be a major improvement. I'm not expecting considerably increased lumens from these bulbs.

Thanks and never mind my question above on bulb size. I think this bulb will fit as it is just a standard size and so I ordered a set.

What I also realized is that the bulb I ordered seems to be an improved version of the one tested in the article seedy provided from Total Car Magazine. They were testing the GE Megalight Ultra +90% and the one I ordered above from eBay is the GE Megalight Ultra +120%. So it seems it could be a bit brighter still.

Anyway, when I get them, and assuming they work in the CBR650F, I will let you know what I think of them.

I will just be happier to have some whiter light as I said, even if it isn't much brighter than the stock bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

The GE Megalight Ultra +120% bulbs arrived from Germany and I put one into the bike today. The light isn't really pure white colored light as I expected. Even though the bulb has a blue coating around the tip, the light that comes out is still somewhat orange rather than white. I haven't ridden it at night yet so I can't tell yet if it is much brighter or not, but my guess is it isn't going to make that much difference, although any improvement at all is welcome.