Beach-bed protests: the other side of story

Thaivisa News

He said there were several farang who earned their living from tourism businesses on Phuket beaches and several of them have Thai girlfriends.

Does he mean foreigners?

What a nasty word.

Twilight Zone.

Imagine, if you will.....................

A USA, Australian, UK, German, French government official saying there are several chinks who earn their living with their local girlfriends as fronts.

local people could still make their living by renting beach umbrellas to tourists at the rate of Bt200 each,

200 baht for an umbrella?

The last time I went to Phuket you could rent a beach bed that already had an umbrella for 20 baht!

But that was than long before the turn of the millennium, decades, lol,

that you have been on the expensive island of Phuket, the Monaco of South East Asia. tongue.png

I moved to BKK in March 2001. I then moved to Pattaya in 2002.

Back then Google & ThaiVisa.com were still wearing diapers & the info age had just kicked off.

There used to be a rickety wooden pier in Pattaya just north of Walking Street.

A whopping two or three ferries went from it to Koh Larn every day.

Russians were unheard of. I really don't mind Ruskies, just saying they weren't around in droves back then.

A beach chair was 20 baht.

Only folks on the island were squatters. Super nice folks really.

Around 2005 it got developed... The GOVERNMENT came in to HELP.

They completely ruined the place.

I have no problem renting an umbrella and beach lounge for 200 baht per day, as that is only about $7 US.

When I was at Kata beach a few years back the price was 150baht, and I came and went and

always got a lounger and umbrella, at no charge for the whole day. I have occasionally went to another beach with my towel and even there I was able to get a umbrella and a chair and small table for 100baht, I do not

see the big protest, except if I was an expat living at Phuket and wanted to go somewhere with a

beach towel and toys for the kids, I would hope to be able to do that without being harassed. Otherwise

this story seems to be a bit much.

• Like 1

In Pattaya he beach chair/umbrella vendors would come at 6am, rake up the garbage and nasty stuff before setting up their chairs. Now no one cleans the beach and clueless tourists lay down on sand that is filthy from people using as a toilet all night and the rat feces left from the rats scurrying around all night. The rats live in the tree roots, among other places and come out at dusk.

It may come as a surprise to the Governor , but the Thais who expropriated the beaches and made them their own many years ago have not given their closely guarded control over to Farangs with Thai girlfriends!

To assert so is false , and does pang of Farang bashing

Local Thais control the commerce on the beaches of Phuket and there is not one farang involved in any on sand business on Patong or Kamala - not one!

I dont know about the other beaches - but how long do you think one white fellow would last if he tried to elbow in on the Thai beach trade???

On the subject of the Kamala beach protest , its my understanding that this was no organised march with banners , It was spontaneous

A bunch of tourists who have come to form a little community on sun loungers each high season were outraged when they were told by their regular Thai supplier that he was not allowed to rent to them and that some of the chairs some tourists had bought that he 'minded' had been confiscated by the Police

Annoyed , these aged foreigners stomped off up to the Police Station to state their dissatisfaction loudly

Hardly a protest in the usual sense of the word

I am a tourist in http://m.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1848 I live in the UK and have come here for my wedding and honeymoon we have a private beach with no sunbeds. For those of you who live here you might not mind but I can tell you now as a genuine tourist Whilst I wouldn't go on a march to the police station it is a big issue and is spoiling our holiday and we (20of my family in 7 rooms for 8 days at 140 pounds a night) won't be coming back anytime soon

What is the problem??????

Licence the vendors.

Give the customer a receipt for the hire of sun-bed/s.

Account for the monies taken each day and use the money to benefit the local community plus environment..

Is it that difficult!

But then again, with so much alleged corruption, life is made difficult for everyone, simply because of greed enhanced by the fickle nature of those individuals in power and position.

ONE PLANET! ONE HOME! SO MANY PROBLEMS!. How sad we humans can be.... People go on holiday to relax, enjoy and have fun and not to be involved in this kind of rubbish.