Buying 2nd hand pickup tomorrow from another Farang in Pattaya

Where do I go in Pattaya to do the name change in the Green book? I've browsed this forum and 4 pages deep don't see anything about this subject.

Current owner has farang name, and I want to change into my name. We both live in Pattaya.

Where do I find a list of items that I will need to take with me?

Passport I would assume, bill of sale/sales contract, the green book and what else?

If I get the seller to sign a copy of his passport, and I have his signed off sales contract, does the seller have to go with me to change the name?

He should already have the tax paid and current insurance, do I need to have those switched over into my name and have proof before going?

Thank you.

where is the car registered, its a blue book, green is motorcycle

In Pattaya, or Chonburi province.....The seller lives here as well. I don't have it in my hand yet, but I am assuming it's registered here for now. If not, I will deal with that later.

You'll need workpermit or yellow housebook or certificate of address for yourself and likely for the seller as well.

I'm on an ED visa, not work permit. I already have a Thai Driver's license. Do I need to verify my address?

If so I have a 1 year lease in a house, would I need to get another verification of residency from immigration like I did when I got my drivers license?

Edited by remaxtony
  • Like 2

Imagine you'd do the name change at the Transport Dept., out by Regent school.

That is where I got my drivers license last April, so I know where that is. I was only concerned with my license at that time and didn't pay attention to what other services were done there.

the best way is to get resident certificate from immigration or embassy for both of you, passports and both go to the government office. they will check the vehicle and then change details, then pay the money and the vehicle is yours, if not registered in Chon buri district or someone not attending different rules apply

• Like 1

You'll need workpermit or yellow housebook or certificate of address for yourself and likely for the seller as well.

I'm on an ED visa, not work permit. I already have a Thai Driver's license. Do I need to verify my address?

If so I have a 1 year lease in a house, would I need to get another verification of residency from immigration like I did when I got my drivers license?

Yes, you will still need a letter of residency from Immigration.

Edited by giddyup

There have been numerous posts here a TV that have stated that the buyer must have a Certificate of Residency from either Immigration (cheap) or from one's Embassy (expensive) but that the seller does not need one

How about someone who has actually sold a vehicle here in Thailand reporting exactly what is the rule

• Like 1

There have been numerous posts here a TV that have stated that the buyer must have a Certificate of Residency from either Immigration (cheap) or from one's Embassy (expensive) but that the seller does not need one

How about someone who has actually sold a vehicle here in Thailand reporting exactly what is the rule

I believe you are correct, the seller does NOT need residence certificate.

All falang need their passports and both of you will need a "Resident Certificate" from immigration and the Blue Book for the vehicle and yes, the best place for sure this can all be done is at the Land Office out by the Regent's School just off highway 36. The same place everyone in Pattaya gets their driver's license.

Alternates to the "Resident Certificate" were mentioned above, a house book or work permit.

I sold my car to another farang here in Pattaya last July. A couple weeks later I bought a new car from the Pattaya Mitsubishi dealer.

I am retired here on an annual retirement visa (extension) I was required to get 2 resident certificates from Jomtien Immigration. One was required as I was the seller of the car that was going to be transferred to another owner; the second resident certificate was required for me to purchase and register my new car.

The farang who bought my old car brought along a seller/buyer form and we both had to fill in our personal details and sign the form. So the buyer then took the car plus the completed form and resident certificates for each of us to the vehicle licensing department out behind the Regent International School to complete the transfer.

My old car was actually registered in Bangkok and had Bangkok plates on it. Both myself and the buyer of my old car reside in Pattaya. As far as I am aware the fact that the car was registered in another province was not an issue when the buyer made the transfer.

I sold my car to another farang here in Pattaya last July. A couple weeks later I bought a new car from the Pattaya Mitsubishi dealer.

I am retired here on an annual retirement visa (extension) I was required to get 2 resident certificates from Jomtien Immigration. One was required as I was the seller of the car that was going to be transferred to another owner; the second resident certificate was required for me to purchase and register my new car.

The farang who bought my old car brought along a seller/buyer form and we both had to fill in our personal details and sign the form. So the buyer then took the car plus the completed form and resident certificates for each of us to the vehicle licensing department out behind the Regent International School to complete the transfer.

My old car was actually registered in Bangkok and had Bangkok plates on it. Both myself and the buyer of my old car reside in Pattaya. As far as I am aware the fact that the car was registered in another province was not an issue when the buyer made the transfer.

you should have signed 2 forms if you did not go to the office, a buy/sell form and a power of attorney form. do you know for a fact that the buyer was succesful in doing the name change at pattaya office, as a bkk reg vehicle, name change should be done in bkk.

you should have signed 2 forms if you did not go to the office, a buy/sell form and a power of attorney form. do you know for a fact that the buyer was succesful in doing the name change at pattaya office, as a bkk reg vehicle, name change should be done in bkk.

I paid off the loan today for the truck at SCB branch in pattaya. They said they mail out the blue books from Bkk [that is where they hold all blue books] and it should come in 10 days.

The seller is making a 15k baht profit over what he owed on the loan. I am holding that until the book arrives and he helps me get the name changed, and he agreed. There was no other way to get the blue book released other than to pay off the loan. I now have the vehicle.

The plates and book say bkk. He said he used a local agent when he bought it. I've contacted that agent and they said to bring the book to them when it arrives and they will sort it or advise how to sort it. The seller is stating that he will get the Resident Certificate with me whenever I am ready to go, and has already signed sales contract and power of attorney for me.

The only curve ball is the bkk plates I guess. Will see when I get the book.

May well have been 2 forms. Never heard of any problems with transferring owner name in other provinces. Some years ago I drove my Songkhla registered car from Songkhla to Udon Thani and sold it to a friend there. I went with my friend to the vehicle department in Udon and the transfer/change of owner name was all done in a couple hours.

I paid off the loan today for the truck at SCB branch in pattaya. They said they mail out the blue books from Bkk [that is where they hold all blue books] and it should come in 10 days.

The seller is making a 15k baht profit over what he owed on the loan. I am holding that until the book arrives and he helps me get the name changed, and he agreed. There was no other way to get the blue book released other than to pay off the loan. I now have the vehicle.

The plates and book say bkk. He said he used a local agent when he bought it. I've contacted that agent and they said to bring the book to them when it arrives and they will sort it or advise how to sort it. The seller is stating that he will get the Resident Certificate with me whenever I am ready to go, and has already signed sales contract and power of attorney for me.

The only curve ball is the bkk plates I guess. Will see when I get the book.

Shouldn't expect any problem with BKK plates. I bought my old car with its BKK plates from a car dealer in Pattaya, the transfer to my name was all done in Pattaya in a day. I haven't heard anything back from the farang who bought my old car last July, and he would have contacted me if he had any difficulties. As i said in the post above, I sold a Songkhla registered car to a mate in Udon Thani and the transfer was done in Udon in an afternoon.

As far as I am aware the fact that the car was registered in another province was not an issue when the buyer made the transfer.

Correct.....it's a fallacy that if you buy (or sell) a car from another province, it has to be re-registered in the province you live.

the only slight draw back would be if you lost the log book, you would have to go back to the province where it was registered to apply for a duplicate.....

is the yellow book also acceptale as residence certificate ??

is the yellow book also acceptale as residence certificate ??
In most places it is, but I think in pattaya it is not.

its no fallacy, just facts

in this case the car is bkk registered meaning he cannot go to DLT near Regents school and change the name,

he has 3 choices

USE AN AGENT in Pattaya to change the name

go to Chonburi main office DLT to re register it, change the name and get new plates

go to the DLT branch in bkk where its registered and change the name.

Buyer and seller will both need residency certificates

• Like 1

JESUS! So much B/S over 1 simple question! Ive BOUGHT AND SOLD VEHICLES AT THE PATTAYA TRANSPORT OFFICE.

Each time we did it both of us turned up with a residents letter EACH from jomtien and passports. We then got as many photocopies as they wanted ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY as it varies, we went into inspection where the frame n engine numbers are verified and then paid the transfer fee. Once the paperwork is in and checked its a safe bet that the deal is done so thats the time to hand over the cash and go while the buyer waits for the updated book. End.

JESUS! So much B/S over 1 simple question! Ive BOUGHT AND SOLD VEHICLES AT THE PATTAYA TRANSPORT OFFICE.

Each time we did it both of us turned up with a residents letter EACH from jomtien and passports. We then got as many photocopies as they wanted ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY as it varies, we went into inspection where the frame n engine numbers are verified and then paid the transfer fee. Once the paperwork is in and checked its a safe bet that the deal is done so thats the time to hand over the cash and go while the buyer waits for the updated book. End.

yes we know you can change names on PATTAYA registered cars in the Pattaya transport office but you CANNOT change names for a BKK Registered car there.

OP Car has BKK Plates

Edited by PoolHustler

yes we know you can change names on PATTAYA registered cars in the Pattaya transport office but you CANNOT change names for a BKK Registered car there.

OP Car has BKK Plates

Can I at least go to Pattaya transport office by regents school and pay the tax that is due now?

The blue book will be another two weeks I am guessing, and the tax expired last month. I must drive the truck this weekend to Surin, and along the way the cops have checkpoints about every 50 kms it seems.