Notebook doesn't recognize battery (not charging)

Smithson

Upon startup, my Dell notebook is giving me the message "battery not recognized, will not charge".

This has happened before, about 6 months ago, however after several months the battery stated to charge again.

So I'm guessing the battery itself is OK, but something need adjustment on my notebook.

Any help is much appreciated.

From Microsoft Support / Community

Clean the battery contacts. Also check if any of the contacts are bent or damaged.

Flashing BIOS has helped a great deal of people facing similar problem.

Go find the Vendor Product Support Page for your SPECIFIC device and see if a BIOS update has been issued.
Follow the instruction to get and install the BIOS update.

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Normally, when a battery stops charging, it's quite simply, the battery.

Couple of good alternatives already mentioned.

It could also be the circuit that charges the battery.

Unfortunately, it's a process of elimination.

Start with the easiest, cleaning the contacts.

Then check your manufacturers website for BIOS updates. If there is a relevant update for your machine, the next choice is BIOS or battery.

Up to you.

which Dell notebook you have ? I had two similar incidents with my Dell Latitude notebook. in my cases, not the contact of the battery, but the malfunction of the charging circuitry on the motherboard.

call Dell helpdesk, and over the phone they help me diagnose the problem; seems it was a popular call for them. they send a replacement board, problem fixed.

so, check the battery first (as described above), otherwise call Dell helpdesk.

Edited by ETatBKK

Is there still a charge in the battery? If so, run the computer on it until it runs dry. Try starting again a time or two. A few hours later try booting on battery power again. The idea is to bring the charge down to zero. Leave the battery out overnight, at least. Next day, start the computer while plugged in, then once you're up and running connect the battery.

This has worked for me a few times on different brands of laptops.

I used to have this problem often with my DELL laptop and I discovered a fix - at least for my particular hardware.

This would happen for me when I plugged the battery into the socket before I plugged it into the laptop. Now I always make sure to connect to the laptop before I plug it into the socket. This doesn't always work if the "plugged in not charging" is already showing. In that case I've found that simply leaving the battery unplugged for a couple of hours gets me back on track.

How long did you keep the Laptop plugged in for the battery to charge?

Try switching off the Laptop and keep it plugged in for an hour or two if the charging will start.

By the way, did you experience any battery issues before? Very short battery life, for example.

How old is the battery?

Why can't you go to an advice shop, they might have the right battery for you and try if a new one will be charged?

If it needs replacement, advice order a replacement battery for about 1,300 baht.That's what I paid for my 1440 Inspiron.

An original is around 2,500.

But clean the contacts first, go to device manager and update your battery settings.

post-158336-0-33439600-1425450457_thumb.