Which Navigation App for IPhone 6 Plus Turn by Turn Thailand Maps

Lammbock

I like Garmin's Thailand product for iOS. They offer frequent and free map updates for life. You get turn by turn routing, a very good list of POIs and junction view. The latter is particularly helpful for some of the bad highway signage you will find in Thailand. This one costs US$30

https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/garmin-thailand/id524258843?mt=8

For a free app, have a look at maps.me This one allows you to download maps and then use the app offline. While not as comprehensive as the Garmin map, I like this one for travel to places outside of Thailand where I do not want to buy a map and also do not want to use international data roaming. Maps.me does turn by turn routing and has a fairly good set of POIs as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps.me-offline-map-routing/id510623322?mt=8

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean. The Garmin app looks just like a Garmin GPS. The Sygic app looks different, but it appears to have an interface designed to look like a GPS unit as well.

As for cost, Sygic with one year of Thailand maps will cost you $22. Garmin will cost you US$30 for life. If you plan on using the app for more than a year, then it looks to me like Garmin is the most cost-effective choice, and I know from experience the maps are good, with free updates four times/year.

I mean the style of the app once using it. Comparing it to the new iOS style (since iOS 7) and before.

Anyway, where do you see the Sygic App is valid only for 1 year? Can you point that out please?

Edited by Lammbock

Just to check it out, I also installed Sygic. It was free, but it's telling me I only get the "Premium" edition for seven days, and after that I have to pay to keep it. Is that what you got Lammbock, or did you buy a Sygic app, as you said you had purchased it?

IMO, Sygic does not even compare to the Garmin app. There are far fewer display options, such as it will not display altitude, min and max speed, average speed, compass direction of travel, etc. Sygic does not display POIs along the route and it does not have POI information such as address and phone number. You cannot make a point and travel to it, and you cannot navigate by entering addresses or latitude/longitude. The Garmin allows you to search the closest POI, such as petrol station, hospital, airport. etc., select what you want, and then go to it. Garmin will save your trip route, Sygic will not. Garmin will let you do multipoint trips, but Sygic will only do one.

That is with the so-called "Premium" edition. I don't know what you get if you let that expire after seven days and go to basic, but perhaps not much.

True, the Garmin Thailand app is only for Thailand. I used maps.me when outside of Thailand and it appears to do everything that Sygic does, but for free, including map downloads for just about anywhere. It also does some things that Sygic doesn't do, such as let you select nearby POIs by category. Actually, the display interface is very similar to Sygic.

I was not able to install a 7 days trial. (I am in the German iTunes store)

I paid 29,99 EUR.

I have the full option. Everything what you just explained.

Here I took some screen shots. Trial rout to Sisaket (Isaan)

post-98531-0-06505200-1425386634_thumb.p

post-98531-0-86335700-1425386641_thumb.p

post-98531-0-39371600-1425386647_thumb.p

Edited by Lammbock

The Maps are free now. You have linked the wrong one.

This is the one for South East Asia. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sygic-southeast-asia-hong/id319359565?mt=8

th_FF048C97-0D29-4917-A52D-27ED6C6E38B2_

th_5A5F56BA-B612-4ED6-A4B9-623AB4263A36_

I have purchased it now already since Garmin seems to be for Thailand only.

I also drive in the Philippines.

Not free, they want 29.99.

Yes, but he was saying that I have to pay every year for the Maps.

But that is not the case.

You pay one time 29,99 and they are free for lifetime.

I was not able to install a 7 days trial. (I am in the German iTunes store)

I paid 29,99 EUR.

I have the full option. Everything what you just explained.

Here I took some screen shots. Trial rout to Sisaket (Isaan)

attachicon.gifIMG_8278.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_8279.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_8281.PNG

OK, so you have the map displaying POIs, but it hardly shows everything that I previously described with the Garmin app. For that matter, nothing more than what you get for free with the maps.me app

Not sure why you were not able to install the seven day free trial. Worked for me.

Edited by bubba

The Maps are free now. You have linked the wrong one.

This is the one for South East Asia. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sygic-southeast-asia-hong/id319359565?mt=8

th_FF048C97-0D29-4917-A52D-27ED6C6E38B2_

th_5A5F56BA-B612-4ED6-A4B9-623AB4263A36_

I have purchased it now already since Garmin seems to be for Thailand only.

I also drive in the Philippines.

Not free, they want 29.99.

Yes, but he was saying that I have to pay every year for the Maps.

But that is not the case.

You pay one time 29,99 and they are free for lifetime.

Yes it is the case that you have to pay for maps, if you download this version of their app.

https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/sygic-gps-navigation-maps/id585193266?mt=8

But then they offer another option where you pay a one time fee of $30 for the SE Asia version (Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau), including maps:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sygic-southeast-asia-hong/id319359565?mt=8

They key word there is "SE Asia". It does not include maps for anywhere else. I would still go with maps.me if you want more than Thailand. Free and maps available for download from anywhere in the world.

Here are a couple of videos that show most of the screen functions:

This is a review for the Garmin Western Europe iOS app. It's essentially the same as the Thailand one, except that you do not have to download the map for the Thailand app, and the Extras menu is different.

Here is a short video for the Garmin Thailand iOS app, in Thai language.

If there are any other screens that you would like to see, I can upload them here.

One more: this is all in Thai but has lots of screen shots. You can run the app in either Thai or English.

BTW, the junction views are very realistic. Even the trees and buildings are quite accurate.

• Like 1

Getting away from the Garmin/Sygic topic for a moment, I find that my incredibly ancient iPhone 4S (two years) overheats on long journeys as I am charging the battery at the same time as I am using the GPS function. It then turns itself off. This is the truth: I was actually at the end of a 400Km trip and about 200 Meters from the destination when it shut off, I only remembered that there was a complicated U-turn/left and right sequence coming up so we had to sit for ten minutes until I got my phone back. Iphones DO overheat despite denials from Apple. I now use my wife's Samsung for navigation and Google maps have always worked for me all over Thailand.