Why a Non-O 1 year and 1 year multiple entry?!

Hi,

I have already a Non-O 1 year extension. I am not asking about any visas for myself with this thread. I just want to know why are there two different kind of Visa/Extensions?

Why should Thailand do give you a Non-O marriage visa for one year (which force you to leave every 90+60 days) with unlimited re-entries even without financial proof at some embassies and in the other hand give you a one year extension inside the country with a lot of hurdle, financial proof, pictures of your family life, immigration police visit at your house... etc...and with this visa you are not allowed to leave without a re-entry permit (1900thb each,right?)

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is stupid. But I just don't understand the logic behind this? Maybe someone can explain? I don't know visa marriage law in other countries as I never been married to someone else then my Thai woman tongue.png

Easiest way to under stand this is that visas overseas fall under the remit of the Embassies/MFA (Thai Foreign Office).

Extensions of Permision to stay are under the remit of Thai Immigration(a division of the Royal Thai Police - Thai Home Office).

So you see it is the nature of government - two separate departments - two policies.

• Like 1

With a visa, which is issued for the purpose of travelling to Thailand, not for staying in Thailand, you live outside Thailand and visit Thailand for the purpose stated in you visa application.

With an extension of stay, you live in Thailand on an extension of the the period of stay you were given when you arrived with your visa, and if you wish to travel abroad, ie outside Thailand, you can keep your period of stay alive with a re-entry permit.