Non-O in Penang for British female

I recently married my now husband who is Thai, and soon will go to apply for my first Non-O visa based on marriage - most likely in Penang.

As a British female, I understand that my requirements for the visa are different to that of a male. So, what exactly do I need to bring with me for either the single or multiple non-o visa, and is Penang a safe option?

Many thanks :)

For a non-O visa application at a Thai consulate for the purpose of visiting the Thai spouse in Thailand, the requirements are not gender-specific, ie the same for husbands and wives.

For an application for extension of stay at the local immigration office for living in Thailand with the Thai spouse – marriage extension for short – the requirements are easier for wives and it is this extension that your should go for. The rules are in clause 2.18(1)-(3) of Police Order 327/2557 and clause 2.18 of Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557. Not all immigration offices handle some details exactly the same way and it will be useful if you and your husband drop by your immigration office to check what they need.

(For your husband, the original Thai text of the rules are here: Police Order 327/2557 Thai text and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 Thai text)

You may not even have to travel to a consulate, as the immigration office should be able to change your current visa status to non-O and, if necessary, first give you an initial 60-day extension of stay under clause 2.24

You can get a single entry non-o visa in Penang based upon marriage to a Thai You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy and signed copies of your husband's house book registry and ID card.

It is possible to change to a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension based upon marriage at immigration in Bangkok and it requires 2 trips to get it.

After getting the single entry non-o via you can apply for an extension of stay.

Hi I did this only last week, I actually did mine in Singapore in the end after much deliberation. I am also British and we rang the penang embassy 3 times and got 3 different answers. I would recommend you go with at least 20,000 - 30,000 in your husband's account. You are correct in saying it's different for a foreign woman but on paper as someone already said the requirements are the same. If this helps I got a 3 month non o single entry and will extend in my local immigration. I took my marriage certificate copies, his house book, id and bank book updated.2 passport photos of yourself. Penang asked for proof of residence so I had provided my rent contract, landlord id and house book. How Singapore didn't require this. Also I wasn't asked for my bank account but provided it anyway. Again penang said this wasn't necessary. Different strokes for different folks I guess. As Joe already said a single entry should be no problem as its at immigration the fun starts! Good luck it will be fine.

I did all this some years ago (8), with Thai wife and two children. Getting the O in the UK was easy as I sent everything to the Birmingham consulate which was run by a Brit. The Embassy in London is truly awful. He was happy with copies of marriage certificate, birth certificates etc. Arriving in Bangkok i was given a year's visa but still had to go to immigration every 90 days. They required all documents to be translated into Thai. There was a translation service across the road. The documents had to be stamped with some sort of official stamp. Cost a few pounds. Immigration were very pleasant just long winded and boring. But I believe you can get people to do it for you if you can'r be bothered. I went for as Spouse Support visa but as I had quite a bit of money in our Thai bank account (to buy a car) they suggested a retirement visa (over 50) which is easier.

No not when she apply for the extension but for the initial application it will help her case if her or husband has some. Speaking from very recent experience doing the same thing she's about to do. The embassy even stuck a note in my passport saying not enough money! Between us we showed about 100,000. Immigration extension I am not worried for and I know no money is needed. That being said tat and you never know what may be requested.

No not when she apply for the extension but for the initial application it will help her case if her or husband has some. Speaking from very recent experience doing the same thing she's about to do. The embassy even stuck a note in my passport saying not enough money! Between us we showed about 100,000. Immigration extension I am not worried for and I know no money is needed. That being said tat and you never know what may be requested.

That is because you went to the wrong place to get your non-o visa.

Penang would of issued it without any questions asked or the note being put on your single entry non-o visa.

Singapore is known for not being friendly for getting any visa.

Actually Singapore was perfectly friendly to me. Far more so than penang who I spoke with several times! Maybe penang will issue it no questions but I went on experience of friends who had recently been and told me to stay clear. So I went to Singapore. I dont believe I did it the right or wrong way, I just went prepared and got the visa I required.

When I went to immigration last time they extended my visa based on marriage by 60 days (begrudgingly as I was on a non-ed) but they said that I should get a non-o before seeing them again, so, from reading what you have all said, it seems as though I am left with two options - either change the visa to a non-o in Bangkok, or go abroad to a thai consulate to acquire a single entry non-o there, is this correct?

When I went to immigration last time they extended my visa based on marriage by 60 days (begrudgingly as I was on a non-ed) but they said that I should get a non-o before seeing them again, so, from reading what you have all said, it seems as though I am left with two options - either change the visa to a non-o in Bangkok, or go abroad to a thai consulate to acquire a single entry non-o there, is this correct?

Non-imm ED is the corner case as immigration tries hard to make it difficult for those having one.

You cannot "change the visa" in Bangkok because you have a non-imm visa already.

However you can easily obtain a multi-entry non-imm 'o' visa in Savannakhet, laos.

Is Penang likely to be fairly straightforward also? I live in Krabi province so it is a fair old trek to go to Laos but if it's worth it, of course I would smile.png

If you only want a single entry non-o visa then Penang is not a probelm. If you want a multiple entry non-o visa you would have to show financial proof to get it. At Savannakhet they do not ask for financial proof.

Is Penang likely to be fairly straightforward also? I live in Krabi province so it is a fair old trek to go to Laos but if it's worth it, of course I would smile.png

If you only want a single entry non-o visa then Penang is not a probelm. If you want a multiple entry non-o visa you would have to show financial proof to get it. At Savannakhet they do not ask for financial proof.

Can you then extend the single entry or convert it within Thailand? Or would I have to continually return to Penang every 3 months to get a new visa? If so, seems like a trip to Laos would be advisable... Just a bit of a trek from South Thailand hence my preference to go to Penang...

Can you then extend the single entry or convert it within Thailand? Or would I have to continually return to Penang every 3 months to get a new visa? If so, seems like a trip to Laos would be advisable... Just a bit of a trek from South Thailand hence my preference to go to Penang...

Once you have the single entry non-o visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage. You will not need any financial proof since you are married to a Thai man.

You certainly don't need a multiple entry visa.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who reads this tread, the aforementioned information is correct, agencies won't accept the documentation without financial evidence, however, if you visit the consulate on your own, the visa should be granted as mine was.. Only a few questions asked to prove that I know who my husband is and that it is not just a visa for convenience purposes... Thank you again for your correct information :)