Australian mum appeals for funds to bring 'trapped' father home from Thailand hospital

webfact

Channel 9 could have paid her money for the story, they are not adverse to that, to help pay.

looking at Susie Monaghan's facebook page she says the local nine news in Darwin will report the story either Friday or Saturday night.

He is 71 and he travels without insurance! Now that is what I call foolish!

I know I am having problems with my eye sight but where does it say he travelled here. He obviously has not insurance but how do we know he was not residing here and was not able to get insurance because of his age. Just asking.

I think he may have a good case to sue the police and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for kidnapping and false detention. He did not ask to be taken to such an expensive establishment.

In reference to the trip home, I would advise he "chance it" in economy. If he makes it, he makes it. He will save a fortune.

I think he may have a good case to sue the police and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for kidnapping and false detention. He did not ask to be taken to such an expensive establishment.

In reference to the trip home, I would advise he "chance it" in economy. If he makes it, he makes it. He will save a fortune.

You can't just get on a plane if you are not ambulatory. Airlines have strict requirements concerning the transportation of the sick and disabled. We don't know this man's physical condition, but for the price quoted it would seem he may need an air ambulance.

Channel 9 could have paid her money for the story, they are not adverse to that, to help pay.

looking at Susie Monaghan's facebook page she says the local nine news in Darwin will report the story either Friday or Saturday night.

Ok, good then .... if that's the case then problem solved, they will definately receive enough money for him to be repatriated back home. thumbsup.gif

Hope they get the funds. If you can't afford travel Ins . In my mind you can't afford to travel . I'm 70 Travel ins Direct cover me worldwide travel Aud

$420.00 per year 12 months cover

how can you get insurance cover for $420 if your 70yrs old ?

thanks.wai2.gif

Wait one darn minute! He is suppose to have a round trip ticket on a tourist visa!...........I smell another con

here in the making! Call the Australian Embassy for assistance. Go get his power of Attorney and raid his bank account? ......What the 71 year old you say has no money........buzz off Jack!!!!!

A plane ride to Aussie land should cost no more than $1200. The daughter should get her ass on a plane, pick up the dumb wit and bring him back home. Just a bump on the head is no reason for a Med-evac. Simply unbelievable and gullible people are!!!

<snip>

Once again if I knew where to donate I would put in a bit.

From the OP link:

By Thursday morning more than $12,000 had been raised, but more than $40,000 is still required. If you would like to help bring Susan Monaghan's father Malcolm home, donations can be made by visiting http://www.gofundme.com/bringmalcolmhome

Donated. Thanks for posting that.

I call this story bunch of bull....................now get the *&^%out of here!......Try the Thai red cross, Aussie Red cross etc. You haven't uses all of the resources available....before start begging for money lame brain! $12,000 is more than enough to get both of you out of Thailand and back home. Buy a cheap wheelchair and push it on the plane! stupid woman!!!!

Sorry to hear that but this old fart here is 63 retired and has health insurance yes it costs but do it by not visiting bars. I might even have enough to cover his costs home but that might hurt me some day. Besides I'm cheap I worked hard to get what I got to live the way I like. Good luck though.

What's a 71 year old man doing travelling alone here to Thailand? Rhetorical question. Particularly when you consider the silly old fool 'fell when exiting a bar'. Som nom na, as they say hereabouts.

I know a 71yo man who recently separated from a long term bad marriage, He bought a new house, which he has just finished renovating inside and out, this included clambering around on the roof and filling and painting every room. He owns a fishing boat which he launches off a beach solo. He is an active, participating member of HHH and frequently goes on camping, prospecting trips to remote bushland areas. A few years ago he completed a trip down the Canning Stock route (look it up).

He spent several weeks just before xmas building a tree house for his grandkids. He is frequently called upon to help his married children with domestic jobs like paving, brick laying and painting. He visited with me in Thailand last year and spent several days checking out Patong's tourist attractions.

In his spare time he picks up some extra cash by doing migration agent work for friends in the business. He is a long way from being a " silly old fool" who shouldn't be travelling alone.

I've also heard of a 72yo man who pilots vintage planes, alone, and even managed to crash land it on a golf course without killing himself.

I think the only old things on this thread are the attitudes of some posters who have trouble keeping up with current social norms.

OC

66yo

The World population is ageing, everybody knows that. It may have been most unusual for a 71 year old to go alone on a foreign holiday 50 years ago, but not anymore. It's commonplace and as the population ages even more then expect this sort of beaviour to increase. It doesn't just apply to elderly single males visiting Thai hotspots either, plenty of spinsters can be seen roaming around the globe.

Perhaps it is time for the Insurance Industry to reconsider its harsh penalty rates for the older traveller. If affordable rates do not become available, then incidents such as this will increase. However I'm sure that for every non-insured elderly person who gets into trouble such as this, there are tens of thousands who take the risk and get away with it.

Edited by Toknarok

Neeranam said, "No doubt I'll feel young when I am 70. My father actually seems to be getting more juvenile as he nears 80. Last year he said if he outlives my mother he's coming over here to find a new model. I think he was serious.facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd Doe guys in their 70s really have a strong sex drive?"

Well, I can't speak for others, but sex drive is one of those things that hasn't really changed for me. However, finding a newer model for many older men may not be as much for sex as for the companionship. I know other men, even in their fifties, who are old men already--they look, act, and apparently feel old. I think it has a lot to do with your approach to life, but more importantly, the state of your health and your ability to support yourself comfortably. If you are sickly, even at thirty, you don't have too much to enjoy. If you are broke, well, I could never be happy--most of the things I like may be free, but the tangent necessities cost money. I don't want to live a minimalist existence, especially in retirement. Perhaps I am lucky with health, but I planned my finances. I still enjoy, and can afford, most of the things I used to do--the companionship of a good woman, spending time with my family, watching my son and grandson mature, learning something new daily, enjoying the company of friends, travel and seeing new sights, riding my bike with my bros, partying on all occasions, enjoying a good meal, appreciating a good-looking woman, having a comfortable abode, keeping up with my favorite sports, research and writing on several topics, discussing socio-political situations, instigating debate on any topic, etc., ad infinitum.

I made a wee donation. You never know. Even with all the best laid plans made by man, due to circumstances out of our control, it could be us that needs a leg up one day.

Don't expect to get it from many of the miserable baskets on here, if most [but not all] of the posters on here saw you dying in the gutter they would not give a damn or a penny.

The private hospital bills have skyrocketed to about $80,000, according to his daughter, and neither Mr Taylor nor his family are able to pay them.
The hospital has offered to waive the fees if his family can organise his transfer from the facility as soon as possible,

Considering all the bad press and accusations BHP get, seems to me, BHP are doing an honorable thing, I know a lot of posters have never been involved in private health care in farangistan, as most have availed themselves to "free medical care" but I have been under private medical schemes for just about my whole like in many countries including some farangistan ones, and I would wager no private hospital would in farangistan would waive any fees after treating someone to the tune of 80k

so well done BHP

It is nice to see the hospital is waiving their fee.

But the bill hospital bills are often much higher than they should have been because they thought he had Insurance.

eg

A friend of mine 60+ slipped over when exiting a shower in a hotel in Bangkok.

Broke 3 bones in his shoulder

Went to one of the large hospitals in Bangkok

They wanted to operate and screw a steel plate in and charge 500,000bt

His Australian Insurance company refused to pay this outrageous amount.

Instead the Insurance company booked him back to Australia on Qantas business class even he had a return economy ticket,.

The next day he was admitted to a public hospital in Canberra who said no need for a plate, just reset the plaster cast properly

This saved the Insurance Co 500,000bt, less the cost of his flight

If a Thai Hospital knows you have insurance they will pad the bills and do medical procedures that aren't necessary so as to be able to charge even more

It is nice to see the hospital is waiving their fee.

But the bill hospital bills are often much higher than they should have been because they thought he had Insurance.

whether the bill is inflated or not is irrelevant, the only legal obligation a private hospital has is to stablise someone, after this was done and they it transpired he didn't have insurance, they could have requested he vacate the premises

so whether its $800, $8000 or $80,000 its irrelevant, there where under no obligation to treat him

Further as it sits right now the Hospital could sue him for non-payment as he cant pay his bill.

I really hate these cyber beggars. Last time there was this Canadian guy who crashed on motorbike and the family set up a cyber begging account with a picture of family on front of a big house and a Benz. Sell the car. Sell the house. People just don't want to use their own money. Disgusting. The hospital is already doing a pretty damn nice thing already.

I really hate these cyber beggars. Last time there was this Canadian guy who crashed on motorbike and the family set up a cyber begging account with a picture of family on front of a big house and a Benz. Sell the car. Sell the house. People just don't want to use their own money. Disgusting. The hospital is already doing a pretty damn nice thing already.

Cyber begging is a huge and growing business numerous websites on how setup and beg.

CREATE YOUR OWN PERSONAL ONLINE DO​NATION SITE.

A fast and easy way to receive money online.

If you have a look at some, there are things like getting married in November and can't afford the honeymoon of our dreams. Need money, please help. People open up thier wallets.

• Like 1

He is 71 and he travels without insurance! Now that is what I call foolish!

It is difficult to find travel insurance if over 70.

My mum is 77. She travels quite a lot. She has no issues getting insurance.

• Like 1