Australian mum appeals for funds to bring 'trapped' father home from Thailand hospital

webfact

The chap has lived here since 2002 so undoubtably an aged pension recipient,unless he travels home to Oz regularly he would not be eligable for travel insurance and medical insurance is not available to 70 year olds.

If I ever have to choose between living in Thailand or medical care back home, my insurance will consist of a razor blade. The thought of being stuck in an old folks facility back home is enough to make death the better option.

However, in the OP's case, if the hospital took him without checking he had insurance, he is their problem, and if they want him gone, they should pay.

Does anyone know what would happen in the event that one is unable to pay for hospital care, and one is seriously injured/ sick?

Probably let ya die.

My bad for not being specific.

What would happen if one was in hospital, being treated, and couldn't pay? Would they actually push you out the door and let you die in the street?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some people can't afford insurance. 3,000 baht a month is huge for some people.

What a lovely hospital. Putting health before money.

Once again if I knew where to donate I would put in a bit.

$ 3000 THB/Month sounds quite low for a plan to cover a 71 year old. I carry a decent policy now at 56 that runs me $ 52,000 for the year. Likely to go up next year. If there's a good plan out there at $ 36,000, I'd love to know about it.

Agree on hospital's move. Noteworthy.

What? You pay US$4333 a month? Or 4333 Thai baht? You have a dollar sign there. Even full US insurance for an individual is less than that.

$52k a year lol. you need to cancel right away.

The chap has lived here since 2002 so undoubtably an aged pension recipient,unless he travels home to Oz regularly he would not be eligable for travel insurance and medical insurance is not available to 70 year olds.

If I ever have to choose between living in Thailand or medical care back home, my insurance will consist of a razor blade. The thought of being stuck in an old folks facility back home is enough to make death the better option.

However, in the OP's case, if the hospital took him without checking he had insurance, he is their problem, and if they want him gone, they should pay.

Does anyone know what would happen in the event that one is unable to pay for hospital care, and one is seriously injured/ sick?

i heard you get transfered to a government hospital where care is terrible. from there its just maintenance and basics until you recover on your own or expire.

Just to get things in perspective I got a quote from insureandgo.com. I got quotes ranging from 137 - 247 Dollars (I assume AUD) for a 71 year old person travelling a month to Thailand (cover for Asia). So that is around 6.300 THB for the most expensive cover.
Travelinsurancedirect quoted me 300 AUD for the same trip which is 7650 THB.

Both apparently had no trouble insuring a person aged 71, so insurance is definitely available if you are a traveller.

But it is a totally different picture if you live here. A lot of local Thai insurances will not cover you after 65 - so you will need to get the "expat" like products, which could be pricy.

i heard you get transfered to a government hospital where care is terrible. from there its just maintenance and basics until you recover on your own or expire.

Then you have heard wrong about Govt hospitals, I have been in them both as a patient and as support for patients and know.

They are not like private hospitals where the first thing they check is the size of your wallet.

• Like 2

Oh dear , you guys wont have much respect for me . 78 years old in Thailand. Too old for Travel Insurance,no company interested . Dont want to leave to a cold UK .Live with a G/F ,cheaper than a UK private matron type nurse. Would be Hell on earth for me. So if I die here then burn me here. Still I plan to make love on my 80th birthday and beyond. No chance in the UK.wub.png

• Like 2

Just to get things in perspective I got a quote from insureandgo.com. I got quotes ranging from 137 - 247 Dollars (I assume AUD) for a 71 year old person travelling a month to Thailand (cover for Asia). So that is around 6.300 THB for the most expensive cover.

Both apparently had no trouble insuring a person aged 71, so insurance is definitely available if you are a traveller.

But it is a totally different picture if you live here. A lot of local Thai insurances will not cover you after 65 - so you will need to get the "expat" like products, which could be pricy.

Precisely. My earlier post gave my quotes. The difference between getting insured as a traveller aged 73 (max 90 days per trip) and being an expat living here was tenfold for the latter.

Oh dear , you guys wont have much respect for me . 78 years old in Thailand. Too old for Travel Insurance,no company interested . Dont want to leave to a cold UK .Live with a G/F ,cheaper than a UK private matron type nurse. Would be Hell on earth for me. So if I die here then burn me here. Still I plan to make love on my 80th birthday and beyond. No chance in the UK.wub.png

What about this one?

post-222557-14261670544824_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Then you have heard wrong about Govt hospitals, I have been in them both as a patient and as support for patients and know.

They are not like private hospitals where the first thing they check is the size of your wallet.

The size of your wallet can kill you, good to see they get straight onto this.

what happen to this guy ... ?

Did he ever make it back to his home ... Adelaide I think it was .. ???

She has stopped posting updates on the Facebook page and dropped off the radar.

thanks chooka, suggests to me she either raised enough or secured another source ...

[/quote

thanks chooka, suggests to me she either raised enough or secured another source ...

. They have only raised 22K so far, you would think that the OZ government would help out here considering the fact that they have just offered to pay all the expenses to keep a couple of drug traffickers in an Indonesian prison for life, whereas someone like Malcom who has actually contributed to society and payed taxes for his 40+ years working life gets no help.
  • Like 2

Most good credut card coverage provides travel insurance with purchase of tickets. no matter the age

or got the money and run

Most good credut card coverage provides travel insurance with purchase of tickets. no matter the age

Can we assume you live in Thailand and have a credit card?

Just look at the way the Australian goverment treat their pensioners . I see Thai dogs treated better . Just became a drug runner and they will go all out to help . Work for for 50 years and pay taxes and they will treat you with no respect . The Australian goverment is shitt

• Like 1

[/quote

. They have only raised 22K so far, you would think that the OZ government would help out here considering the fact that they have just offered to pay all the expenses to keep a couple of drug traffickers in an Indonesian prison for life, whereas someone like Malcom who has actually contributed to society and payed taxes for his 40+ years working life gets no help.
The criminal element and other assorted pieces of excrement are adored and loved in Australia. Live a good life and do the right thing and the government wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Become a criminal and you will be embraced.
  • Like 1