Cancel work permit or let it expire?

Next week my school closes for break but I am still under contract til April 30th. So both my visa and work permit are set to expire on April 30th. I think my school is unlikely to cancel the work permit because I am still under contract til the end of April even if my physical working has stopped. I am leaving this job and right now I am planning on just leaving Thailand on April 30th and coming back on a tourist visa when I start my new job. Is it ok for me to let my work permit expire and leave on the day it ends and my visa ends or do I need to cancel it and turn it in to the Department of Labor? I just don't want to have any issues when I get a new one down the road. Also can my employer cancel the work permit before my contract date since my physical teaching has finished?

Is it correct that the Department of Labor does not share information about a canceled work permit with Immigration in case the school were to cancel my work permit without telling me. As it stands I am in possession of my work permit. Thanks for any information posters can provide in answering these questions.

Edited by tjsmith

Follow up question when I leave the country on April 30th do I need to show immigration a copy of my work contract or a letter from my school showing that I am done working for my employer on this date which is why I am leaving to get a new visa? Or do I not need to worry about this and just leave the country after my visa expires without any further documentation showing my contract has ended?

I had a somewhat similar question and was about to post it, but found this thread and it's similar. Rather than start a new thread, hope it is OK to tag this one on here.

I have a work permit and non-imm B visa at a branch office establishment here. The head office in the UK will be closing the office and letting everyone go, myself included. Following that, I am planning to stay anyway, so the question is:

Although branch office will be legally closed and I will not being paid by them, would I have any problems if I just keep my visa until it expires, leave then, and get a different visa before I return? Or perhaps cancel it before its expiration and then leave?

Cheers in advance...

I had a somewhat similar question and was about to post it, but found this thread and it's similar. Rather than start a new thread, hope it is OK to tag this one on here.

I have a work permit and non-imm B visa at a branch office establishment here. The head office in the UK will be closing the office and letting everyone go, myself included. Following that, I am planning to stay anyway, so the question is:

Although branch office will be legally closed and I will not being paid by them, would I have any problems if I just keep my visa until it expires, leave then, and get a different visa before I return? Or perhaps cancel it before its expiration and then leave?

Cheers in advance...

The proper procedure is to cancel you extension by presenting a letter stating the date your job ends. You can go to immigration a couple of days before that date and they will cancel the extension on the date the letter states. Then leave the country by that date to get a tourist visa.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful reply, Joe. I realise your advice is the proper way to do it. Not wanting to have any difficulties with Thai immigration in the future, I shall go forth with the proper way per your advice. My plan is to do a non-imm OA retirement visa, so I will just get started with that early rather than waiting out the expiration of my current non-imm B.

If you let it expire, you will have trouble if you want to get another one in the future. Best in my opinion is to take it to Labour wqhere you got it and turn it in. They will give you a letter stating you turned it in (which Immigaration may demand later).