Preparation for a colonoscopy

bbabythai

I'm booked in for a colonoscopy which will be covered by my work insurance- done at a local govt hospital. The dr seems confident and competent but he did say that there was a 1 in 5000 chance of a puncture to the intestine. If he removes a polp or does a biopsy on my intestine is there significant risk? What happens if a puncture does happen? Do they have to do surgery right away?

The dr says that 2 days prior I can only have low fibre diet (ie porridge or rice soup) and then 1 day prior I can only have liquid diet all day. Is this correct. I thought that I would have to take something a day prior to clean out the pipes.

Nothing was mentioned about taking an anesthetic during the procedure. I think I would rather not have one and just go with the flow and breath deep whilst its going on. Is this the best?

Finally, if you've had one before how long does it take?

thanks

I had once a colonoscopy. I can tell you only, how it worked out in my case.

So far i remember, i had to drink the liquid low fibre diet only one day before the procedure. But not sure anymore... Anesthetic was not given, but i got some medicine which should help to relax. The intervention was completely painless. The doctor found a polyp, and cut it out with his multi-tool. I felt nothing. Later the labor analyzed it and luckily it was benignant.

The entire procedure took about 20-30 minutes. It feels a little bit uncomfortable, but at least, no pain.

I don't know if this is helping you. Sorry, i was only the patient smile.png

The worst thing actually was to drink the bad smelling drink the day before.

Edited by alocacoc

The risk of puncture is very low. If there is a puncture, it may not be noticeable straight away. A few days latter you might see bright red blood when you defecate. Sometimes an operation is required to close the puncture. In an extreme case you might also need a blood transfusion.

Preparation for colonoscopy varies greatly here in my experience. I've been told to limit myself to liquid food. I'be been told only white food. And, most recently, I was told I could eat normally up until the night before the procedure.

Your doctor should have prescribed a powerful laxative to be taken before the procedure. You simply can't have the procedure if there's any significant amount of solid matter in the bowel. If you haven't, you should check with the doctor before booking the procedure.

It is possible to have the procedure without anaesthetic, but I wouldn't recommend it. Best to be passed out and have no recollection of what happened.

It doesn't take long. Less than an hour.

OP.....I have had them done in the States and you are correct. The day before is terrible. Have to drink about 4 litters of a laxative with some other stuff.

However, I had one done at Bumrungrad about a year ago, and to my surprise, I had to come about 4 hours prior to the procedure and I drank a much more manageable amount of laxative with some pills. Maybe that's how they do it here? They will almost certainly give you something before the procedure, but like I said, in my case......just several hours before.....thank god! So much better than back home!

I would suggest calling the hospital and inquiring about this if I were you.

My only advice, if they try giving you castor oil, ask if you can take something else instead. That stuff is killer in terms of cramps and discomfort.

Edited by inbangkok

I've had 5 colonoscopies in last 20 years - 4 in US and 1 at Bumrungrad. The procedure was the same in all 5 - drink a bottle of terrible tasting laxative the evening before test and sit in bathroom half the night; the procedure was same also - they injected something in my IV that knocked me out and an hour or so later I woke up in recovery. 4 of my 5 tests have found a polyp and were removed (1 found at Bumrungrad also). They were each removed and I felt nothing.

BTW: At Bumrungrad I was given the laxative drink to take home and drink. But while I was waiting to be discharged, I spoke with a fellow who'd been ordered to show up 4-hours before the procedure and drink the laxative at Bumrungrad. Personally, I wouldn't care to be running to the bathroom every 10-minutes in a room full of people. (What if the toilets are all occupied when you have the urge?)

^ I would imagine the guy who got to drink that awful stuff there and then was told he needed the procedure urgently. It happened to me only a month ago, Doctor said he wanted to do the procedure that day,so I was stuck in the hospital waiting for 4 hours till I was empty, for some reason I felt very possesive about the toilet,it was MINE, and I got irritatated if anyone else used it, lucky for me as it happened there was another not to far away,but the hospital was not very busy that particular day. Anyway the result was ok, but as I still have stomach problems the doctor now wants to do an endoscopy on me, the preperation for that is much less stressful

I've had 5 colonoscopies in last 20 years - 4 in US and 1 at Bumrungrad. The procedure was the same in all 5 - drink a bottle of terrible tasting laxative the evening before test and sit in bathroom half the night; the procedure was same also - they injected something in my IV that knocked me out and an hour or so later I woke up in recovery. 4 of my 5 tests have found a polyp and were removed (1 found at Bumrungrad also). They were each removed and I felt nothing.

BTW: At Bumrungrad I was given the laxative drink to take home and drink. But while I was waiting to be discharged, I spoke with a fellow who'd been ordered to show up 4-hours before the procedure and drink the laxative at Bumrungrad. Personally, I wouldn't care to be running to the bathroom every 10-minutes in a room full of people. (What if the toilets are all occupied when you have the urge?)

You get your own private room, TV, chairs and bathroom at Bumrungrad. The rooms are probably a little under 10sq meters.

Over the last 25 years, I've had several colonoscopies -- both here and in the US. Every time, I've had to drink the purgative the night before -- and once take an enema as well before the procedure. A few times, the doctor's instrument was connected to a TV-like monitor and I've been able to watch and see what the doctor saw.. I've only been given a tranquilizer, so always conscious during the procedure. Uncomfortable but not painful; disagreeable but not distressing. More time in the recovery room afterward, so the whole process takes most of the morning and the afternoon is not one where you want to engage in strenuous activity.

All in all, I would say that the experience is a bit disagreeable but not intimidating, Endurable, if not too frequent.

• Like 1

In the UK , i had a flexible sigmoidoscopy, ( for want of a better description a half colonoscopy ) for which i had to self administer an enema prior to attending the hospital.

As they had to remove some polyps, i had to attend on another day and have a colonoscopy, for which i had to premix some powder in a litre of cold water ( i added some lime for the taste) 3 times, over a period of time the evening before.

No medication was given for either test, and i was connected to a tv monitor and could watch the whole thing, about 20/30 minutes in total. some discomfort but not real pain, i was examined as a result of some stomach pains, so the exam caused no more pain than that.

I think the thought of the exam is more stressful than the actual event.