Rejected at Burma / Thai border

I really like the Thai immigration on the Thai /Burmese borders,

Rather than stamping you out an than not allowing you back in, they tell you they will not allow you back in

so you can go look elsewhere. and your not stuck in nowhere.

• Like 1

I did actually ,that's why they turned me away ,because I got one from Burma after my triple stamp visa rejected is expired, in January so last month I went and got my extension from Chiang Mai immigration

You would have been allowed to leave for Myanmar (Burma was the old name) if you had a Burmese visa. However, since like so many others it seems unfathomable to spend just a few days outside of Thailand, which would help your cause, you're only putting yourself in a more difficult situation.

Fact is, unless you have a non-immigrant extension of stay or multi entry visa such as a non-O or non-B, staying continuously followed by regular border runs is not an option. The best you can hope for if you don't qualify for a non-imm visa is a double entry tourist visa (TV) in Laos. Both entries can be extended so you get 90 days in the country at a time (60+30 days) followed by a same day border run and then another 90 days.

You could of course also get another triple entry from back home or a country that issues them or try for a second and then possibly third double entry TV from Laos, but may need to provide proof of income. That would be the best way of allowing you to stay for a while at least, but more long-term options should be considered in time.

I really like the Thai immigration on the Thai /Burmese borders,

Rather than stamping you out an than not allowing you back in, they tell you they will not allow you back in

so you can go look elsewhere. and your not stuck in nowhere.

That's only done because of the border runners and the dual immigration system Myanmar operates. On Aug 28, 2013, Myanmar opened 4 Thai-Myanmar checkpoints for overland travel with a Myanmar visa in your passport. This applies to citizens of all countries, including those that have visa-free access if they arrive by air, they still need a visa to enter by land. So effectively Myanmar does not allow entry by land without a visa to anyone, except traders/locals from the neighboring country/foreigners that are just visiting the border area, usually for a day and then return the way they came.

Prior to this date, you could only travel in the vicinity of the border crossing on either a day pass or a 3 day or 14 day pass, depending on what the border authorities allowed. Each border was different - Mae Sot/Myawady has always been just day return only, Mae Sai/Tachilek was day return only years back, then two options, day return for US$5, 14 days for US$10, then US$10 in all instances, but you would have to tell the authorities if you wanted to stay more than one day in which case you were given a pass. Ranong/Kawthoung used to be 3 days/2 nights then they increased it to 14 days I believe. The new Phu Nam Ron/Thee Khee border allowed 7 day passes to travel to Dawei, then stopped them for a few months and now they are issuing them again. The border authorities would normally hold onto your passport in these cases and you could only retrieve it once you handed them the small plastic tag they gave you as a deposit for your passport in order to re-enter Thailand.

Some visitors with special permission and a permit from the authorities could enter and/or leave at a land border prior to Aug 2013, but permission was difficult to get, took at least 2 weeks and wasn't guaranteed so the vast majority of visitors entered by air, except border runners and day trippers, but they never went far inside the country as they weren't allowed to.

However, since Aug 28, 2013 all 4 border crossings have also kept the old visa-less system, strangely not scrapping them (with the exception of the short-lived scrapping of the policy at the Phu Nam Ron crossing) meaning that if you don't have a visa, you won't be able to continue further inside the country but are nevertheless still allowed to enter as before.

Thai immigration knows this, so they will check your passport for a Myanmar visa. If you don't have one, they know you will be forced to re-enter Thailand and the use of the Myanmar crossings by this method is proof that you are trying to renew your stay in Thailand. Hence if you aren't eligible to re-enter and you can't explain the purpose of your re-entry into Thailand you won't be allowed to leave.

I would like to add to this discussion a warning to all people who have been and/or still are engaging in 'border runnings'. The current Thai Government is changing many things, and many of them will stay after they leave power. I believe that one of the changes to stay will be the crackdown on the complicated and clearly decitful practice of 'border runnings'. Lets face it, the rules are clear - if not enforced - and what has become a common practice of doing these 'runs' as a means to get around the rules, are coming to an end. The Thai Goverment will (slowly) start enforcing the rules to stop people who are staying in Thailand by these dubious means. Now before anyone starts ranting about being a good person and spending money etc etc - the rules are there to stop 'bad' people coming and going at will (see global issues) and also to stop people who abuse the 'right' to live in Thailand. If you are from an 'approved' country (most) there are many means to obtain a long term Visa to stay in Thailand long term. Unfortunately some people dont fit into any of these catagories and they will have trouble staying long term in the future. But they should think about this - can a Thai person come and stay in their country indefinitely?

There is rumour that the Thai Govt is looking at changing the Visa rules to make it easier for 'desirable' persons to stay longer - anyone who knows Thai ways will know this could take a long time. Meanwhile, anyone doing this border running practice should reconsider how they do it, and as per the good advice of vinniekintana and others, plan ahead and have a plan B and C. Better still, if you can afford it, then take the advice of some who advise to fly back home (or to another approriate country) and then come back again a few days later. This whole area is being reviewed and will change in the future, til then irregular and random enforcement will occur more and more - I suggest you should be prepared for the worst if you try in the near future. I also suggest that you do this even if someone says on TV "I just did it and there was no problem". Besides the fact that some idiots deliberately post false posts as they think it is funny, the border rules enforcement will be irregular and random - the next one to be in this guy's situation could be you.

• Like 2

I sympathise with the OP's personal situation which makes him unable to earn a living. On the other hand I also think it is pointless to criticise the Thai government for attempting to enforce its immigration laws more effectively that was the case in the past. Farangs tend not to understand that they are just the tip of the iceberg. There are an estimated 2 million foreigners working illegally in Thailand of whom a relatively small proportion are farangs. Financial hurdles for long-term stay extensions were set at levels that seemed reasonable to Thai officials at the time and have not been increased for many years but will eventually be adjusted for inflation. Thais are getting increasingly resentful at the treatment they receive from other countries and pressure for reciprocity has started, e.g. immediate deportation of Koreans caught working illegally because that's what they do to Thais.

Unfortunately things are only likely to get tougher.

The visa is an issue but I would much rather live in Thailand on $900 than in the US!

OP, go to Laos and get the tourist visa for now. If you get married, I have read here you can get a 1 year multiple entry non-o visa in Savenhaket (sp?). You would only need to do a visa run every 90 days.

If you get married, you still need 40k month or 400k in the bank.

He's an American. whistling.gif

I don't know why, but I feel for this guy. Usually I don't if they are on the dole. I'm worried about him getting married with his issues, but it doesn't sound like finances would be the issues.

Good luck in the future, OP.

You need to get the most entries that you can on a tourist visa, and you need to pay strict attention to the use by dates, its no good making plans for a month away not knowing how you are going to stay here until then.

Thailand doesn't really want long stay young people here, as they fear they will be working, or worse to finance their stay here, that's the reason for the clamp down on visa exempt entries and Ed visa's.

I love the excuse, oh but i spend money here. Therefore i should be able to do anything i please. I myself wish the Thai government would makes the visa rules much more difficult. Likely all the riff raff would have to leave and the numerous foreigner criminals would think twice about hiding here. If your unable to follow the rules please leave..

I would like to add to this discussion a warning to all people who have been and/or still are engaging in 'border runnings'. The current Thai Government is changing many things, and many of them will stay after they leave power. I believe that one of the changes to stay will be the crackdown on the complicated and clearly decitful practice of 'border runnings'. Lets face it, the rules are clear - if not enforced - and what has become a common practice of doing these 'runs' as a means to get around the rules, are coming to an end. The Thai Goverment will (slowly) start enforcing the rules to stop people who are staying in Thailand by these dubious means. Now before anyone starts ranting about being a good person and spending money etc etc - the rules are there to stop 'bad' people coming and going at will (see global issues) and also to stop people who abuse the 'right' to live in Thailand. If you are from an 'approved' country (most) there are many means to obtain a long term Visa to stay in Thailand long term. Unfortunately some people dont fit into any of these catagories and they will have trouble staying long term in the future. But they should think about this - can a Thai person come and stay in their country indefinitely?

There is rumour that the Thai Govt is looking at changing the Visa rules to make it easier for 'desirable' persons to stay longer - anyone who knows Thai ways will know this could take a long time. Meanwhile, anyone doing this border running practice should reconsider how they do it, and as per the good advice of vinniekintana and others, plan ahead and have a plan B and C. Better still, if you can afford it, then take the advice of some who advise to fly back home (or to another approriate country) and then come back again a few days later. This whole area is being reviewed and will change in the future, til then irregular and random enforcement will occur more and more - I suggest you should be prepared for the worst if you try in the near future. I also suggest that you do this even if someone says on TV "I just did it and there was no problem". Besides the fact that some idiots deliberately post false posts as they think it is funny, the border rules enforcement will be irregular and random - the next one to be in this guy's situation could be you.

That's only done because of the border runners and the dual immigration system Myanmar operates. On Aug 28, 2013, Myanmar opened 4 Thai-Myanmar checkpoints for overland travel with a Myanmar visa in your passport. This applies to citizens of all countries, including those that have visa-free access if they arrive by air, they still need a visa to enter by land. So effectively Myanmar does not allow entry by land without a visa to anyone, except traders/locals from the neighboring country/foreigners that are just visiting the border area, usually for a day and then return the way they came.

Tom TOM:

above BOLD is not true

MY Cambodian gf just did a border run for her 1 year non b thai visa at Ranong.last week.

she was stamped into Burma for 14 days for FREE. I asked them if she could travel inside Burma an they said "of course, she has a visa free stamp"

Its stamped EHEMP.

I went across with her and did the visa with her in the office, without being stamped out of Thailand as i am on a 1 year retirement extension and just went for the boat ride

SO they let me leave an come back

If you get married, you still need 40k month or 400k in the bank.

That is for a one year Visa.

But to qualify for a Non Immigrant O - marriage, single entry, its not necessary, to show so much.

Just, if asked have to show a much lesser amount, is enough.

Getting my Non Immigrant O reason - having children with Thai woman, I had until now,

never to show money or Bankbook at Vientiane Thai Consular section or in my home country,

or for extensions in Thai Immigration in Thailand.

Edited by ALFREDO

You may be able to get a visa outside the country based on marriage to a Thai without showing 40k income or 400k in the bank, but when you come to do yearly extensions inside Thailand you will be asked to prove you have the necessary finances. It doesn't matter how little you personally need to live on but whether you satisfy Immigration that you comply with the rules.

To be clear $900 is a lot to me ,I was homeless for 10 years I could live off 400 in Thailand.

I live in 900 and month not 400

You mentioned USD 400:- and I just replied hypothetically......USD 900:- is about 27.000 baht and having a wife, maybe children (for sure) and a home, you will need much more than 27.000 baht my friend..

Sorry, I really do not want to cast a shadow over your dreams, but I think that maybe you need some kind of contact with mother earth!! Just now you do not have the means to live here!!

Glegolo

Not if he doesn't live an arrogant Hey Look A Me I'm A Farang Who's Better Than You lifestyle.

The MAJORITY of Thai people live on less than 27,000B/month, with families.

If he lives like a humble Thai person, you can live quite well on that in Thailand...

• Like 2

Again better to live on $900 in Thailand then the US IMO. English teachers dont make a lot more than that.

Besides, no chance of a love life in the US on SSDI. No money no honey. That is a middle income here.

Edited by BKKSnowBird
  • Like 1

I hope the OP has chosen his Thai finance wisely. Someone with a nice job with a good insurance program that will allow her to include a foreign husband as a beneficiary. He won't be automatically able to obtain Thai health insurance just by marriage to a Thai lady, but some Thai ladies in the right jobs are able to obtain good insurance for their foreign husbands.

One often overlooked advantage of being on SSDI is that the recipient has access to free medical care in the U.S. -- no so in Thailand. It seems that the OPs condition is controlled now, but that may not be the case in the future. He says his finance is in Chiang Mai. That's a great place for health care, but there is no free health care for foreigners.

This will be a big issue for someone with a budget of just $900 per month.

Edited by NancyL

I hope the OP has chosen his Thai finance wisely. Someone with a nice job with a good insurance program that will allow her to include a foreign husband as a beneficiary. He won't be automatically able to obtain Thai health insurance just by marriage to a Thai lady, but some Thai ladies in the right jobs are able to obtain good insurance for their foreign husbands.

One often overlooked advantage of being on SSDI is that the recipient has access to free medical care in the U.S. -- no so in Thailand. It seems that the OPs condition is controlled now, but that may not be the case in the future. He says his finance is in Chiang Mai. That's a great place for health care, but there is no free health care for foreigners.

This will be a big issue for someone with a budget of just $900 per month.

"fiancee" (written with no accents - which is both right and wrong in English)

I think the OP is young and only needs to leave a troubled past behind. His US benefits will not go away with him staying in Thailand. No reason to worry too much, good luck to him them.

Tom TOM:

above BOLD is not true

MY Cambodian gf just did a border run for her 1 year non b thai visa at Ranong.last week.

she was stamped into Burma for 14 days for FREE. I asked them if she could travel inside Burma an they said "of course, she has a visa free stamp"

Its stamped EHEMP.

I went across with her and did the visa with her in the office, without being stamped out of Thailand as i am on a 1 year retirement extension and just went for the boat ride

I haven't heard that Myanmar has yet started to allow visa free entry that allows you to travel further inside the country. I suspect your girlfriend got the standard 14 day stamp everyone gets without a visa and if she tried to travel to Myeik or anywhere else by ferry for example, she would be denied. This 14 day stamp only allows travel within the vicinity of Kawthoung.

There have been rumours visa free entry for eligible nationalities or visa on arrival for others will be implemented at the 4 Thai-Myanmar borders soon, but hasn't started so far.

Tom TOM:

above BOLD is not true

Its stamped EHEMP.

I haven't heard that Myanmar has yet started to allow visa free entry that allows you to travel further inside the country. I suspect your girlfriend got the standard 14 day stamp everyone gets without a visa and if she tried to travel to Myeik or anywhere else by ferry for example, she would be denied. This 14 day stamp only allows travel within the vicinity of Kawthoung.

There have been rumours visa free entry for eligible nationalities or visa on arrival for others will be implemented at the 4 Thai-Myanmar borders soon, but hasn't started so far.

His cambodian gf can get 14-day visa exemption between Mymanmar and Cambodia

http://www.mofa.gov.mm/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/382233440-List-of-Countries-Having-Bilateral-Visa-Waiver-Agreement-with-Myanmar.pdf

Thank you OHNG:

as i said i asked if she could travel anywhere and they said YES!!

PLUS it was free not the usual $10 they charge

this is the NEW stamp note the code EHEMP.

One from last year top right

post-7922-0-94876300-1425876899_thumb.jp

post-7922-0-00457000-1425877057_thumb.jp

Edited by phuketrichard