Very strange happening with my 2003 Honda City

Dario

Once the Cars Started it doesn't rely on the Battery these days.Having said that something usually overheats without a complete perfect system after an hour or so..sad.png

It doesn't rely on the battery to supply power when running but it does complete the circuit for alternator and the rest of the electrical system.

Once the Cars Started it doesn't rely on the Battery these days.Having said that something usually overheats without a complete perfect system after an hour or so..sad.png

It doesn't rely on the battery to supply power when running but it does complete the circuit for alternator and the rest of the electrical system.

Thats what i said isnt it..?.or is a Portuguese translation that Bad.biggrin.png

There are circumstances when the engine is running when a battery is still necessary.

For example. Engine at idle (therefore low alternator output), lights on, wipers on, air con on with blower on max, music on, heated rear window on (unlikely in Thailand I know) etc. In those circs with some vehicles the alternator will not be supplying enough current to meet the requirement and the battery supplies the balance.

But getting back to the OPs problem a little more I am pretty sure the root cause is a slipping alternator belt.

But if the mech got the tension on that one wrong better check them all as the ac belt tension is harder to get right so he probably got that one wrong too.

When you had the air con repaired the mechanic probably would have removed one of the battery leads then when he replaced it forgot to tighten it.

That could explain the problems you have experienced.

I wish it would be just that. I checked but they are tight. Monday my wife will call Honda Road Assistance and ask them to send a mechanic early Tuesday morning to see if he can fix the problem, if not we ask him to have it brought to Honda AV Cars in Surin. Wify is busy at the local temple for 10 days until Monday night. She just told me there are now almost 200 monks and lay women there, all need to be fed, that's the reason for the delay. I don't mind, if we need a lift, we can use the temple's car and driver.

There are circumstances when the engine is running when a battery is still necessary.

For example. Engine at idle (therefore low alternator output), lights on, wipers on, air con on with blower on max, music on, heated rear window on (unlikely in Thailand I know) etc. In those circs with some vehicles the alternator will not be supplying enough current to meet the requirement and the battery supplies the balance.

But getting back to the OPs problem a little more I am pretty sure the root cause is a slipping alternator belt.

But if the mech got the tension on that one wrong better check them all as the ac belt tension is harder to get right so he probably got that one wrong too.

Re your point Battery... Various Diodes and Thyristors need an imput before it will start ,this is quiet a hi smack.The System run through is hardly noticeable till the battery is 2 years old. Leave all the things on you mentioned ITG and watch them run through the control unit pre check.Try it at night and see. Interesting. This is Honda so may not apply to all.thumbsup.gif

All you can get here on TV are opinions because none of us can do any testing. Take it to your Honda dealer for the definitive answer. My opinion is that you need to clean the battery terminals or a new battery or the alternator belt is slipping or you need a new or rebuilt alternator. I suppose it is possible that when you had work done on the AC the belt on the alternator was loosened. But just another opinion. If you have a battery charger charge the battery to get enough power to get you to your dealer. If you know what your alternator belt is you can check it for looseness by pushing on it. If it deflects more then about a cm it is loose. Batteries last 2-3 years. Alternators a couple hundred thousand kms. Get it to the shop.

• Like 1

That could be faulty battery to chassis cable,or other main component faulty grounding.

Normally mechanics are very bad at finding grounding problems, and will replace countless perfectly working components before.

• Like 1

Re your point Battery... Various Diodes and Thyristors need an imput before it will start ,this is quiet a hi smack.The System run through is hardly noticeable till the battery is 2 years old. Leave all the things on you mentioned ITG and watch them run through the control unit pre check.Try it at night and see. Interesting. This is Honda so may not apply to all.thumbsup.gif

Really?

Maybe you should talk to a qualified auto electrical engineer.

The laws of physics apply even to Honda.

And shiny and new in a factory is best case scenario and it is all downhill from there.

Honda is not what it used to be. My ex-gf had a civic that always had AC issues i.e. no cool air. She had an extended warranty so brought it in countless times to be fixed. It would work for a week then hot air again. Then she met me. I told her to try a different dealer. They inspected the car and when we came back to get the car they said take it to the previous dealer who worked on it. I grabbed the mechanic on the side and asked for the truth. Honest kid told me the units in almost all those civics were crap and they were just taping it up until her warranty expire to avoid giving her a new AC. I found on the internet that what he said was true. You have to check what complaints are circulating on the internet before you buy. I understand its an economy vehicle and I understand parts fail but dishonest customer service is unacceptable. We dumped it and she bought a Scion. Never again Honda.

Honda is not what it used to be. My ex-gf had a civic that always had AC issues i.e. no cool air. She had an extended warranty so brought it in countless times to be fixed. It would work for a week then hot air again. Then she met me. I told her to try a different dealer. They inspected the car and when we came back to get the car they said take it to the previous dealer who worked on it. I grabbed the mechanic on the side and asked for the truth. Honest kid told me the units in almost all those civics were crap and they were just taping it up until her warranty expire to avoid giving her a new AC. I found on the internet that what he said was true. You have to check what complaints are circulating on the internet before you buy. I understand its an economy vehicle and I understand parts fail but dishonest customer service is unacceptable. We dumped it and she bought a Scion. Never again Honda.

Well there you go...one bad civic at a dishonest dealer proves all Honda's are garbage. OP should sell his vehicle in a broken state and buy a scion. But he will have to import one from North America to do so. When he is selling his broken vehicle should he be honest and tell the potential buyer of all the known problems? Did you instruct your ex to disclose the AC problem to the potential buyers? That is what an honest person would do.

If the civic was under Honda certified extended warranty Honda would be the one who paid for parts and labor. They wouldn't be getting paid to work on the same problem repeatedly.

Sounds very complicated but the problem your having will be dead battery, corroded battery cables, loose earth cable or your alternator which needs replacing.

I'm 100% sure of the above mentioned to be your problem. In a much newer model with the same behavior I Would have said it was the BCU ( body control module ) messing around.

Good luck, I hope you get her back on the road in no time.

Well there you go...one bad civic at a dishonest dealer proves all Honda's are garbage. OP should sell his vehicle in a broken state and buy a scion. But he will have to import one from North America to do so. When he is selling his broken vehicle should he be honest and tell the potential buyer of all the known problems? Did you instruct your ex to disclose the AC problem to the potential buyers? That is what an honest person would do.

If the civic was under Honda certified extended warranty Honda would be the one who paid for parts and labor. They wouldn't be getting paid to work on the same problem repeatedly.

(DELETED) Troll / Flaming

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1894-honda-air-conditioningcompressor-class-action-settlement/

"A federal judge has approved a class action lawsuit settlement for current and former owners and lessees of more than 1 million Honda Odyssey, CR-V and Acura TSX cars that allegedly suffered from broken air conditioning systems that manufacturers refused to fix under warranty.

The Honda air conditioning settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit, entitled Alin v. American Honda Motor Company, Inc., that alleges certain Honda Odyssey, Honda CR-V and Acura TSX vehicles contain problems with the air conditioning condensers or compressors. The lawsuit alleges that the Odyssey is unduly prone to damage to the condenser from road debris, and that the CR-V and TSX suffer excessive failures of compressors.

Honda denies these allegations, but has agreed to a nearly $40 million class action lawsuit settlement to resolve the litigation."

Now where is your supporting evidence?

Edited by seedy

I'm guessing that you have never had a car with a on board computer ( aka , fuel management system) , this will be the problem. Had this myself several times ( last one was a Jaguar) Display reported several faults, engine not idling correctly, air con not working, temp too high after just starting car from cold ETC ( there was none) , Jaguar (UK) replaced the computer, problem solved.

Also had this on a Honda, Merc and a Kawasaki motorcycle.

Edited by lucifer666
  • Like 1

AC mechanic loosened the main ground wire on the body/engine or main power fuse, and now it's loose. This would explain the loss of electrical power (power steering is probably electric, too) and no amount of power from the alternator will keep things going.

Either side, power or ground have to complete the circuit. So something got disturbed in the AC fix.

Once the problem is solved, it will probably be a DOH! moment.

• Like 1

When you had the air con repaired the mechanic probably would have removed one of the battery leads then when he replaced it forgot to tighten it.

That was exactly what I was thinking

After my wife refreshed my memory: We once had the same problem with her 2003 Honda Jazz.

The instrument panel went crazy; control lights on and off , speedometer up and down.

It was just a dead battery, and with a new battery, everything was OK.

So; the alternator can not keep the car "alive" alone.

• Like 1

(DELETED) Troll / Flaming

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1894-honda-air-conditioningcompressor-class-action-settlement/

"A federal judge has approved a class action lawsuit settlement for current and former owners and lessees of more than 1 million Honda Odyssey, CR-V and Acura TSX cars that allegedly suffered from broken air conditioning systems that manufacturers refused to fix under warranty.

The Honda air conditioning settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit, entitled Alin v. American Honda Motor Company, Inc., that alleges certain Honda Odyssey, Honda CR-V and Acura TSX vehicles contain problems with the air conditioning condensers or compressors. The lawsuit alleges that the Odyssey is unduly prone to damage to the condenser from road debris, and that the CR-V and TSX suffer excessive failures of compressors.

Honda denies these allegations, but has agreed to a nearly $40 million class action lawsuit settlement to resolve the litigation."

Now where is your supporting evidence?

Supporting evidence for what? Your class action lawsuit you mentioned above has nothing to do with a Honda Civic your ex owned. Did she received a payment from that lawsuit? Anyone can type in "Honda air conditioning problem" or something similar into google and get some information. You can hate Honda"s all you want, but coming on here to tell everyone about one specific case is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the OPs questions.

Here is my supporting evidence. My friend Chad has a 2000 Honda Civic and his air conditioning works perfectly and always has.

I wish it would be just that. I checked but they are tight. Monday my wife will call Honda Road Assistance and ask them to send a mechanic early Tuesday morning to see if he can fix the problem, if not we ask him to have it brought to Honda AV Cars in Surin. Wify is busy at the local temple for 10 days until Monday night. She just told me there are now almost 200 monks and lay women there, all need to be fed, that's the reason for the delay. I don't mind, if we need a lift, we can use the temple's car and driver.

I think this is God`s way of telling you that your mechanical pride and joy is knackered and ready for the breakers yard.

Considering that the car is 12 years old anyway, my advice is to think seriously about trading this one in and buying a new vehicle.while your present car is still at least drivable or gives the semblance of being road worthy. As spending big amounts of money for repairs on a 12 year old car is not practical or viable.

• Like 1

I think this is God`s way of telling you that your mechanical pride and joy is knackered and ready for the breakers yard.

Considering that the car is 12 years old anyway, my advice is to think seriously about trading this one in and buying a new vehicle.while your present car is still at least drivable or gives the semblance of being road worthy. As spending big amounts of money for repairs on a 12 year old car is not practical or viable.

Beetlejuice

Thank you so much for telling me, I would never have thought about this.. . Well, my next car will be a 2008 MB E 220 CDI. A friend of mine is leaving Thailand later this year and I will take his car over.

• Like 1

Update:

This morning about 08:30 Honda Mondial Assistance came to pick up the car and bring it to AV Honda Cars in Surin. In the late afternoon they called and said they had checked all the wiring, there was nothing wrong, also the ground cable was on its place. They said they have to replace the "distart', dunno what exactly this is, the starter I guess, about 8'000+ Baht. At the same time they did a "recall" for free, they replaced the airbags. They have to order the piece from BKK, so the car would be ready on Friday. Since I'm trading in the SET every weekday, we will go and pick the car up on Saturday morning. I must say in closing, that this car has never cost us much on repairs, since I did all the services with Honda only and always on time. They will also do the 240'000 km service this week.

post-5472-0-05606500-1425985925_thumb.jp post-5472-0-97563500-1425985960_thumb.jp