Very strange happening with my 2003 Honda City

Dario

The Honda City 2003 I have I bought brand new when - at that time - the all new Honda City came out. After 12 years - always serviced on time only by Honda, this car is starting to give me headache. Two days ago, as we were driving only about 12 km to the nearest city from our moobaan the air conditioner gave up. Luckily we found an aircon shop right away. the mechanic checked and said a piece had to be replaced, costing us 2'500 Baht. After 1 1/2 hours we were again enjoying cool air. I didn't use the car for 2 days, but this evening our 5 1/2 year old daughter complained about chest pain, so we went to the hospital. On the way back a strange happening occured, real scary. It was about 22:15 and we started driving home the 12 km. Suddenly, I saw my speedometer going crazy, it went down to zero, up again, down to zero, stopped completely as did the other gauges. Warning lights came on, ABS,the blue aircon light when you start the car and others as well. I noticed that the car lights started dimming and even stranger, as I tried to turn off the main street into a secondary road for the last 5 km to our home, the power steering failed. I still managed the last kilometers to our home with almost no more lights at all, but wasn't able to ride backwards up our short driveway, so I parked it across from my home at my parents-in-laws home. When I tried to re-start the car: nothing.

We are a member of Honda Road Assistance since several years, so tomorrow morning we will call them and see if the mechanic can find out what the reason is.

I can tell you, that this happened the first time in my life and I just turned 69. This is real scary, that's all I can say! I have driven many cars, but never something like this ever happened to me. I googled a bit around. From what I read, it could be several things: alternator stands probably as main reason, but there could be other things like fuel pump (?), battery cable contacts are mentioned as well.

Does anyone have an idea of why this happened? I will update you when I know more about it.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

It gets even spookier now.

Just now, about 2 1/2 hours after we returned home in a "lame" car, I couldn't sleep and went to my car, put the key into the ignition and as by wonderhand, everything is lighting up, car radio with clock, bright lights speedometer and other indicators, brightly alighted, head lights as normal. I didn't start the engine, as I didn't want to wake up our family-in-law at 01:00 in the morning. I wouldn't be surprised if my car starts tomorrow like normal. I'm simply baffled.

I have no idea of cars, I only know how to drive and wash them, but it seems to me that the battery isn't the cause of the problem, not the alternator either as the battery still has power. Some electrical problem yes, but which exactly?

What happened to me could happen to anybody with a car lightly aged like mine, so I will update here, as things happen ...

Edited by Dario

From what you described it could be a number of things, but as losworld mentioned its an electrical problem of some sort. It is probably a loose ground wire or short somewhere. I know the battery cable terminals on most honda's are very weak. I would take the battery cables off and clean them and make sure they are tightened properly. Unless the power steering pump is electric, it should not be related to the other problems you have mentioned.

• Like 1

Airconditioning, alternator and/or battery... all 'standard' failures for an older car. You are really lucky to get 12 years out of it before having this trouble. I would guess your actual mileage on the odometer is really low?

Maybe time to pop down to your local Honda dealer and upgrade. Based on your history, it should last you another 12 years and then it probably won't matter any more.

Edited by NanLaew

Sounds like it has gone into limp mode. Did you get the feeling the car's power and speed were limited?

What 'part' of the aircon was replaced and what else did they move or remove to do the job?

Edited by Songhua
  • Like 1

False joy last night ...

I was able to start the car this morning, all instrument lights burning, some warning lights, battery and another one, dunno which one. Yes, important: power steering is out, doesn't work. I was able to park it backwards up my short driveway, then shut the engine. When I wanted to restart 20 minutes later, battery was exhausted, not plain dead, instrument lights go on, but not able to start: mileage now is 237'077 kms. Last Honda service at 230'174 km on 13 Sep 2014, next service due at 240'174 km.

Edited by Dario

To Songhua:

Good question, because after the mech had worked on my car, not 30 km farther my car developed these strange "sickness"! I can't really tell you which part the guy changed, but I saw it was somewhere on the box marked Honda (didn't see the logo), so I think it was not an originl spare part with some identification numbers from the manufacturer. The piece was round like a wheel about 8-9 cm in diameter and about 2 cm thick and seemed heavy. The guy worked from under the car. He opened the "encasement", but I didn't notice that he moved or removed any other things apart of screws. The part was 2'500 Baht, was marked on the box, he worked for about 1 1/2 hours and that was all we paid. No, I didn't really notice that the cars power and speed had slowed down, because I drove not fast, probably about 60 to max 80 km/h.

Attached pictures of the "corpus delicti" just taken 5 minutes ago. See, it doesn't look like an old piece of s***.

post-5472-0-39622300-1425602334_thumb.jp post-5472-0-83795000-1425602366_thumb.jp post-5472-0-39698000-1425602416_thumb.jp

Edited by Dario

False joy last night ...

I was able to start the car this morning, all instrument lights burning, some warning lights, battery and another one, dunno which one. Yes, important: power steering is out, doesn't work. I was able to park it backwards up my short driveway, then shut the engine. When I wanted to restart 20 minutes later, battery was exhausted, not plain dead, instrument lights go on, but not able to start: mileage now is 237'077 kms. Last Honda service at 230'174 km on 13 Sep 2014, next service due at 240'174 km.

You take it to Honda for regular service? If so, take it to the dealership. I am sure they will do a better job of diagnosing this than we will from your information that seems to be changing by the minute. What is you reason you want the opinions of TV members?

Didn't know they had electric power steering! Leaned something there AoP... Anyways, quite possibly just a belt slipping or snapped. Alternator not tuning so battery exhausted due to lack of charge. A decent battery after some rest will recover somewhat which would explain the one re-start.

• Like 1

That Wheel Thing is Alternator related and the belt wears it uneven then slips.Purely an Electric Prob.Fear not Honda are aware of your prob,had it happen on our fleet cars now n then, i loved to drive them.Nice Car.thumbsup.gif

Hi Ace, pls check your inbox, I have sent you a PM. Thanks for your kind help! Thanks also to all other contributors.

Edited by Dario

I agree with 'ronthai'. The Aircon mechanic must have "touched" some wires, he shouldn't have; so the car-computer went crazy.

I am impressed about your mileage. My wife's 2003 Honda Jazz started to develop problems last year at 140,000 km.

First the Aircon and then repeating problems with the CVT gearbox. The engine also started to sounds old.

We decided to sell it and buy a new car.

Sounds to me like the problems are 'alternator' and.or 'electrical' related and stem from something the A/C 'mechanic' did or didn't do while fixing it. It could be something simple like slipping/damaged alternator belt - they run next to the A/C belts. Or maybe it wasn't replaced properly (or at all) and you were running off the battery til it drained. There is a big plastic 'cover' under the front of the car that can be removed with a flat head screwdriver - it is the second one from the front one - it covers the fan belts and other components - pop out plastic rivets (about 8 of them) - dont break as you need to use them all when putting it back. If you can do that, so so and have a look at the pulleys/belst from underneath - are any loose/gone? Anything stand out as not looking 'right'? Also take a look at and around the battery for lose connections and anything that doesn't look right - something not replaced properly? or not at all?? Open each slot on the battery and check if there is fluid in each of them - if they are empty/drained then you know the battery was driving the car and it is now stuffed and wont hold a charge. And the alternator could have been screwed up - so no charge going to engine and battery. If you cant do that, do you have a mate who is a bit mechanical - for a beer he can look ?? May save you a lot of money if it is a simple fix. Or it could be something has 'blown' as a result of whatever the A/C 'repairer' did - as you can see I am leaning towards the fault being directly related the the A/C guy (experience). If nothing simple - call Honda and get them to come and get the car - don't try to drive as you may make things worse - or worse still, break down in the middle of a main road.

• Like 2

Dario...That car of yours is probably the best buy in Thailand when you need to change.....

Anyone who looks after a car like you, should never worry....The Mechanic you used has done something wrong, and i think "ace of pop" has nailed it.

PM me when you have had enough of that car....I MIGHT be interested, but not at THAI second hand prices.

Edited by weegee

From the description and price of the part replaced my guess is that it was the air con compressor clutch. An electro magnetic device that engages and disengages the compressor.

The compressor clutch will be belt driven and other parts such as the alternator may be driven off the same belt or possibly off another belt that he had to remove to get to the air con compressor belt.

I am not familiar with the City so I cannot be more precise than that.

The air con compressor places a significant load on the engine and if the tension is even a little bit below spec the belt will slip. Once it slips the belt is junk. Too tight is also a problem as it can trash air con clutch bearings, alternator bearings and other belt driven parts.

My starting point would be to look at the condition and tension of all external belts driven off the end of the crank and also check that the battery terminals are secure as the air con man may well have disconnected one or both of them.

Main dealers often have factory tools to measure the tension of the belts. In the alternative experience works but by that I don't mean Somchai the ac guy.