Local leader caught red handed receiving bribes

Thaivisa News

The flaw in your. argument, sadly, is that it never, ever gets beyond the first step. The same was said 25 years ago - it will still be said in the next 25 years. Like the dozen or so stories currently active, it is all just window dressing. A show. You said, "... as long as the Thai people remain vigilant." They are not vigilant ... never have been, never will be. The disincentives are too great and the people too cowed by forces far beyond their control. I can't even see the advent of the AEC making any kind of inroads into the culture of immorality in this country, it's that entrenched. Sorry mate, no revolution today.

I can't believe you know so much, can see the future as well!!!!

Dechawut Senya, 34, chairman of Tambon Namtok Administrative Organisation, denied the charge, arguing he received a gift not meant for a return benefit.

It's this kind of transparent justification that really makes me want to curse out loud.

Let me tell you a short story. In my last job I was a program director for the District of Columbia government. I was soliciting bids for a software platform that could be provided by any large company such as IBM, BMC or SAP. During the vetting process it's common for the vendors to visit for demonstration purposes and negotiation discussions. No problem with that.

But after one such visit, a vendor and I went out to the nearby deli across the street to get lunch. Because the total came to come trivial amount, the deli didn't want to accept a debit card as payment, and I didn't have any cash on me. The vendor offered to pick up the tab, and I figured I'd pay him back later or the next time we went to lunch, I'd treat to set things even.

Well somehow word got back to my agency's general council that a vendor who was being considered for a contract award had given me the "gift" of lunch, and I was told that I'd be written up unless the total amount of the "gift" was less than $25. (I put "gift" in quotes because that was a euphemism for bribe). This $25 limit was set so that vendors could leave branded pens and coffee cups behind after meetings and it wouldn't be considered as an attempt at influencing the contract award process.

Since the total bill was something like $8.50, I was in the clear. But it was a scary situation to be in. Now in hindsight I can see how it might appear to a bystander (who could be a member of the media) that vendor X was awarded the contract not because they have the best software, but because they buy me lunch whenever they're in town.

The moral of the story is that public servants must avoid not only impropriety - they must avoid even the appearance of such. That's why this claim of "he didn't expect any favor in return" is a steaming load of buffalo droppings. Whether a return benefit was meant or not can never be known, so an honest public servant must never allow this kind of thing to happen.

Edited by attrayant

Caught red handed?.............Let me know which hand is red so that I can keep an eye out for him!

I am amazed that the red shirts are not all complaining here.. I mean caught RED handed.. using that term implies reshirts are criminals and their supporters too. This article is full of bias. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

I love it.

More of that, please, dear government.

The turning point against corruption and kickbacks is not far away.

As every post you write cherish the government maybe you can ask them what they will do with all the red wine bottles staying at the immigration pier ? more than 1000 bottles, some of them worth more than 3.000 euro and of course no tax stamp, for army use only...

If you believe the army is not corrupted, you should watch closer

Do you know what would be a good idea?

YOU report it yourself rather than making a negative comment and doing nothing. After all you are the one that knows about it.

• Like 1

I love it.

Never saw things like this happening during the "democratically elected" governments. Chapeau!

how can you say such a thing ..hang your head in shame sir and go to the naughty step this instant..you know youl make it worse for us at immigration thanks mate..w00t.gif

Three Sarcasm Awards contenders ! clap2.gif

anyone else find this story quite funny - can you just see the guys face as they burst in the door

That's not my wallet it's his -

Or - diving out the window as he tries to empty his wallet leaving a trail of 1k notes

Or - it's my birthday

Hilarious but unfortunately the Anti Graft Buster Squad would need to have more manpower than the Police Army Navy and Airforce put together to have any real impact on Graft in Thailand - stiff penalties for those caught and convicted would be a start and the addition of a fast track special court system that only deals with Graft cases

On the spot fines work good as well.

I love it.

It amazes me that some people don't appreciate that corruption, graft nepotism and cronyism exists THROUGHOUT Thai society and it is certainly not going to be "stamped out" by one side against another....it will just tip the valance in the favor of anyone whose connections are in the ascendance.

Must have been a very small road for such little kickback,

now they need to look into his bank accounts and property

holdings,which will most likely never happen.

All the VIP crooks,never admit guilt ,while the poor criminals

tell everything in half an hour,maybe different investigative

methods by plod.

regards worgeordie

The poor criminals receive the electrodes to the genitals treatment which I am

sure speeds up confessions. Am thinking perhaps the VIP criminals

receive a different treatment.. On a side note, I was somewhat stunned at

the measly 5% he wanted. Bet that is really going to piss off the other officials

that receive the standard 30 %...... :-)

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/4693

Officials often use the following torture methods to extract confessions: binding hands tightly with rope, choking, face dunking, kicking, punching, beating in the stomach, beating with a cloth-wrapped wooden bat, head-butting against the wall, and electric shocks.