What's Up With International Mail?

patsfangr

I've lived here for almost 9 years, and I've never had a serious problem receiving mail from the USA. Over the last few years, I've had a friend sending me US made cat food (don't ask!) from Hawaii about once a month. Never a problem. Nearly always arrived within 10 days.

The last such package shipped from Hawaii on Feb 18. It processed through the Bangkok Mail Center's "Sort Facility" on Feb 22, and went on to Customs - where it has been since! What the hell? It's CAT FOOD. I've been receiving it for a few YEARS! What's going on?

Next, I ordered some items from the Boston, MA area. shipped out of New York on Feb 26. Left BKK Mail Center on Feb 28. Again, stuck in Customs.

I have to wonder if the Bangkok mail system is on some sort of "high terrorist alert". I mean, I understand slower mail during the Christmas and New Year holiday period. But why NOW?

Has anybody had a similar experience with international packages recently? Any ideas on what's going on?

Good luck or bad luck.

Thats the whole story.

Everyone who receives food stuff on a repeated basis can call himself lucky,

It generally requires a permit.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/traders+and+business/prohibited+and+restricted+items/general+prohibitions+and+restrictions/generalprohibitionsandrestrictions

Customs can stop about every package.

Don't ask me about regulations on cat food please.

Maybe they suspect its cat meat cheesy.gif

Try sending some Thai food stuff to Hawaii and wait for the result whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

Why not just call customs and find out what the delay is

I did that, Lew. They said they cannot give me any information, and referred me to Thailand Post. I called them. Same story. They just said they'd process an inquiry on the packages.

As I said, I have never, in 9 years, had a problem with a package delivery from the USA until now. It's very frustrating when you have neither results nor information!

Please calm down!

The least I expect is some "terrorist" stuff!

Its a simple customs matter. They think the shipment is not allowed in or duty has to be paid.

Happens everywhere/everyday not only in Thailand.

More than once I had to pickup a parcel at customs mail warehouse (not in Thailand).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Please calm down!

The least I expect is some "terrorist" stuff!

Its a simple customs matter. They think the shipment is not allowed in or duty has to be paid.

Happens everywhere/everytime not only in Thailand.

Sorry, KuhnBenQ, but it DOESN'T happen everytime. As I've said repeatedly, I've been getting cat food shipped to me from Hawaii for the last few years. It nearly always arrives within 10 days; and I never have to pay customs duty on it. As for the other package, I have also had a few packages of similar merchandise shipped from that source; and, likewise, I have never been charged customs fees for it. The total value of each of these packages is less than $80.

International mail is hit and miss. Take the loss, write it off, and re-send the cat food.

I suggest you try ordering from one of the nearby countries eg. Malaysia. A quick search on the Lazada.my site came up with many results. However if your cat(s) prefers the food from Hawaii I do understand.

You'll just need to have it sent again.

International mail is hit and miss. Take the loss, write it off, and re-send the cat food.

I suggest you try ordering from one of the nearby countries eg. Malaysia. A quick search on the Lazada.my site came up with many results. However if your cat(s) prefers the food from Hawaii I do understand.

"However if your cat(s) prefers the food from Hawaii I do understand."

I took two Siamese cats (from the US, not Siam) to the place I lived & worked in southern Africa when I first went out there. They lived with me for an additional 10 and 12 years. I had to cook everything for them, mainly chicken, for the whole time we were there together. I also had to keep digging up sand and store it where it would remain dry during the rainy season for their kitty litter box. The only tinned cat food that was rarely available there smelt pretty much like the litter box and was 99% maize meal. So I can sympathize with the O/P.

As to customs and the P.O., I get things sent to me fairly regularly with no problem, but then once in awhile something will get snagged by customs. I have no problem with that. If I pay a little duty on 1 out of 10 packages, I figure that's only fair.

Once I tracked something on their website that appeared to have entered customs and stayed there. I printed out the tracking info and went to the post office and we searched around a bit (and I do mean "we") and found that it actually had arrived at the post office (in Pattaya). Don't know how welcoming the O/P's post office is, but appearing in person might be better than phoning them.

• Like 1

i've, literally, had a ton of stuff sent to me by post from the US. Never any problems. But US postage costs a fortune, so I have to comment: That is one expensive cat you have. When I die I want to come back as your cat.

Waldo, better to return as my wife.

I had someone in the U.S. mail me an envelope with photos and a card in it on 17 Jan and still no trace of it. I mailed a letter to the U.S. by EMS that was supposed to take 4 days that took 10.

"However if your cat(s) prefers the food from Hawaii I do understand."

I took two Siamese cats (from the US, not Siam) to the place I lived & worked in southern Africa when I first went out there. They lived with me for an additional 10 and 12 years. I had to cook everything for them, mainly chicken, for the whole time we were there together. I also had to keep digging up sand and store it where it would remain dry during the rainy season for their kitty litter box. The only tinned cat food that was rarely available there smelt pretty much like the litter box and was 99% maize meal. So I can sympathize with the O/P.

As to customs and the P.O., I get things sent to me fairly regularly with no problem, but then once in awhile something will get snagged by customs. I have no problem with that. If I pay a little duty on 1 out of 10 packages, I figure that's only fair.

Once I tracked something on their website that appeared to have entered customs and stayed there. I printed out the tracking info and went to the post office and we searched around a bit (and I do mean "we") and found that it actually had arrived at the post office (in Pattaya). Don't know how welcoming the O/P's post office is, but appearing in person might be better than phoning them.

Thanks, Suradit. I'll wait a couple of days to see if I get any results from the phone calls and emails I sent to Thailand post yesterday. If not, I'll drive to the Post Office on Sukhumvit, and try that as a last resort.

i've, literally, had a ton of stuff sent to me by post from the US. Never any problems. But US postage costs a fortune, so I have to comment: That is one expensive cat you have. When I die I want to come back as your cat.

LOL! Yeah, Waldo. I hear ya. It usually costs me about $75 for the food, and the same amount for the postage! That's why a lost package is such a big deal.

for me, i suspect the mail man is stealing packages

even letters, sent from abroad, for birthdays, 50% never arrive

ethics in thai ... i guess, if one receives mail that does not belong to them, even if it is a few houses down, they will just bin it

Why not just call customs and find out what the delay is

I did that, Lew. They said they cannot give me any information, and referred me to Thailand Post. I called them. Same story. They just said they'd process an inquiry on the packages.

As I said, I have never, in 9 years, had a problem with a package delivery from the USA until now. It's very frustrating when you have neither results nor information!

Imagine how the cat feels...

Waldo, better to return as my wife.

Need to move that to the gay forum.

I had a letter sized envelope mailed from USA arrive faster than expected yesterday. But there has been some recent issues otherwise.

Outgoing: #1 I mailed a letter sized envelope to USA to family member. 4 weeks later hadn't been received yet. So I sent again. That one got there in 9 days. The one that disappeared showed up 6 weeks later (2.5 months!). #2 and #3 I sent checks to the IRS in two separate envelopes (IRS cashes these as soon as received) it took 4 weeks and 5 weeks which is way longer than has ever been.

Incoming: #1 and #2 I requested transcripts from IRS 9 weeks ago. They told me were sent then. 3 weeks ago I requested again and am still waiting. Neither has shown up. #3 a friend borrowed a spare phone while here then sent it back to me from Singapore. I had given up and didn't care about it. 3.5 months later it showed up. He is not from Singapore so wasn't that he sent it later than he said. He just kept the phone with him on full Asia trip (Thailand was first stop Singapore last - because his home country phone was locked). Not sure with that one if it was Singapore or Thailand or both that caused the hold up. But 3.5 months to ship a phone?

Previously only had occasional issues. In recent months having serious issues with international mail.