Lufthansa to tease super low fares to Thailand

webfact

Lufthansa to tease super low fares to Thailand
By Coconuts

eurowings.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deutsche Lufthansa AG will launch a long-haul service for its budget carrier with some super low introductory fares in October.

To take on its Persian Gulf competitors, Lufthansa will initially offer flights on its Eurowings from Germany to Bangkok and Phuket with fares starting at EU199.99 (THB7,159). The airline will also offer flights to Cuba, the Dominican Republic and its popular destination Dubai with fares begin at EU99.99 (THB3,580).

"We are not presumptuous to think that we could challenge Emirates with two weekly flights to Dubai given the massive capacity they have. This is not a provocation, I believe Emirates won't even notice this," said Karl Ulrich Garnadt, head of Lufthansa's passenger business.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/03/06/lufthansa-tease-super-low-fares-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-06

I did some search for Jan 2016.

Flights start in December 2015 (?).

Bangkok is served from Cologne (not too many onwards from there) two times weekly (one plane I guess).

The 199 EUR is the oneway price of course, does not include checked baggage, no meal etc. bla bla.

Realistic deal:

return flight from Cologne with checked baggage (23 kg) and meal: 2* 249 EUR = 498 EUR.

From Berlin 620 EUR!

From Hamburg 560 EUR!

I expect that the latter two will easily be beaten by Qatar or Emirates with daily flights.

"Flex option" (rebooking on very short notice) for both ways is about 1000 EUR!!!

There is no other flex option.

Joke.

Good:

same rates apply from Bangkok to Germany and also on oneway!

So you can escape starting from 199 EUR tongue.png

I hope this brings some competition in this flight direction with its often ridicolously high prices, not to speak of oneway.

Real low cost carrier from/to Bangkok: norwegianair.com.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Lufthansa to "tease" super low fares etc. Tease? Do they mean test? trial? I know we are not supposed to correct the use of English, but seeing its Coconuts, presumably a professional media organisation, then some correction is justified.

As far as the cheapness of the fares is concerned then shop around for the best deal - but this may not be as good as it appears. Safe airline operations depend on the professionalism of the flight and cabin crews and the maintenance organisation use by the airline, which in turn has to be enforced by a strong country safety regulator. I am not specifically referring to Lufthansa/Eurowings but I would be very cautious of low cost airlines which are supervised by an equally low cost regulator. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Just keep of Norwegian air. They charge extra for meal, bagage, headphones and you don't even get a blanket. The meal is included in a package and since i never include any packages i deselected it. They didn't even offer me tapwater for 12 hours. For me a 12h flight should include food and on a 2 h flight inside Europe i understand if they let you choose.

• Like 1

the way the Euro is heading they will have to give the flights for free as its the only way I will be able to afford a trip outside the Euro zone.

The Euro as droped 30cents against the $us in a year and still droping, about 25% against the Baht and falling fast.

the way the Euro is heading they will have to give the flights for free as its the only way I will be able to afford a trip outside the Euro zone.

The Euro as droped 30cents against the $us in a year and still droping, about 25% against the Baht and falling fast.

As I use the dollar, I wish the Baht would take a Bath, like the Ringgit has. The dollar ascends everywhere else but I don't get a break when I travel to Thailand.

Lufthansa themselves have low fares.. my Thai friend booked last month to UK return for 2 weeks, via Germany going next week for her and her teenage son on Lufthansa. as it was about the cheapest

So 'Eurowings' will be cheaper ? who would want to fly Thai Air at something like double the price....

Bangkok is served from Cologne (not too many onwards from there) two times weekly (one plane I guess).

The 199 EUR is the oneway price of course, does not include checked baggage, no meal etc. bla bla.

Realistic deal:

return flight from Cologne with checked baggage (23 kg) and meal: 2* 249 EUR = 498 EUR.

From Berlin 620 EUR!

From Hamburg 560 EUR!

I expect that the latter two will easily be beaten by Qatar or Emirates with daily flights.

"Flex option" (rebooking on very short notice) for both ways is about 1000 EUR!!!

Joke.

Good:

I hope this brings some competition in this flight direction with its often ridicolously high prices, not to speak of oneway.

Sounds like the perfect option for backpackers travelling one-way to Thailand with no luggage, who just need to force the contents of a small house into the overhead lockers.....

Just the sort of high quality tourist which Thailand is trying to attract.

Lufthansa are very competitive I just booked Bangkok to Valencia return Business class they beat all others by a mile, 200k cheaper than Emirates, 50k cheaper than Qatar and Thai forget them. I get 150% miles, all airlines give you 25% on their lowest prices on economy.

I am 73 and cannot take it with me so, stuff it enjoy I say.

• Like 1

Realistic deal:

From Berlin 620 EUR!

From Hamburg 560 EUR!

Joke.

Good:

Sounds like the perfect option for backpackers travelling one-way to Thailand with no luggage, who just need to force the contents of a small house into the overhead lockers.....

Just the sort of high quality tourist which Thailand is trying to attract.

Give them a break they are trying to budget their money for gods sake.

• Like 1

Lufthansa to "tease" super low fares etc. Tease? Do they mean test? trial? I know we are not supposed to correct the use of English, but seeing its Coconuts, presumably a professional media organisation, then some correction is justified.

As far as the cheapness of the fares is concerned then shop around for the best deal - but this may not be as good as it appears. Safe airline operations depend on the professionalism of the flight and cabin crews and the maintenance organisation use by the airline, which in turn has to be enforced by a strong country safety regulator. I am not specifically referring to Lufthansa/Eurowings but I would be very cautious of low cost airlines which are supervised by an equally low cost regulator. You pays your money and takes your choice.

"Teaser" rate is a lower rate to get your attention, versus the standard rate. American English usage.

Lufthansa are very competitive I just booked Bangkok to Valencia return Business class they beat all others by a mile, 200k cheaper than Emirates, 50k cheaper than Qatar and Thai forget them. I get 150% miles, all airlines give you 25% on their lowest prices on economy.

it would help to know how much you paid for your business class ticket, how much less you paid versus A, B or C does not help neither.

I paid 81k in December for a Qatar ticket to Brussels when the euro was at 40 against the bath. You mention you paid 50k less than Qatar, thus you paid 31k? I don't think so....

Last week I checked an Etihad promotion for 71k, which still ends up at 2k euro at today's exchange rate.

Like your no nonsense approach....I just booked with Malaysian from Amsterdam to BKK in biz class super cheap....who would choose to fly any other way!