Obtaining A Credit Card From A Thai Bank

Eneukman

One of the disadvantages of living in Paradise is that the UK banks won't send your new credit/debit cards in the post to Thailand. Therefore, a visit home is required unless a friend or family member is coming over.

I have a retirement visa (strictly an extension of a non-Immigrant O visa) valid until August 2007. Does anyone know whether I can get a credit card from Bangkok Bank based on this. A limit of 200,000 baht or maybe 250,000 baht would be sufficient.

Thanks,

Alan

Can't you get it posted to your relatives, then they can post it to you here?

It's hard getting a credit card - I've been with the Bangkok Bank for about 10 years and have a work permit, but they still say no.

Yes, it is true not so easy to get one. I got my Credit through my Wife's account, but it got my name printed on it. Nice, now i can spend the Money and she must pay :o

It's hard getting a credit card - I've been with the Bangkok Bank for about 10 years and have a work permit, but they still say no.

Do you qualify for CC? I mean funds in your account, history, regular income?

Somebody posted minimum 20K baht monthly income is required before any further consideration.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-08-28 00:53:14) *

Do you qualify for CC? I mean funds in your account, history, regular income?

Somebody posted minimum 20K baht monthly income is required before any further consideration.

I believe that 1 million baht a year is required fior many Thai banks, which I don't get anywhere near.

I havev a couple of friend who do get over 1 million and they didn't get either.

Can't you get it posted to your relatives, then they can post it to you here?

Farang, are you?

keda

Funny I didn't have any problem getting a Thai credit card only 6 months after I arrived here with SCB....admittedly a pathetically low limit though (40k). I also just got myseld a CitiBank Gold (Thai issued with a 260k limit) even though my salary doesn't meet the min req. for that level. Kasikorn also said they would give me a card if I transferred my accounts to them......but I declined that pleasure :o

I have a work permit btw.

Strangely though as Neeranam said, Bangkok Bank would only give me a credit card with a 100k limit if I deposited 100k in a "special" savings account with them. I did point out that if I had a 100k to start with then I wouldn't be applying for a credit card :D don't think very highly of BBK, all my friends (thai and foreign) always seem to have some issue with them (overcharging, loosing money transfers etc etc).

I've had 2 CC over the past 15 years. First was Am Express. No problem, I eventually moved and cancelled it. Now I have one with Kasikorn Bank--again no problem--just doing all the paper work was a pain in the behind. The limit is low (50K), but it's OK. I don't like to use the CC, but when I travel it's really difficult to book things without one.

Two points here.

Firstly, why not get your relations to re-send the card on to you.

Or, get your bank to courier it at your cost.

It's possible to get a local credit card even if you have no WP i.e. retired.

The secret seems to be a very healthy balance and a large turnover.

You may then get a CC by opening a time deposit as security.

Naka.

Two points here.

Firstly, why not get your relations to re-send the card on to you.

Or, get your bank to courier it at your cost.

It's possible to get a local credit card even if you have no WP i.e. retired.

The secret seems to be a very healthy balance and a large turnover.

You may then get a CC by opening a time deposit as security.

Naka.

naka - mailing the card is not really a viable option due to the chance of it being intercepted en route. Nationwide won't even courier the card for the same reason.

I'll see what Bangkok Bank say - I'm quite happy to put some funds into a time deposit account, so long a it pays a reasonable rate of interest. My total income is well in excess of 1,000,000 baht per annum and my current balance with them is also well in excess of 1,000,000 baht.

Alan

I have had trouble too, but now BKK bank has let me deposit 100k in a term deposit account and they will give me a gold card. Not sure what the limit is yet but it doesn't matter. I have been caught several times without any means to pay for things, Visa electron is only so good.

Good luck.

Bangkok Bank gave me a Visa Classic CC, but not before I had to "lock" 100,000THB in my savings account for a 50,000THB credit line. I have retirement O Visa. btw my new replacement Visa Electron card DOES have a 3-digit security code on the back, something the previous Be1st card lacked (which is why I applied for the CC in the first place.) I haven't yet tried to use the Be1st for online purchase/booking.

SCB is the easiest as long as you have work permit or retirement visa. 60,000 Baht limit. American Express credit card 250,000 and American Express Gold no fixed limit. Issued by American Express Thailand. Also Central Mastercard Gold issued 150,000 within 3 days!

Copies of income, bank books, work permit is all that is needed.

I guess different banks have different policies. One of my banks in the US refused to send me a CC by mail, but would send it via courier at their cost. The other bank refused to send it to Thailand in any manner.

I had thought that chip based CC's are supposed to lessen fraudulent CC transactions as no signatures are required, which is why I got one from Bangkok Bank recently (secured by cash). I used it on my trip to the UK last month, and was surprised to find out that everyone still required my signature with this card, similar to magnetic strip based cards. Has anybody else had any similar experiences using a Thai bank issued chip based CC outside of Thailand?

I vaguely remember reading on one of the forums on here, that the best one was TMB as they are the only ones with the chip and pin. I do doubt my memory though..................

Now, what's my name? :o

Sorry Leisurely, I saw your message after posting mine above. TMB was the first to issue the chip based CC in Thailand, and Bangkok Bank has followed suit. Perhaps others as well, however, as per my message above I don't see any value to these cards issued by Thai banks at present, either inside Thailand or abroad.