Sending/Bringing prescription drugs to Thailand

phinick

i have found that having things shipped to a friends address and then having them repack them into a regular box makes a big difference and things normally arrive without all the hoopla with customs etc.

This method includes vitamins from the USA.

While you may be getting the medication free, you would have to p[ay for the mailing and it is quite possible that for the same amount as the postage you can buy locally made equivalents. Plus there is the risk of customs confiscation because indeed it is not legal to have foreign medication mailed to you.

These types of medication do not require prescription in Thailand. Suggest you list the names of what you are on.

Sorry Sheryl, but this it not true.

Any medication mailed to you from outside the country is legal as long it is from a legal Doctor/Pharmacy and the Customs tag is filled out correctly. It should clearly say "medications" and it's value. Quantity is the number of prescriptions in the package not the number of pills. Legal medications are tax free per the Customs website. Each prescription must be labeled correctly if they are inspected. Your name on the prescription must match the addressee (You). The only issue is the 30 day vs 90 day supply. Usually over looked. After getting my via mail from the US after 9 years I have never had any issues with customs and I have had them inspected on occasion. If anything they are looking for are medications that are on their banned list such as opiates. narcotics, and other strong pain killers. If you start getting medications every week then flags will go up. But normal routine meds are not a problem.

By the way per several doctors I have spoken to here, Thai medications are not as good as US made and several European brands.

Drugs are a restricted item and require prior approval.

2. Restricted Goods are goods of which the imports and exports are restricted by law and therefore require a permit from the related government agencies. Any person imports or exports restricted goods is considered as committing offences and subject to penalties indicated in the relevant national legislation. In addition, such activity is also subjected to the offence under Articles 27 and 27 bis of the Customs Act B.E. 2469.

The Ministry of Commerce designates classes of goods that are subject to import controls, which usually take the form of permission and licensing. Although these controls are being liberalized, at present more than 50 classes of goods require import licenses from the Ministry of Commerce. These categories are frequently changed through notifications of the Ministry of Commerce. A license to import any of the restricted items must be obtained from the Ministry of Commerce prior to importation. Application for the license must be accompanied by a supplier’s order, confirmation, invoice, and other pertinent documents.

In addition to the Act imposing the above controls, a number of goods are also subject to import controls under or other relevant agencies. These include:

• The import of drugs, foods, and supplementary products requires prior licensing from the Food and Drug Administration, the Ministry of Health.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/traders+and+business/prohibited+and+restricted+items/general+prohibitions+and+restrictions/generalprohibitionsandrestrictions

You are quoting the law for people who are selling drugs/medicine for profit not for personal consumption.

All the laws at the Thai FDA site are for people who are in the business of importing and exporting to make money and to supply their product to the general public.

Seeing no one else has taken the time, I just wrote to the FDA to get their answer. We'll see what they say.

Edited by Mrjlh

While you may be getting the medication free, you would have to p[ay for the mailing and it is quite possible that for the same amount as the postage you can buy locally made equivalents. Plus there is the risk of customs confiscation because indeed it is not legal to have foreign medication mailed to you.

These types of medication do not require prescription in Thailand. Suggest you list the names of what you are on.

Sorry Sheryl, but this it not true.

Any medication mailed to you from outside the country is legal as long it is from a legal Doctor/Pharmacy and the Customs tag is filled out correctly. It should clearly say "medications" and it's value. Quantity is the number of prescriptions in the package not the number of pills. Legal medications are tax free per the Customs website. Each prescription must be labeled correctly if they are inspected. Your name on the prescription must match the addressee (You). The only issue is the 30 day vs 90 day supply. Usually over looked. After getting my via mail from the US after 9 years I have never had any issues with customs and I have had them inspected on occasion. If anything they are looking for are medications that are on their banned list such as opiates. narcotics, and other strong pain killers. If you start getting medications every week then flags will go up. But normal routine meds are not a problem.

By the way per several doctors I have spoken to here, Thai medications are not as good as US made and several European brands.

Maybe they were referring to the fact that America and Europe have more medication options? America usually has newer medications that are not available here. There is no reason a generic medicine in America or a generic here (same drug, different brand) should be different.

For the first 18 months I lived in Thailand, I got my meds via my UK doctor. I would phone the surgery for a repeat prescription which my brother would collect and take to a pharmacy and thern ship the meds to me here in Thailand. The package had "medication" written in large red letters on the outside. I never had any customs issues. I only stopped doing this when the doctor took me off his books because I had failed to report in for a check up for 18 months. It was then that I discovered that all the meds (or generic equivalents) could be obtained at a fraction of the cost. I now get my meds from a pharmacy in Korat. My wife rings them up and orders the meds, I pay by bank transfer and then 1-2 days later they arrive by Thailand post...No prescriptions needed

Edited by mxyzptlk

• 2 years later...

An update. I've been having my prescriptions sent to me from USA for 6 years. My packages got stopped by Customs twice. The first time (3-4 years agao) was very little hassle and a 7% VAT was collected. BUT..just this week, my package got stopped again. I got a lecture about it is illegal to ship them into Thailand with an FDA permit (seems unlikely that just an ordinary individual could get this). BUT....they would show mercy this time....BUT they had to collect a 30% excise tax and 7% VAT on top of that. I have a lot of prescriptions, maybe 15. I paid about $150 in taxes. Not cheap, but still probably better than buying them here. And there is the quality issue to consider too. 

I'll probably get having my meds sent, and hope they don't get stopped again.

The part about needing an FDA license to legally impory pharmaceuticals is true. And indeed a private individual canmot get one.

15 drugs at one time is a lot and likely to get flagged. Was it by regular post?. Small amount and regular post seems to fare best.

Have you checked whether thete are locally made brands of your meds? Because if so will likelt cost you less than the postage mailing from US.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app