Painting over wallpaper?

wpcoe

I think you will find that the herringbone ' paper ' is actually a sort of fiberglass , it's not paper or lining paper- it's tough stuff and covers a multitude of sins- will last for years.

In Jomtien this finish was pioneered by Bruno- in all his miriad developments- always the same tiles, pools, bathrooms, cornices , wardrobes etc etc

I had it done in my condo , because I liked a bit of texture to the walls.

Has gone out of fashion these days, where a matt neutral colour is the way to go - ( remember all those sponged , rag rolled finishes.)

The builders used a TOA exterior totally Matt paint - and looks good.

It would be banned in the UK - where anything that does not smell of lavender and omits nothing but water is totally banned.

As a kid- remember all those oil based paints - linseed etc- they where tough.

But of course we all died of cancer etc.

Gloss, semi-gloss and satin paints are still oil-based. Oil wasn't the problem; lead was.

To remove wallpaper, any type of wallpaper. Get a good iron, (The type used ironing clothes) Put water in the filler tank, turn on the iron and let it heat up, showing steam coming out of the vents. Run the steamer on the wall, back and forth.

When the wall feels hot to the touch pick a corner, and peal back. The steam will heat up the glue, and make it soluble. I've been doing this for quite a while back in the States. Paint? No problem just takes a little longer to heat up. Tools needed will be a nice wide spacial to get underneath the paper. once the paper is off, go over it with a fine sand paper to prep it for painting.

I think you will find that the herringbone ' paper ' is actually a sort of fiberglass , it's not paper or lining paper- it's tough stuff and covers a multitude of sins- will last for years.

In Jomtien this finish was pioneered by Bruno- in all his miriad developments- always the same tiles, pools, bathrooms, cornices , wardrobes etc etc

Has gone out of fashion these days, where a matt neutral colour is the way to go - ( remember all those sponged , rag rolled finishes.)

The builders used a TOA exterior totally Matt paint - and looks good.

It would be banned in the UK - where anything that does not smell of lavender and omits nothing but water is totally banned.

As a kid- remember all those oil based paints - linseed etc- they where tough.

But of course we all died of cancer etc.

Gloss, semi-gloss and satin paints are still oil-based. Oil wasn't the problem; lead was.

No - all oil based paints in the UK are banned by EU regulations- those wonderful stinky oil based paints - it's all water based or very low emission .

Of course this is in the UK - where we lick the <deleted> of the EU commissioners - probably in Spain, France etc- you can still buy those paints.

Am not sure when lead based paints were banned- lead is not good stuff. They are some totally serious academics that propose that lead petrol has destroyed a generation of children- it's a proven neuro toxin and is proven to lower IQ

I should not have gnawed the paint on my play pen!

But, but... I was told by the realtor that it was acrylic and was expensive, as if I should be ashamed I wouldn't want it. rolleyes.gif

That's the kind of surprise I don't want: That it isn't an easily strippable "standard" wallpaper. It does feel like it might be some spun fiber, and fiberglass would be consistent.

I imagine, being Thailand, removing the paper would leave the wall in a mess. You will create more adhesion by roughening the wallpaper surface with sandpaper, and a coat of primer similar to pre-papering primer might help. But you can always try a test piece and see the result of that before working on the whole wall.

I suspect this textured, herringbone pattern stuff would shred and be a mess of fuzzy fibers if you ran sandpaper across it. This is not your grandmother's standard flat wallpaper.

Tell the agent you will buy ONLY if the owner removes the wallpaper first !

If you were an owner with wallpaper and a buyer insisted you remove it, would you? What if, after you removed it, the final condition of the walls was unacceptable to the buyer and they walked away?

Or, would you, as a buyer, make that stipulation and then accept the condo with the walls in whatever condition they turned out?

I also need to balance how much they'd feel it necessary to raise the floor of the negotiations price vs just getting them to rock bottom price and probably paying someone to remove the paper for me.

• 2 weeks later...

To remove wallpaper, any type of wallpaper. Get a good iron, (The type used ironing clothes) Put water in the filler tank, turn on the iron and let it heat up, showing steam coming out of the vents. Run the steamer on the wall, back and forth.

When the wall feels hot to the touch pick a corner, and peal back. The steam will heat up the glue, and make it soluble. I've been doing this for quite a while back in the States. Paint? No problem just takes a little longer to heat up. Tools needed will be a nice wide spacial to get underneath the paper. once the paper is off, go over it with a fine sand paper to prep it for painting.

This is ok if you know what type of wall covering you have if its lose or damaged you may bring a lot of problems with this idea.

• 2 weeks later...