Bangkok: Grenade thrower says attacks 'designed to prompt UN intervention'

webfact

'Grenade thrower said attacks designed to prompt UN intervention'
The Nation

30255603-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- AN ONGOING investigation has revealed that the latest bomb attack on the Criminal Court is part of a plot to stage violent acts in Thailand - in a bid to get the United Nations to intervene.

"[The perpetrators] hope the UN will send in officials to control the situation here," bomber Yuttana Yenpinyo allegedly told police and soldiers after his arrest.

Speaking from a hospital, Yuttana has confessed that he was paid Bt20,000 to throw an RGD5 bomb into the Criminal Court on Ratchadaphisek Road in Bangkok on Saturday night.

He and accomplice Mahahin Khunthong allegedly threw a hand grenade at the court, but were arrested shortly after. Both are 34 years old.

In response to intelligence reports that some extremist and anti-government groups were preparing to carry out attacks at several locations including the Criminal Court, plainclothes soldiers were deployed around the Criminal Court.

When the bomb went off, the soldiers were well positioned to make the arrests.

Mahahin, who was riding pillion at the time, allegedly opened fire in a bid to escape. Soldiers shot back, hitting the driver four times.

Mahahin scaled a wall leading into a nearby housing estate but was quickly apprehended. He had a gun and a tablet on him. Police and soldiers searched the motorcycle the suspects used and found a buy-and-sell agreement for the vehicle identifying Yuttana as the owner.

But according to its registration paper, it belongs to a man living in Bangkok's Nong Chok district.

Police will summon the man to determine if he is involved in the bomb plot.

The examination of Mahahin's tablet revealed the Line chats between him and a person going by the name of "Deer" and using a woman's photo as the profile picture.

"The communications between the two have mentioned the plot of carry out attacks," a source said.

His communication with another person via the Line social network provided authorities with crucial evidence in their bid to track down masterminds behind the attacks and other people linked to them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Grenade-thrower-said-attacks-designed-to-prompt-UN-30255603.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-09

It's a tough job getting the UN involved when there are hundreds of people getting slaughtered somewhere. Do these idiots think lobbing a grenade into an empty courthouse will even register on the UN 'we have to pretend uwe care-o-meter'???

The UN would just chuckle and think, grow the hell up, kids.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Interesting that "line chats" are mentioned as part of the "plot".

Any bets on when monitoring Line and Facebook becomes "necessary for returning happiness" ?

Wow TV's resident paranoia knows no bounds..... or of course maybe it was mentioned cos that's how they were communicating rolleyes.gif

Scoff and laugh at the post but the government has already threatened both line and facebook users. Lets not forget the junta boys summoned facebook to an education event (of which FB gave them the finger) and has threatened line and went so far to make their own line stickers for Thai happiness. Its not a stretch at all for junta boys to shut either down.

• Like 1

"Please press 9 for English. Sorry, but the UN is busy right now. Please call back for an appointment at a more appropriate time and we will assign someone to look into your particulars. If you are eligible for UN assistance, a case officer will compile your details and submit it to a committee for assessment and evaluation as to the type of help suitable to your requirements. Please be advised that this could take up to 90 days. If you believe your situation is more urgent, such as dissatisfaction with a military coup, please press the hash key. Thank you, and have a really nice day."

WitawatWatawit. You forgot the opening message " This call maybe monitored for training purposes" .Lol

• Like 2

quote "The examination of Mahahin's tablet revealed the Line chats between him and a person going by the name of "Deer" and using a woman's photo as the profile picture."

The name Deer rings a bell. Wasn't there some lass called Deer that's high ranking rogue military father lost his head after doing the "throwing a hand grenade dance"

• Like 1

Any bets on when monitoring Line and Facebook becomes "necessary for returning happiness" ?

all internet activity originating inside Thailand has been monitored by the government for years.

• Like 2

If the so called mastermind behind this attack thinks it will get the UN involved, they are delusional, or seriously do not understand the role of the UN, or both.

Why would the UN even want to get involved because 2 idiots threw a couple of grenades into an empty parking lot in the wee hours?

The mess Thailand is in, is the making of the Thai people, so the Thai people need to sort it out themselves. They can ask for foreign assistance (Police and Political reform come to mind), but they have to ask first. Seeing how xenophobic Thailand is, they will never ask.

• Like 1

Took 22 posts for 'but Suthep' to surface. Slow day today.

What this incident does prove is the army and police intelligence is far superior to that of the red shirts, that includes their supporters as we see from there posts on here.

• Like 2

I dont believe the governments spin....how many Thai people really know what the acronym UN means? And the guys caught are just the pansy boys paid to do the deed for someone else. Anyways but for the juntas illegal takeover, this incident would not have happened. WHERE''S SUTHEP.?

If not for Thaksins amnesty the people would not have risen to depose of the corrupt 1 goal (get Thaksin back) government. Get your facts straight.

hmmmm non Thai readers may be taking this a little too literally. The comments are probably aimed at influencing Thais and the Thai rumor machine. Seems to me thats how it works, get a Thai newspaper to mention something and then the Thai insane rumor mill takes over thereby creating its own news and mad theories. Any of the sides could be reponsible.

I dont think anybody else is the target of such rumor mongoring outside of Thai nationals.

I dont believe the governments spin....how many Thai people really know what the acronym UN means? And the guys caught are just the pansy boys paid to do the deed for someone else. Anyways but for the juntas illegal takeover, this incident would not have happened. WHERE''S SUTHEP.?

If not for Thaksins amnesty the people would not have risen to depose of the corrupt 1 goal (get Thaksin back) government. Get your facts straight.

Wrong in so many ways to include the word "Thaksin". My facts are straight hahahahah you apologists are soooooo wrong.

He said that he was going to get paid afterwards - I wonder if he will be paid or if he will end up like the rest of the cannon fodder and be left to rot in jail while the leaders continue on with their lives.

I wonder if he will be paid or if he will end up like the rest of the cannon fodder and be left to rot in jail while the leaders continue on with their lives.

I'll give you two guesses and the second one doesn't count.

If the so called mastermind behind this attack thinks it will get the UN involved, they are delusional, or seriously do not understand the role of the UN, or both.

Why would the UN even want to get involved because 2 idiots threw a couple of grenades into an empty parking lot in the wee hours?

The mess Thailand is in, is the making of the Thai people, so the Thai people need to sort it out themselves. They can ask for foreign assistance (Police and Political reform come to mind), but they have to ask first. Seeing how xenophobic Thailand is, they will never ask.

I'm not so sure the 'mastermind(s)' thought this would get the UN involved but used it as a ruse to get the fanatical Red Shirt participants to take the risk to throw a grenade; you know, 'for a higher cause'. Also, by claiming they wanted intervention by the UN as their motivation, they may be setting the stage to use 'political' as their defense. Do not underestimate these enemies of Thailand.

Well we all know what Thaksin thinks of the U.N. "The UN is not my father." Guess that Rules out Thaksin getting into bed with the UN.

The UN has been critical of the Junta and Prayuth and urged them to drop martial law and return peoples freedom. I would not be surprised if this is a government stunt to try and get the UN side with them and support the coup and martial law. They tried to feed the UN and the world thier propaganda rubbish but they world is smarter than your average thai and wouldn't eat. It is now plan B to try and baffle the world with thier garbage, let's set off a couple harmless firecrackers and send out the propaganda to the world that they are planning a hundred more.

oh well that's it then, positive proof that a man who is known to use anyone or anything to forward his own agenda is innocent in all this, because of the a remark made many years ago.

and where is your proof or even a sniff of evidence the the junta is involved in all this ?

I said I wouldn't be surprised, I never said they were. It was just a thought and why should I provide facts for a thought. Where are your facts that thaksin is using the UN.

Did you miss the bit where his cousin and personal illegal passport issuer and courier, the former totally unqualified foreign minister made appeals to the UN at the time of the coup?

• Like 2

They weren't monitoring it. They simply checked the contents of his tablet when they found it to see if this would provide a clue as to who he was communicating with.

Less of the ridiculous conspiracies please and a little bit more concentration when you are reading articles might help!!!

• Like 2