Bike driver dies following fall onto road under Pattaya Highway Bridge

webfact

Even though it's a ridiculous sharp bend, there's plenty of warning to reduce your speed.

Yes, flashing lights, road markings, and markings on the wall at the bend make it quite obvious...... and anyone local likely knows how dangerous it is and takes the bend slowly.. I certainly do. The only other idea might will be a higher fence on the barrier to stop those crashing into it going over the top and falling down onto Sukhumvit.

Even though it's a ridiculous sharp bend, there's plenty of warning to reduce your speed.

Yes, flashing lights, road markings, and markings on the wall at the bend make it quite obvious...... and anyone local likely knows how dangerous it is and takes the bend slowly.. I certainly do. The only other idea might will be a higher fence on the barrier to stop those crashing into it going over the top and falling down onto Sukhumvit.

They could just build a large trampoline on sukhimvhit so the driver, if survives, can bounce back up on the ramp.

Shall I get my coat!

• Like 1

They could just build a large trampoline on sukhimvhit so the driver, if survives, can bounce back up on the ramp.

Shall I get my coat!

Let me help you on with it.

I was under the impression that originally the road was going to be a Toll Road (motorway) so motorbikes were forbidden. After it was finished it was realised that a Toll Road there would not work so the idea was scrapped. The signs were already in place and nobody has ever bothered to take them down. Coming from Pattaya Nua to the 7 also has a sign forbidding mtorbikes and this cant have anything to to do with a bridge or a sharp turn.

"After it was finished it was realized that a toll road there would not work"

Sound like a typical day in Thailand except it should read

"After it was finished and everybody got their kickbacks and the contractor made a huge profit by not following the specifications it was declared not to be a toll road as we didn't design it or build it to be one anyway. We just told the residents it would be so they would be happy with us in building it. Anybody in the know already knew that of course."

• Like 1

First Question before any sympathy for the devil, Helmet or not???

Would wearing one have prevented the accident?

If he was wearing one, does it prove that they don't work? The way you seem to analyze it would suggest you favour not wearing.

If he was wearing one, does it prove that they don't work? The way you seem to analyze it would suggest you favour not wearing.

The thought of not wearing a helmet around Pattaya makes me shudder.

• Like 1

The thought of not wearing a helmet around Pattaya makes me shudder.

No helmet=no brain.

• Like 1

This exact type of crash happens all too frequently. That curve is quite a sharp curve.

Why don't the authorities suspend some kind of safety netting midway over the side of the low wall on that curve and the roadway below. It would surely save lives at a low cost.

"I'm no expert on bridges but I feel the design is lacking. Too easy just to blame the drivers when there could be other reasons contributing to all the accidents."

No driver/rider = no accident. Therefore not entirely the fault of the bridge. Drivers/riders need to learn to drive/ride to the conditions of the road, sharp bends, wet, etc. Not rocket science! coffee1.gif

" and clipped the 1 meter high barrier, which could not prevent the driver from being thrown off the bridge onto the road below."

obviously designed by the same person / logic as the balcony rails in high rise condos in Pattaya......

Perhaps that's why they are building the underpass, so that accidents like this don't happen. Just hope that users of the underpass know how to swim, when it is flooded !!

I am quite sure they will find ways to fall from the road level into the underpass.

The bike has a red license plate, why am I not surprised.

Edited by manarak

"I'm no expert on bridges but I feel the design is lacking. Too easy just to blame the drivers when there could be other reasons contributing to all the accidents."

No driver/rider = no accident. Therefore not entirely the fault of the bridge. Drivers/riders need to learn to drive/ride to the conditions of the road, sharp bends, wet, etc. Not rocket science! coffee1.gif

" and clipped the 1 meter high barrier, which could not prevent the driver from being thrown off the bridge onto the road below."

obviously designed by the same person / logic as the balcony rails in high rise condos in Pattaya......

That is what I mean about lacking in design.

So if we just didn't let people use the bridge everything would be just fine. No accidents. Then why even build the bridge? It is built to be used. It must be fit for purpose. It must be properly designed and built. Any deviations from that and no matter how careful a driver you are accidents will happen.

If they had built the bridge out of toothpicks and there were many accidents would you still blame the drivers.

I'm not saying the bridge is faulty or badly designed but I'm suspicious. Thailand's record on safety matters, design flaws, construction under spec makes me so.

Perhaps that's why they are building the underpass, so that accidents like this don't happen. Just hope that users of the underpass know how to swim, when it is flooded !!

I am quite sure they will find ways to fall from the road level into the underpass.

The bike has a red license plate, why am I not surprised.

So what if the bike had a red plate. That just means it is new. It does not mean the rider is new to riding. Do you honestly think the accident wouldn't have happened if the plate was white.