Getting furniture for a new house in remote areas

Hi all,

We have been getting the family home renovated in the last couple of months and need to get a sofa, table of some sorts and a bed or mattress. The house is in a very small and remote area of Phichit and according to the Mrs there are no big shops near at all (up to an hrs drive away) and she has no idea how to get any of these things, does anyone have any exprience doing this? I was telling her we should just order online or something but she says they wont deliver that far, not sure if she ahs even inquired though tbh. Im not there at the moment so dont know exactly whats going on.

Also Im wondering how to get cheap furniture in these kind of places or what I should expect to pay? Id like to be able to get the following for 10k if possible:

Sofa (small one will do)

Basic table and some chairs (4 would do)

Bed with mattress or just a mattress (double)

The family's home prior to this had zero furniture and they all slept on the floor so this is all new to them and very frustrating for me to try and organise remotely!

With the right amount of money paid, all shops will deliver anywhere.

I think your wife likes sleeping on the floor and gives you all these excuses.

Go and ask and you will not be disappointed.

Or find somebody with a van, pay him and do your job.

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 1

Never, never spend so little for something you spend 1/3 of your life in. Always spend whatever you need to get the correct bed for your comfort at night.

Neighbors with trucks will be happy to go somewhere different if you pay for gas and some extra for their time. In any large city, if this is where you buy, you can find trucks you can hire to delivery ANYWHERE. We will hire a truck in Pattaya to move our furniture 600 kilo to our new home in Issan. Just ask the store where you buy, they may offer delivery or they may know a truck you can hire. After all, they do want to sell furniture. It would be quite stupid of them not to assist you. Global House delivered 60 kilo to our house for 700 baht and 20 kilo of that was out in the boonies.

Thai people with little experience just make these invalid assumptions, but to them this is their truth.

• Like 1

you live in the village as you like it !

you should show respect to culture of your village !!

sleep on floor - is colder than a bed with matress, ( and dont make noise if you activ with your missus !!

eat on the floor as every ono do in the Village !!

no furniture shop there, as no furniture needed !!

Since they have no history of furniture, why buy it when you are away? I bet you'd be happier with the choices if you bought it in person. Other posters already told you how to get it home. I also agree with the oneday's post. I'd get a good mattress first and wait on the other stuff if I only could spend 10,000.

I shopped for my new home at Ikea in Bangkok. I hired a friend and his truck to deliver it some 800 kilometers away. My budget was bigger than yours and I'm quite pleased with the results.

Just paid 4,500 baht for the bedding........not to mention the bed and mattress, table and chairs, or the sofa!

Maybe it's doable for 10,000 baht but you'll get what you pay for and be replacing it in 12 months.

I've recently been furnishing my new home;

Sofa 18,500

Bed and Mattress 26,000

Table and Chairs 13,500

Middle of the road prices, not cheap, but not expensive given the choices. I expect to get at least 5 years wear before replacement.

The heat, humidity and bugs have an effect on the life of furniture in Thailand.

The wood beetles just love the cheaper softwood furnishings.