Registering your SIM?

rockyysdt

I understand that it's now a legal requirement in Thailand, for users to register Mobile SIM Accounts.

I also understand there is a grace period after which action may be taken to suspend accounts which haven't been registered.

How does one go about registering their SIM Account?

Upon arrival in the country I usually purchase a DTac or AIS 12Call SIM along with credit usually from a 711 store.

I can't imaging the busy staff behind the counter at a 711 having the time to attemp to register a customer, especially with a long farang name!

Many thanks in advance for assistance and knowledge.

• Like 1

There's load of info here http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-thailand-update/3112/

but basically, the easiest way is to visit the local store (or any store for that matter) of your network provider and tell them you need to register your SIM card.

If you're picking a new SIM card for the first time, they should ask you for your passport and register your details there and then.

The whole process should only take a few minutes.

Sounds like 7 11 staff will have to make time.

I got a tourist SIM in Singapore at a 7 11 and the clerk had to fill out a form recording my paasport. I think its the same for Thailand now.

• If this turns out to be the case, knowing human nature, what are the chances of the 711 counter staff saving further down time on the phone by binning your form when you exit the store.

Or alternatively,

• If the information is passed on by post, also binning the same form?

After all, will our paths ever cross again, and/or can't the blame for registration failure be passed on to the Telco?

Also, if the information is passed on by post, what is the guarantee these details will be acted on?

This was gleaned from online registration information on the subject:

Even if you have previously provided such information when you bought a SIM card in Thailand, it’s highly likely that you are not registered because the mobile operators seem to have completely ignored or failed to implement the proper registration procedures.

The great fear is that, some time in the future, during a period where communication is critical, through no fault of your own, someone pulls the plug.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

There's load of info here http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-thailand-update/3112/

but basically, the easiest way is to visit the local store (or any store for that matter) of your network provider and tell them you need to register your SIM card.

If you're picking a new SIM card for the first time, they should ask you for your passport and register your details there and then.

The whole process should only take a few minutes.

Purchasing from a 711 store has been very convenient and provides immediate connection upon arrival in the country.

Having to then track down a Telco agent seems a considerable impost on ones valuable time in the country.

I'd also imagine that this agent will not be pleased, having to perform the registration, but having missed out on the sale.

Perhaps another bin job possibility?

I registered my phone at the AIS office in the lower level of Central Festival in Pattaya. It took two minutes. All that was needed was the phone number and my passport details.

If you're getting a new SIM, the registration will probably be done when you purchase it . (??)

Edited by Suradit69

You can check to see if your SIMM card is already registered as many are. For AIS dial *141#

but message in Thai. True hasa similar number - call customer service and save a trip!

Sounds like 7 11 staff will have to make time.

I got a tourist SIM in Singapore at a 7 11 and the clerk had to fill out a form recording my paasport. I think its the same for Thailand now.

This was gleaned from online registration information on the subject:

Even if you have previously provided such information when you bought a SIM card in Thailand, it’s highly likely that you are not registered because the mobile operators seem to have completely ignored or failed to implement the proper registration procedures.

Yes that does in part seem to be the case. My post paid SIM was registered 16 years ago and is still valid and with correct passport number. My pre paid SIM was I thought registered with the same details as I had joined in in the same online account as the post paid one. It turns out that it wasn't and I had to visit DTAC office and register it properly. A simple job.

Friends who have pre paid SIMS only and have online accounts with passport numbers recorded and have had their SIMs replaced with same number by showing their passport as ID that the number was theirs also have found out that their SIMS were not properly registered and have had to go through the simple task of doing so.

Anyway as far as a DTAC SIM is concerned you can check its registration status with *102*9# you'll get back a simple message saying when the SIM was activated and its registration details.

As of December there were over 90 Million unregistered SIM cards in use.

Does anybody here beleive that they will register more than a few million of those before the end of July?

And does anybody believe that they will just turn off the remaining 80 or so million SIM cards at the end of July?

Not going to happen. It would throw the whole of Asia into a turmoil and economic downward spiral.

I'm sure the majority of Thais will just take a wait & see attitude and this whole effort will grind to a halt.

Next they will be trying legislate that millions of free Wi-Fi spots register their users, as well, even though there are countless

numbers of open (non-passwrod protected) access points across the country, and there are 100's of thousands of

transient Wi-Fi users daily across the country.

Just not practical in a free & open society. After all Thailand is not yet a communist state under a vicious dictatorship, is it???

As of December there were over 90 Million unregistered SIM cards in use.

Does anybody here beleive that they will register more than a few million of those before the end of July?

And does anybody believe that they will just turn off the remaining 80 or so million SIM cards at the end of July?

Not going to happen. It would throw the whole of Asia into a turmoil and economic downward spiral.

I'm sure the majority of Thais will just take a wait & see attitude and this whole effort will grind to a halt.

Next they will be trying legislate that millions of free Wi-Fi spots register their users, as well, even though there are countless

numbers of open (non-passwrod protected) access points across the country, and there are 100's of thousands of

transient Wi-Fi users daily across the country.

Just not practical in a free & open society. After all Thailand is not yet a communist state under a vicious dictatorship, is it???

I think they are working on it.

• Like 1

I had a text message from DTAC last week, in English, reminding me to register my SIM before July 1st.

Took 2 minutes at one of their stores in Big C yesterday.

They only need your ID number, not your actual passport. I used my Thai driving licence, no problem.

Received an immediate text to confirm the registration.

I registered my phone at the AIS office in the lower level of Central Festival in Pattaya. It took two minutes. All that was needed was the phone number and my passport details.

If you're getting a new SIM, the registration will probably be done when you purchase it . (??)

I was there about 3 weeks ago. A rather straight forward procedure indeed but be prepared to wait if :

• your queue number is > 5 for there is no dedicated registering counter per se. Every counter is proceeding any type of transaction; returns, warranty service will jam the queue anytime.
  • you have an old SIM (5 or 6 years), they have to encode a new one if you want to keep the same phone number. Only this task took them 20 minutes to complete.

I was there for 45 minutes altogether. New SIM card was free. Took about 5 days before new implemented options (4G services if I remember) were activated. SMS confirming the update was in Thai only. No use to show passport if you got Thai Driving License with you.

Registered my SIM yesterday at the Dtac desk at Big C (old Carrefour) in Pattaya.

It took only a few minutes but they require your passport and you will receive

a text confirming registration.

Your Thai driving licence will also do. Know 2 people who did it that way.
  • Like 1

Anyway as far as a DTAC SIM is concerned you can check its registration status with *102*9# you'll get back a simple message saying when the SIM was activated and its registration details.

I checked mine now and got my passport number in the message.

But I will have a new passport next time with a new number.

Is that still ok?

I checked mine now and got my passport number in the message.

But I will have a new passport next time with a new number.

Is that still ok?

Probably best to re-register with new number. Take new and old (if available) passports with you. Don't expect it to be any hassle. DTAC are pretty much on the ball with these things. Advantage of having SIM registered is in case of loss you can get a new one with the same number and the old SIM becomes unuseable. Credit gets transferred.

Registered my SIM yesterday at the Dtac desk at Big C (old Carrefour) in Pattaya.

I was told my licence with passport number on it was not good enough at DTAC centralworld. Went back next day with passport to DTAC siam paragon and they asked for my DL as license was ok there, passport not needed. TIT.

As an afterthought, I assume prepaid aircard sims also have to be registered ? have only seen mention of phone sims though ?

Thank you for posting this MMI code for DTAC. It even works from abroad. I used it in Switzerland and got the pop-up message "[phone number] active for [period] register by card no.[passport number]". No charge for the message.

post-21260-0-31351400-1425970111_thumb.j

They probably had the passport number on the driving licence and it was copied from there.

DTAC in Pattaya - went to the DTAC stall in Central Festival, didn't even look at my passport. Less than 5 mins.

If they didn't look at your passport, better dial *102*9# to double check that your SIM is correctly registered.

Your passport number is on your Thai driving licence, so your driving licence is ok unless you are dealing with a sales assistant who doesn't know that, as TIT I'm sure that there will be quite a lot who don't realise this...