Registering your SIM?

rockyysdt

As of December there were over 90 Million unregistered SIM cards in use.

Does anybody here beleive that they will register more than a few million of those before the end of July?

And does anybody believe that they will just turn off the remaining 80 or so million SIM cards at the end of July?

Not going to happen. It would throw the whole of Asia into a turmoil and economic downward spiral.

I'm sure the majority of Thais will just take a wait & see attitude and this whole effort will grind to a halt.

Next they will be trying legislate that millions of free Wi-Fi spots register their users, as well, even though there are countless

numbers of open (non-passwrod protected) access points across the country, and there are 100's of thousands of

transient Wi-Fi users daily across the country.

Just not practical in a free & open society. After all Thailand is not yet a communist state under a vicious dictatorship, is it???

The report ACTUALLY said that there were 90 million sims in Thailand, but not ALL registered, this includes unregistered sims.

Therefore they will not need to delete 80 million + sims !

However, this is all a pointless excercise anyway, since many tourists are buying pre-paid sims and then ditching them them when they leave, so how will registering sims that are never to be used again going to help in way way whatsoever ?

Edited by anfh

Anyway as far as a DTAC SIM is concerned you can check its registration status with *102*9# you'll get back a simple message saying when the SIM was activated and its registration details.

Thank you for posting this MMI code for DTAC. It even works from abroad. I used it in Switzerland and got the pop-up message "[phone number] active for [period] register by card no.[passport number]". No charge for the message.

attachicon.gifScreenshot SIM registration.jpg

You're welcome. Love some swiss cheese. Just the holes will do.

As of December there were over 90 Million unregistered SIM cards in use.

Does anybody here beleive that they will register more than a few million of those before the end of July?

And does anybody believe that they will just turn off the remaining 80 or so million SIM cards at the end of July?

Not going to happen. It would throw the whole of Asia into a turmoil and economic downward spiral.

I'm sure the majority of Thais will just take a wait & see attitude and this whole effort will grind to a halt.

Next they will be trying legislate that millions of free Wi-Fi spots register their users, as well, even though there are countless

numbers of open (non-passwrod protected) access points across the country, and there are 100's of thousands of

transient Wi-Fi users daily across the country.

Just not practical in a free & open society. After all Thailand is not yet a communist state under a vicious dictatorship, is it???

The only people who would not want to do this is people who have something to hide. And don't give me that freedom crap because that is what is all about the freedom NOT to get blown up etc. Totally practical as many have said only takes a short time to do it. Well have to wait and see what happens on the end date. Nobody can predict he future.

BTW I find your user name an apt description of you.

You can check to see if your SIMM card is already registered as many are. For AIS dial *141#

but message in Thai. True hasa similar number - call customer service and save a trip!

For AIS confirm registration in English dial *151#

You can check to see if your SIMM card is already registered as many are. For AIS dial *141#

but message in Thai. True hasa similar number - call customer service and save a trip!

For AIS confirm registration in English dial *151#

The DTAC Thai vv English system is so much easier if you want it in English just put a 9 before the # of the Thai number.

I'm all for the KISS way of doing things. AIS should learn from it.

Sounds like 7 11 staff will have to make time.

I got a tourist SIM in Singapore at a 7 11 and the clerk had to fill out a form recording my paasport. I think its the same for Thailand now.

• If this turns out to be the case, knowing human nature, what are the chances of the 711 counter staff saving further down time on the phone by binning your form when you exit the store.

Or alternatively,

• If the information is passed on by post, also binning the same form?

After all, will our paths ever cross again, and/or can't the blame for registration failure be passed on to the Telco?

Also, if the information is passed on by post, what is the guarantee these details will be acted on?

This was gleaned from online registration information on the subject:

Even if you have previously provided such information when you bought a SIM card in Thailand, it’s highly likely that you are not registered because the mobile operators seem to have completely ignored or failed to implement the proper registration procedures.

The great fear is that, some time in the future, during a period where communication is critical, through no fault of your own, someone pulls the plug.

Singapore was easy for me, they copied my Passport all done very quickly and cleanly like most things there.

Sounds like 7 11 staff will have to make time.

I got a tourist SIM in Singapore at a 7 11 and the clerk had to fill out a form recording my paasport. I think its the same for Thailand now.

• If this turns out to be the case, knowing human nature, what are the chances of the 711 counter staff saving further down time on the phone by binning your form when you exit the store.
Or alternatively,
  • If the information is passed on by post, also binning the same form?

After all, will our paths ever cross again, and/or can't the blame for registration failure be passed on to the Telco?

Also, if the information is passed on by post, what is the guarantee these details will be acted on?

This was gleaned from online registration information on the subject:

Even if you have previously provided such information when you bought a SIM card in Thailand, it’s highly likely that you are not registered because the mobile operators seem to have completely ignored or failed to implement the proper registration procedures.

The great fear is that, some time in the future, during a period where communication is critical, through no fault of your own, someone pulls the plug.

Singapore was easy for me, they copied my Passport all done very quickly and cleanly like most things there.

Not so much different than here than except here they don't copy your passport just enter the number in the computer. Could it be that Thailand has become more efficient than Singapore. Who would have thought.