Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2014 vs Isuzu MU-X 2015

Barontt

Recommendations? Any first hand knowledge?

My needs are simple. Mostly (Asia Highway AH1) driving, about 1000 km per week. Car crash-worthiness is a prime conisderation, not that I plan to have an accident.

Thank you.

If Crash Safety is the #1 criteria, the 2yo MU-X wins over the 7yo Pajero Sport design.

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/mitsubishi/challenger/cba6c0

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/isuzu/mu-x/d993dd

However, if crash safety really is your primary concern, you probably shouldn't be considering a pickup based SUV - as none on the market in TH have the full gamut of safety aids like their overseas cousins, linked above.

Note the next-gen Fortuner, Pajero Sport, and Everest models all launch later this year, and are all expected the lift the bar on crash safety.

In my opinion you don't buy a vehicle with Crashing in mind. As for the data provided by IMHO, that's good but there is No Mention about which car is better in the road. Having done over 160,000 Kl in my 3.2lt Pajero Sports GT and recently drove a MU-X for about 500 Kl, I can tell you for sure the most surefooted vehicle on the Highway is by far the Pajero. It's Independent rear Suspension is way superior to the Live Axel MU-X. This giver far better cornering especially at high speeds with no tendancy to bounce across the road on small bumps, as was the case with the MU-X. The ride comfort, especially in the back seat is also superior to the MU-X. All round the Pajero is a much nicer car to drive I feel. I have been a Professional Driver for 45 years in everything from Race cars, Interstate Transport and Limosine driver for the like of Australian Prime Ministers, Movie and Rock stars like Elton John Etc. I think I know what I am talking about when it comes to testing Vehicles. All the best with your decision on which to purchase.

In my opinion you don't buy a vehicle with Crashing in mind. As for the data provided by IMHO, that's good but there is No Mention about which car is better in the road. Having done over 160,000 Kl in my 3.2lt Pajero Sports GT and recently drove a MU-X for about 500 Kl, I can tell you for sure the most surefooted vehicle on the Highway is by far the Pajero. It's Independent rear Suspension is way superior to the Live Axel MU-X. This giver far better cornering especially at high speeds with no tendancy to bounce across the road on small bumps, as was the case with the MU-X. The ride comfort, especially in the back seat is also superior to the MU-X. All round the Pajero is a much nicer car to drive I feel. I have been a Professional Driver for 45 years in everything from Race cars, Interstate Transport and Limosine driver for the like of Australian Prime Ministers, Movie and Rock stars like Elton John Etc. I think I know what I am talking about when it comes to testing Vehicles. All the best with your decision on which to purchase.

This is really helpful, as was the post from IMHO.

I mention safety because that is my primary reason for buying another vehicle. I'm really happy with the current one but it is small and my family is worried about what happens if I get into an accident. (I drive by at least 2 accidents on AH1 every weekend.)

My initial thought was to get the Pajero, but then was considering the Isuzu because it was a 2015 model year, whereas the Pajero 2015 won't come out for several months. Based on your expertise, I am now strongly leaning towards the Pajero Sport (2.5GT 2WD). I'll buy one at the Motor Show or shortly thereafter, so if you have any additional thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

I mention safety because that is my primary reason for buying another vehicle. I'm really happy with the current one but it is small and my family is worried about what happens if I get into an accident. (I drive by at least 2 accidents on AH1 every weekend.)

My initial thought was to get the Pajero, but then was considering the Isuzu because it was a 2015 model year, whereas the Pajero 2015 won't come out for several months. Based on your expertise, I am now strongly leaning towards the Pajero Sport (2.5GT 2WD). I'll buy one at the Motor Show or shortly thereafter, so if you have any additional thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

Well if you can afford a little extra and you are concerned about Safety then Get the 4 Wheel Drive Version. Whenever it starts to rain I slip into 4 WD for the added Traction as this is when Thailand roads are at their most dangerous with the amount of Oil and Diesel that leaks from all the Trucks in this country. This is a real Safety Feature that helps prevent accidents.

The PJS sold here has live axle too...

Tried one and wasn't impressed. suspension setup is too soft, too much body roll.

On top of that steering wheel return is non existent. sales guy sold this as a "feature".

More probable that steering has been dampened to avoid front wheels shaking.

IMHO wai2.gif

Thanks!

Well if you can afford a little extra and you are concerned about Safety then Get the 4 Wheel Drive Version. Whenever it starts to rain I slip into 4 WD for the added Traction as this is when Thailand roads are at their most dangerous with the amount of Oil and Diesel that leaks from all the Trucks in this country. This is a real Safety Feature that helps prevent accidents.

Good idea, I never thought of that. Cost is not an issue, other than getting the best value for the price paid. I can also get a bigger discount on the 4wd model as compared to the 2wd. After dealer discounts, the 4wd would end up costing about 100-125k more than the 2wd. Seems worth it.

Thank you.

Total waste of money and not a safety feature, what complete (DELETED). 2 wheel drive is more than adequate for all road use here, just keep good treaded tyres inflated correctly.

Edited by seedy
language

Yes I have owned many, Subaru WRX , Range Rover etc etc and I now also have a 4x4 pickup for on the farm and a 2 wheel drive Pajero for road trips, 4 x 4 are good for off road, but a complete waste of time and money for normal use on tarmac and wear tyres out at an alarming rate, and use much more fuel.

Have rented the Izuzu MU7 here in LOS....Was not impressed with the buckboarding ride around uphill serious turns (Pai)...And much less impressed when I had to drive that road in the rain....Had an "old" feel to the ride like vehicles I'd driven in the 70-80's....along with the top heavy feel of an SUV that felt worse than others I've driven.....

Have rented the Izuzu MU7 here in LOS....Was not impressed with the buckboarding ride around uphill serious turns (Pai)...And much less impressed when I had to drive that road in the rain....Had an "old" feel to the ride like vehicles I'd driven in the 70-80's....along with the top heavy feel of an SUV that felt worse than others I've driven.....

He's talking about the MU-X, which is definitely more nimble than the old leaf-sprung MU-7.

I still agree with others here though - the PJS is nicer to drive the the MU-X/Trailblazer. My biggest concern buying one now would be knowing there's a next-gen model just around the corner.

Thanks!

Good idea, I never thought of that. Cost is not an issue, other than getting the best value for the price paid. I can also get a bigger discount on the 4wd model as compared to the 2wd. After dealer discounts, the 4wd would end up costing about 100-125k more than the 2wd. Seems worth it.

Thank you.

4WD is nice but the electronic stability systems on the 2WD's should minimise the difference unless the surface is very slippery.

If you like the idea of using 4WD on the highway, the Pajero Sport or Fortuner can use constant 4WD or AWD which is much better for this than the MU-X and most of the other PPV's.

Thank you.

Take the 4WD for a decent run and make sure that you are happy with the positioning of the shifter for the transfer case. I drove one for a while and for me the shifter is positioned right against where my leg comes to rest and I didn't really appreciate it's attempts to vibrate it's way through my leg. Maybe you learn to live with it but I didn't persevere long enough to find out. When it came time to put down my money I bought the 2WD GT which has been terrific.

I had a series of 4WD vehicles here previous to this one which was enough for me to decide that I really didn't need 4WD.

Yes I have owned many, Subaru WRX , Range Rover etc etc and I now also have a 4x4 pickup for on the farm and a 2 wheel drive Pajero for road trips, 4 x 4 are good for off road, but a complete waste of time and money for normal use on tarmac and wear tyres out at an alarming rate, and use much more fuel.

Tell me why they make 4WD cars...?

4WD is for people who need to drive on roads like this:

6964226-Our-car-is-stuck-on-the-muddy-ro

But don't have one of these:

th_umphang_1.jpg

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Wrong answer, try again........rolleyes.gif

Hey, I am nooooooo poser, keep those remarks to yourself and answer my question....

Right answer as far as I am concerned.

• 5 months later...

TUESDAY is the day! Fortuner already inspected. Pajero - yet to be seen.

The comparison referred to above - excellent.

All parties prefer manual transmission but things in the auto industry are changing.

Recollection - diesel - Pajero's engine is smaller ie 2.4l v 2.8l. Given its anticipated usage, 2.4l will be quite adequate.

What gets up my nose is that there must be a decree from powers up above - NO DISCOUNT!

Edited by fang37