Beyond Today

Minburi

Anyone else care to speak up. My wife who is Thai and I love very much does not look past a day or 2. I mean we go shopping she does not take into fact we are all most out of something and when I suggest we get some as we are getting low she looks at me like I am crazy and says that there in some still in the fridge or such and we can always come back. Diapers are a good example but one of many things. I like to over pay our Thai bills say instead of paying exactly say 388 baht I pay 400 or 500 baht so next months bill is lower and she will again look at me like I have lost what little marbles I have. Why over pay she asks and I try to explain and she goes into that sad little shake of the head crazy guy look. AM I over planning folks? :o

Yes most times I go along as it is easier..Yes I am very whipped :D

My husband and I were discussing this the other day. He feels that many Thai people are like this, have a very hard time with long-term planning or projecting into the future. The govt is a very good example of this behavior with their unwillingness to do any environmental impact reports for major construction and then shocked when there is problems. The new airport scanner issue sriracha john has reported (ie the scanners they have bought aren't enough to do the job) is another classic example.

Some Thais are capable of longterm planning(and it doesn't seem to be an education issue), many, it seems, are not.

Anyone else care to speak up. My wife who is Thai and I love very much does not look past a day or 2. I mean we go shopping she does not take into fact we are all most out of something and when I suggest we get some as we are getting low she looks at me like I am crazy and says that there in some still in the fridge or such and we can always come back. Diapers are a good example but one of many things. I like to over pay our Thai bills say instead of paying exactly say 388 baht I pay 400 or 500 baht so next months bill is lower and she will again look at me like I have lost what little marbles I have. Why over pay she asks and I try to explain and she goes into that sad little shake of the head crazy guy look. AM I over planning folks? :o

Yes most times I go along as it is easier..Yes I am very whipped :D

Well I agree with your wife on the Thai Bills. Why pay more than you have to and give them the use of your `free` money`...Yes put it into diapers if you wish. You can always go yourself and stock up the fridge if you want to keep it full.

Many Thai people like to go to the shops regularly...not just to buy but to enjoy being out.

As long as you don`t actually run out of essential things I don`t see what difference it makes. :D

My husband and I were discussing this the other day. He feels that many Thai people are like this, have a very hard time with long-term planning or projecting into the future. The govt is a very good example of this behavior with their unwillingness to do any environmental impact reports for major construction and then shocked when there is problems. The new airport scanner issue sriracha john has reported (ie the scanners they have bought aren't enough to do the job) is another classic example.

Some Thais are capable of longterm planning(and it doesn't seem to be an education issue), many, it seems, are not.

I think that with regard to the airport scanners, many people will take a different view, i.e. that this was very well planned indeed to such an extent that at this late stage it has now become a `fait accomplis` and the cost will no doubt include various commissions for services rendered which cannot be isolated as would have been the case over a longer period. :o

Many Thai people like to go to the shops regularly...not just to buy but to enjoy being out.

As long as you don`t actually run out of essential things I don`t see what difference it makes. :D

Ah, yes Foxxy but that is alright if you are Thai and like to go shopping alot. But i'm not Thai and i don't like to go shopping alot but she still drags me out everytime :o:D

Ah, yes Foxxy but that is alright if you are Thai and like to go shopping alot. But i'm not Thai and i don't like to go shopping alot but she still drags me out everytime :o:D

She obviously hasn`t trained you properly yet Mr jangles :D

I think that with regard to the airport scanners, many people will take a different view, i.e. that this was very well planned indeed to such an extent that at this late stage it has now become a `fait accomplis` and the cost will no doubt include various commissions for services rendered which cannot be isolated as would have been the case over a longer period. :D

I am shocked that you would say such things about the Thai government(NoT) :o

I couldn't agree more with the above.

Seems as if the few who do plan for the next 3 years vice the next 3 seconds, have and will continue to do quite well for themselves.

Working on that one buddy. Getting her a driving licence :D

Working on that one buddy. Getting her a driving licence :D

You`d better plan to go choppin choppin every day mate :D

It is true that many Thais live "day by day" or even "live for today" - which may be a good thing for many of those at the bottom of the pile, for if they ever tried to plan for the future, the prospects would be bleak indeed, so maybe it is partly psychological - a defence mechanism that stops them worrying too much about "tomorrow".

The shopping thing is not just inability to plan ahead. In my experience Thai Ladies who enjoy cooking always want to have fresh produce to cook with - fresh meat and vegetables. The ones I have lived with don't have much use for freezers or frozen food, and as they are buying the fresh stuff every 2 days or so, they might as well do the other shopping every 2 days as well.

Can't say as it's ever bothered me as long as I'm not dragged down to the shops too much.

And the food is delicious. :D

Overpaying on bills? :o Very weird :D

My Thai wife must be unusual because she always plans ahead. She takes care of all the household bills and plans her own little purchases when she can fit them in.

I agree, paying more than the bill is a little strange. :o

I once put a holiday chart up in the office and then kicked off the procedure by marking in the two weeks I was planning to take off at Christmas.

I had just taken over the department (it was May).

My Thai staff where incredulous “How” they asked “Do you know you are going to have holiday at Christmas?”

“Because, I always have holiday at Christmas” was my reply.

This completely stalled their thinking.

I was to get to butt of this later.

Staff would regularly not turn up, no excuse, no phone calls no nothing. They’d turn up a week later and hand me a holiday form for the week they had just taken.

When I asked them where they had been, the responded ‘Oh it was my mother’s birthday so I took holiday to visit her – I always take holiday for my mother’s birthday!’.

All departments had the same problem, it was raised as a problem in cross cultural training but no improvements resulted.

Then we changed office managers, the new manager issued an edict that anyone who took holiday without an approved holiday form would not be paid – Approval shall be according to existing procedure and two weeks notice is required.

This was ignored ONCE.

The first guy to bunk off without prior notice after the warning was not paid – He sulked, he threatened legal action, he went to speak to the labor office. He came back to the office, collected his things and left without telling us where he was going.

But – We never had another problem with failure to notify holiday or sickness.

I certainly am NOT gonna try and think my way through this thread past the fact that "My Thai" and "Your Thai" are not the "Same Thai".

I could see people coming from ; hmmmm how to put this, "Less affluent" background choosing to buy for today and not quite thinking about the fact that there IS enough $$ to buy in advance. Adding the social componant into shopping-- you get to see and be seen. and then the cultural/rural tradition of shopping daily for food....

However ... "My Thai" comes from a more affluent yet somewhat frugal family. Shoppping formundane things is a chore! Hence the trips to lotus tesco and buying the big toilet paper and the cases of supplies etc etc.

<just spare me from the trips to Pantip ... i much prefer to do that alone ... in .. buy the movies etc ... out!>

I once put a holiday chart up in the office and then kicked off the procedure by marking in the two weeks I was planning to take off at Christmas.

My Thai staff where incredulous “How” they asked “Do you know you are going to have holiday at Christmas?”

Staff would regularly not turn up, no excuse, no phone calls no nothing. They’d turn up a week later and hand me a holiday form for the week they had just taken.

When I asked them where they had been, the responded ‘Oh it was my mother’s birthday so I took holiday to visit her – I always take holiday for my mother’s birthday!’.

All departments had the same problem, it was raised as a problem in cross cultural training but no improvements resulted.

Then we changed office managers, the new manager issued an edict that anyone who took holiday without an approved holiday form would not be paid – Approval shall be according to existing procedure and two weeks notice is required.

This was ignored ONCE.

The first guy to bunk off without prior notice after the warning was not paid – He sulked, he threatened legal action, he went to speak to the labor office. He came back to the office, collected his things and left without telling us where he was going.

If it hits the pocket it usually works.

Yeah my gf is the sensible one out of us 2, Im always spending the money and she is the one planning ahead, But I say enjoy life as we could be dead tomorrow.

Also alot of poorer people dont really plan ahead due to not really having much to look forward too so they just enjoy themselves instead of worrying about things, which probaly is a unviversal thing

Im with GaryA..

Unlike other Thais my missus is by far the most organised person i know..

I do get the impression most Thais seem to live for the day and worry about tommorow when it arrives but not my missus..

She seems to know exactly what we are doing and where we will be 6 months in advance and when shopping we do a tesco run about every three weeks and have to take family to push 4 trolleys..

If i ask what is for dinner she will know whats going to be on the plate everyday for the next week let alone the next meal time!!

On a side note we have now started putting money aside for education for a child who hasnt even been born yet.. :D

And as for bills, not a penny is paid too much,

Oh and one more thing, she never ever forgets anything. Even items of clothes she bought 5-6 years ago she will know the price of..

As for me i will forget what i have just typed as soon as i hit submit and will have to re-read to remind myself :o

This was ignored ONCE.

:o really? what sort of people do you employ??

Planning ahead is not a Thai trait. Why should they? Everything grows here; fertile soil; tropical temperatures all year round. The old Thai motto "As long as there is fish in the sea and rice in the fields" still holds. They've never had to plan ahead. European history is war; disease; long brutal Winters; famine; crop rotation; etc. We had to plan ahead to survive. Period.

History shapes culture, and apart from a few minor scuffles with neighbouring Burma; Thailand has had it really good. Its also the reason why immigrant poor Chinese of the last century dominate this region through business; politics; trade; science; etc.

One of my Chinese-descent engineers at work said that if it wasn't for them; "Thais would still be pointing at the moon!" :o

really? what sort of people do you employ??

Mostly graduates and most of those from Thailand's top three Universtities

Well i employ Thai people and none are that thick, most of them a here on working visa and dont have a degree (i dont think they do anyway, could be wrong)

Planning ahead is not a Thai trait. Why should they? Everything grows here; fertile soil; tropical temperatures all year round. The old Thai motto "As long as there is fish in the sea and rice in the fields" still holds. They've never had to plan ahead. European history is war; disease; long brutal Winters; famine; crop rotation; etc. We had to plan ahead to survive. Period.

History shapes culture, and apart from a few minor scuffles with neighbouring Burma; Thailand has had it really good. Its also the reason why immigrant poor Chinese of the last century dominate this region through business; politics; trade; science; etc.

One of my Chinese-descent engineers at work said that if it wasn't for them; "Thais would still be pointing at the moon!" :o

The "old motto," found on the rather controversial Ramkhamhaeng stone, noted fish in the water. We know there is no longer many fish in the sea around Thailand, and there are also less fish in the waters, especially the smaller streams. At least there is rice in the land although much of the land is no longer owned by rice farmers, often having been sold out for short term profit and long term expense.

I agree that amongst the rural folks that planning for the future is not a strong point. There simply would have been little point in planning for an unknown when living for self-sufficiency. Also, until a little over a century ago, many of the people were slaves, or near slaves with a very low Sakdina rating. Thailand was not a monetary society and taxes were most often paid in kind or by corvee labor. The use of money, and related concepts such as credit and loans were foreign concepts. Is it any wonder that the Chinese were able to dominate the society? Once the society became monetized, even the government hired the Chinese to be the local "tax farmer". Eventually the Chinese took over the government too.

Your engineer is very typical. The Thais, on the surface, seem to have assimilated the Chinese, but the Chinese have never fully reciprocated.

My Thai, soon to be wife, is definately a planner. She has a amazing memory of how much is in the pantry, and when it needs replenishment.

Bills, she never pays extra, but does pay the day she gets the bill (I wait as long as possible). Even though she has been in the states 10 years, she has only been working 4 (since Thai hubby died). In that time she has worked 2 jobs, AND gone to school. As a result she has a good savings account, and a credit rating as high as mine :o

Food is different, she likes to have a couple main dishes and a couple side dishes (she enjoys the variety). She rarely chooses ahead (we share the cooking and restaurant choosing) and generally decides at the last minute (usually when I am headed in the opposite direction of where she wants to go).

She is good with leftovers, taking them to work to finish up.

All in all, a very good, organised planner.

cricky's you guys,

you're going on like there's no tomorrow. :D

Now i know most of you guys out there in punters land, and im surprised about your lack of spunk when it comes to tackling this issue head on. :D

give the lovely lady her money for what ever reason she has and let her loose !!! :D

and you my friends,

are off to the rubbity dub dub with your mate for a nice drop of the larger. :D

cheers :o