Magnets and or copper for Arthritis

northernjohn

Magnets and or copper for Arthritis.

Has any one any experience with these items?

Are they available in Chiang Mai?

I found a site Billy the tree.com that had all kinds of jewelry with both properties. I did not see magnetic insoles there but I know they can be found on E bay. I was wondering about them in the use for Neuropathy.

Any experience, information on ability to obtain good product in Chiang Mai greatly appreciated.

I have no positive experience or comments on magnets or copper for arthritis. In my opinion, you would be just as well off buying an amulet from one of the vendors outside Big C.

I do have one word for you - turmeric (or tumeric). The yellow powder used in cooking has some incredible properties that are beneficial to those with arthritis. I used to try whatever I could for pain relief, but after using turmeric every day for a year in my breakfast (it has little,if any taste), I am pain-free, no longer take glucosamine, and can do deep squats and back to a stand with no pain. Almost free. If I had the urgent need to, I could probably use a Thai squat toilet without fear of falling in or not being able to get back up.

• Like 1

I have no positive experience or comments on magnets or copper for arthritis. In my opinion, you would be just as well off buying an amulet from one of the vendors outside Big C.

I do have one word for you - turmeric (or tumeric). The yellow powder used in cooking has some incredible properties that are beneficial to those with arthritis. I used to try whatever I could for pain relief, but after using turmeric every day for a year in my breakfast (it has little,if any taste), I am pain-free, no longer take glucosamine, and can do deep squats and back to a stand with no pain. Almost free. If I had the urgent need to, I could probably use a Thai squat toilet without fear of falling in or not being able to get back up.

Sounds interesting. I've been using glucosamine and also fish oil which had been quite successful, but don't know how things would go back in a cold climate.

I'll give your idea a try, but I'll leave the 'missing toilet seats' well alone!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You might want to rethink no opinion

Sounds interesting. I've been using glucosamine and also fish oil which had been quite successful, but don't know how things would go back in a cold climate.

I'll give your idea a try, but I'll leave the 'missing toilet seats' well alone!

I also use Chondroitin and MSM. They have helped quite a bit. At first I used Glucosamine and it helped my knee. After a while it was not quite as affective so I added the Chondroitin. It also helped for a while then I added the MSM and it was like a supercharger. It has worked well for two years now. I do how ever feel the old pain coming back. Not bad yet but I can see a new knee in the future.

All this while my arthritis continued to grow. Nothing serious yet how ever the Neuropathy has become more of a problem. Hence the post. At present have added acupuncture and found a little relief just started two sessions and can feel a little relief.

I realize the two are a life time disease. Just trying to keep them as little as possible. As I said the Knee can and will eventually be replaced. That is not an issue. I try to remember the fish oil before a meal every day. Also use vitamin B12. As for Turmeric (at least that is the spelling on the bottle. I put it on my cereal at breakfast. Can't say as it has helped or not but they say it is supposed to be good for you as is cinnamon. So I put them both on my cereal.

Simple..Do not work! This subject has been beaten to death!

Where?

Do you even have a remote clue as to what Neuropathy is?

I'm sure different things work for different people. Turmeric works for me, and is the least expensive of all options. I used to take glucosamine and chondroitin and aspirin and other things, but have no need for them now. I was a little nervous getting rid of the glucosamine, but it can also have some negative effects. Have had both of my knees scoped but not replaced. Keep the pounds down and the weight off of them. Bike to strengthen them. Elastic knee brace when needed.

I'm sure different things work for different people. Turmeric works for me, and is the least expensive of all options. I used to take glucosamine and chondroitin and aspirin and other things, but have no need for them now. I was a little nervous getting rid of the glucosamine, but it can also have some negative effects. Have had both of my knees scoped but not replaced. Keep the pounds down and the weight off of them. Bike to strengthen them. Elastic knee brace when needed.

Added the turmeric about 6 months ago can't say as it is helping or not. To do that I would have to stop taking it and I am not willing to give up things that over a period of 5 years have proved to help. As for the Knee had Arthroscopic on it 15 years ago. Worked great for ten years. Did a little research on the Turmeric and I believe it is a separate compound found in the turmeric that does the work. Not sure on that as I just skimmed it to see if it was a good idea or not. Also a friend is big on it.

The aspirin is to help prevent blood from clotting. Does the turmeric do that also? I know that unmonitored it is recommended to take a baby aspirin as to much can cause problems.

Edited by northernjohn

Would like to disagree with that statement and offer some anecdotal evidence.

Had my curiosity piqued by the 'special' magnets that were being sold to aid fuel efficiency for gas boilers and cars and magnetic wrist bands to aid health.

Purchased one for £30 and cut it open to find a standard bar magnet inside.

Any magnet will do the job.

Now the anecdotal stuff. Friend has 3 dogs. Two close to 10 years, one is 4 years old. The youngest develops an arthritic condition and is always lagging behind, struggling to keep up with owner and the 2 older dogs. Medication from the vets had no noticeable benefits.

She put a small neodynium magnet on the dogs collar and within days the dog was walking better. About 2 weeks after the first use of the magnet, I received a thank you letter from her dog, signed with a paw print. Her youngest dog is now up front and not struggling at all. I don't believe the placebo effect is relevant with animals and therefore believe that magnet did something.

Second personal experience is a gas boiler. My aunts ageing boiler made quite a loud noise every time the gas fired up. Medium sized neodynium magnet placed on the gas pipe very close to where it enters the boiler. It's supposed to save money. Don't know if it saved her any money, but the boiler stopped making the loud noise.

Small neodynium magnet was about 8mm diameter and 3mm thick. Very cheap on eBay. It needs to be close to or touching the skin. For people and animals, bigger is not necessarily better. I tried a big neodynium (25mm diameter 10mm thick) and it gave me a headache within hours. Tried it on and off over a few days 'cos I didn't believe a magnet could do that to me, but it did, every time.

Nothing to offer regarding copper.

• Like 1

Magnetic rings etc have no proven medical effect.

BUT if they work for you then use them, my wife does and it made a big improvement for her.

And we bought from Billy the tree, excellent service turned up very quickly and no tax on delivery.

This was after searching Chiang Mai for a source of magnetic stuff and finding nothing.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Had my curiosity piqued by the 'special' magnets that were being sold to aid fuel efficiency for gas boilers and cars and magnetic wrist bands to aid health.

Now the anecdotal stuff. Friend has 3 dogs. Two close to 10 years, one is 4 years old. The youngest develops an arthritic condition and is always lagging behind, struggling to keep up with owner and the 2 older dogs. Medication from the vets had no noticeable benefits.

She put a small neodynium magnet on the dogs collar and within days the dog was walking better. About 2 weeks after the first use of the magnet, I received a thank you letter from her dog, signed with a paw print. Her youngest dog is now up front and not struggling at all. I don't believe the placebo effect is relevant with animals and therefore believe that magnet did something.

Second personal experience is a gas boiler. My aunts ageing boiler made quite a loud noise every time the gas fired up. Medium sized neodynium magnet placed on the gas pipe very close to where it enters the boiler. It's supposed to save money. Don't know if it saved her any money, but the boiler stopped making the loud noise.

Small neodynium magnet was about 8mm diameter and 3mm thick. Very cheap on eBay. It needs to be close to or touching the skin. For people and animals, bigger is not necessarily better. I tried a big neodynium (25mm diameter 10mm thick) and it gave me a headache within hours. Tried it on and off over a few days 'cos I didn't believe a magnet could do that to me, but it did, every time.

Magnetic rings etc have no proven medical effect.

BUT if they work for you then use them, my wife does and it made a big improvement for her.

And we bought from Billy the tree, excellent service turned up very quickly and no tax on delivery.

This was after searching Chiang Mai for a source of magnetic stuff and finding nothing.

Want to thank you both.

I realize science might not have proved it but then again years ago my doctor told me Glucosamine Sulfate would do nothing to help. A year later he told me they now had scientific proof it would.

I was looking for anecdotal experiences not unfounded opinions. Got a lot of them my self.

Any other experiences will be appreciated.

The dog learned to write and post a letter due to the power of magnets.

• Like 1

Re turmeric - if you are taking beta blockers, discuss the turmeric with your doctor. I took turmeric for many years, and I believe in it wholeheartedly, but there is a problem in that it does affect the efficacy of beta blockers. Despite taking BBs, my blood pressure remained quite high until I stopped taking turmeric. A google search should throw up some info.

• Like 1

I had severe low back problems. Severe enough that the head of Orthopedic Medicine wanted to fuse my spine.

I didn't want to walk around like I had a broomstick stuffed up my butt so I bought a magnetic back brace.

My back actually DID feel better as soon as I put on the brace!

I wore it every day for months. Then one weekend, I accidentally left it in a hotel room when flying off somewhere. Knowing I needed back support, I bought a brace that was NOT magnetic. Funny thing, that. It made my back feel just as good as the expensive one with the magnets, and just as soon as I put it on!

Finally, I found a physiologist who actually knew how to treat back problems without surgery or braces. She helped me fix my back, and she helped me fix my knee (did I mention I was wearing a steel-sided knee brace too?) No magnets. No surgery. No braces. I can participate in active physical sports on any level, no pain.

Proper science beats the hell out of magnets. Unless, of course, you wear the magnets while standing in a cemetery at midnight on the night of the full moon, and whirl a white chicken around your head three times. I've heard that works really well in Haiti and New Orleans.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

I had severe low back problems. Severe enough that the head of Orthopedic Medicine wanted to fuse my spine.

I didn't want to walk around like I had a broomstick stuffed up my butt so I bought a magnetic back brace.

My back actually DID feel better as soon as I put on the brace!

I wore it every day for months. Then one weekend, I accidentally left it in a hotel room when flying off somewhere. Knowing I needed back support, I bought a brace that was NOT magnetic. Funny thing, that. It made my back feel just as good as the expensive one with the magnets, and just as soon as I put it on!

Finally, I found a physiologist who actually knew how to treat back problems without surgery or braces. She helped me fix my back, and she helped me fix my knee (did I mention I was wearing a steel-sided knee brace too?) No magnets. No surgery. No braces. I can participate in active physical sports on any level, no pain.

Proper science beats the hell out of magnets. Unless, of course, you wear the magnets while standing in a cemetery at midnight on the night of the full moon, and whirl a white chicken around your head three times. I've heard that works really well in Haiti and New Orleans.

I am a big believer in Chiropractors also.

Over the years I have received much help from them.

Would never buy a back brace with or with out a magnet with out giving them a chance.

If it is a skeletal problem would not consider a magnet that is more in the area of helping nerve related issues from what I have heard.

Most of the time my back pains have been caused by swelling and easily in my case cured with some Ibuprofen.

the only time I ever wore a back brace was for a three month period when I had a 50% compressed fracture of my L5 vertebra. It worked fine.

That was the only time I did not see a chiropractor as I was in the hospital due to an accident where I crushed the vertebra. Magnets would not help there.

I am not completely unaware of the subject. I have heard some also say it helps control the pain in some cases it does not cure the cause. Makes sense to me.

Edited by northernjohn

Turmeric is anti-inflammatory in its effect, and the main active ingredient inside it is cumin which does the main work i believe. However, in my research it is always seemingly preferred to take turmeric rather than isolating the cumin part of it. This makes sense to me because turmeric is the natural herb and all the parts work together, just as nature intended. Incidentally, cumin is the word they use in thai language, except they pronounce it sort of like 'Come in'!

Ginger powder is also an anti-inflammatory, and a bit tastier, but i believe turmeric has greater abilities in reducing the inflammation of joints or whatever inside the body. Turmeric is very much lauded by herbalists, and in fact is one of the herbs/spices which has had the most western science and investigation attached to it. Interested people should look up dr weil and see what he says about it. I mention him because people not used to such unscientific things actually healing people might listen to dr weil more than most!

One thing that's not been mentioned, which i'd like to, is diet. Arthritis, and other degenerative health problems, are caused by an overly acidic-forming diet over a long period of time. They are accumulative diseases. 'Overly-acidic' means too much meat and dairy, too many refined sugars and flours, fried foods in bad oils, and not enough vegs and fruits. The western diet in other words. Too much booze can be added to the list.

So while turmeric will do some great work, if one does not attack the cause, it's effect will be lessened. Changing one's diet can have dramatic effects on one's health, and it's never too late regardless of one's age.

I should add that many pills and lotions sold through the pharmaceutical companies, ie what the doctor gives us, look like they work quickly. When it comes to herbs, they work more slowly, and therefore one must have faith and keep taking them daily for several weeks until suddenly they realise that things have improved. With general diet, it can take even longer, but with herbs and diet it is healing that takes place, whereas with the pills it's not healing, it's just managing the symptoms. That's why after a while they stop working as well, and then one is left in a worse state than before, and stronger pills become the only answer.

So much is put down to old age, and we think it's because of that, but a change in diet can set anybody's biological age clock back quite some.

Two weeks change in one's diet should be long enough to bring results to skeptics! I gave it three weeks over six years ago to help my lower back problems which were interrupting my sleep. Nobody could help me, xrays revealed no problems. Within days my back problems were gone, and i also realised i had had other niggles and so on because suddenly they were absent. I found it all rather astonishing and embarked upon research to learn more. The whole subject of food, diet, medicine, and our medical 'health' system was fascinating, and nothing like it's painted to be in mainstream media.

A change of diet, along with selected herbs and spices like turmeric, will do wonders to anybody. Two weeks of your life should be enough to try it out for yourself! See what happens to your body and mind...

Turmeric is anti-inflammatory in its effect, and the main active ingredient inside it is cumin which does the main work i believe.

'Cumin' is a spice. It's seeds are ground and and used as a flavoring in Indian, Mexican, and several other cultures.

The active ingredient in turmeric, believed to to have anti-inflammatory properties is called 'Curcumin,' a very different chemical agent.

Turmeric is anti-inflammatory in its effect, and the main active ingredient inside it is cumin which does the main work i believe. However, in my research it is always seemingly preferred to take turmeric rather than isolating the cumin part of it. This makes sense to me because turmeric is the natural herb and all the parts work together, just as nature intended. Incidentally, cumin is the word they use in thai language, except they pronounce it sort of like 'Come in'!

Ginger powder is also an anti-inflammatory, and a bit tastier, but i believe turmeric has greater abilities in reducing the inflammation of joints or whatever inside the body. Turmeric is very much lauded by herbalists, and in fact is one of the herbs/spices which has had the most western science and investigation attached to it. Interested people should look up dr weil and see what he says about it. I mention him because people not used to such unscientific things actually healing people might listen to dr weil more than most!

One thing that's not been mentioned, which i'd like to, is diet. Arthritis, and other degenerative health problems, are caused by an overly acidic-forming diet over a long period of time. They are accumulative diseases. 'Overly-acidic' means too much meat and dairy, too many refined sugars and flours, fried foods in bad oils, and not enough vegs and fruits. The western diet in other words. Too much booze can be added to the list.

So while turmeric will do some great work, if one does not attack the cause, it's effect will be lessened. Changing one's diet can have dramatic effects on one's health, and it's never too late regardless of one's age.

Thanks for the input.

I as I said I did just a little research and it pretty well said Turmeric had cumin as the main ingredient to help with the health. I wondered why not just take it by it's self. I believe you had it rite when you said the other ingredients would help it to perform better. I did some more checking on it and most places I looked called it Curcumin as folk guitar said. The one I had looked at when I first started it called it cumin and I didn't bother to check any place else. I Think I will increase my dosage.

How can anyone believe in such BS

The Topic should be closed I am shocked that it was allowed

A non believer eh?

If it can't be reconciled by physics, chemistry or biology it can't be true?

Science doesn't have all the answers - yet. Have an open mind. I reject and accept, based on my experiences.

Some things I have experienced can't be explained by science.

My beliefs can't be forced on to you. Your choices and your belief system are uniquely yours. And I respect that your choice is to think some things are BS.

But what I relate to others is not BS. Simply what I've witnessed.

Tumeric may have antiinflamatory properties, that does not make it a "cure" it is a treatment for cronic symptoms just like pharma treatments. "Just like nature intended" ? rolleyes.gif seriously, the chemicals in tumeric and other medicinal, culinary and narcotic plants evolved to protect the plant from insects, fungus or animals. Centuries of trial and error have found some to be effective treatments, ... the "acidic" diet thing has been so well tested and debunked, only the most hardcore wooist scam diet gurus still talk about that....

The dog learned to write and post a letter due to the power of magnets.

I would hope that most members could take the small step necessary to understand the letter written by the dog.

However, Benjie's humour made me realise that some members may not, and this forum having a multi-national membership, sometimes things get lost in translation.

So, no, magnets don't endow intellect and human language skills into canines. The letter was written by the owner, but 'signed' by the dog with a paw print.

(Although, because I didn't actually witness the letter writing, this is an assumption.)

Tumeric may have antiinflamatory properties, that does not make it a "cure" it is a treatment for cronic symptoms just like pharma treatments. "Just like nature intended" ? rolleyes.gif seriously, the chemicals in tumeric and other medicinal, culinary and narcotic plants evolved to protect the plant from insects, fungus or animals. Centuries of trial and error have found some to be effective treatments, ... the "acidic" diet thing has been so well tested and debunked, only the most hardcore wooist scam diet gurus still talk about that....

Turmeric Supplements Show Promise in Treating Arthritis

"Initial results showed that a version of turmeric extract that was free of essential oils had a significant impact on arthritis and most closely matched the composition of commercially available supplements. This version was used in subsequent experiments and was shown to prevent acute and chronic arthritis, even when it was administered after arthritis had been induced. In addition, turmeric significantly inhibited joint destruction due to arthritis, and inhibited NF-κB, a protein that controls the gene expression of substances that produce an inflammatory response. Turmeric also altered the expression of hundreds of genes involved in joint swelling and destruction and prevented an increase in osteoclasts (cells that break down bone) in joints."

For the full article: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-662-turmeric.aspx?activeingredientid=662&activeingredientname=turmeric

Take the magnetic jewelry and place a piece of iron metal against it, the magnetic field will attract the metal

now put a piece of heavy cardboard paper between the iron and magnetic jewelry. The magnetic field will not penetrate the cardboard and the magnet will not attract the iron

even if magnetic jewelry had a therapeutic affect on arthritis, if the magnetic field is weal enough not be able to perpetrate cardboard paper, how will it be able to penetrate skin and bone to have an affect??????

Just asking

Take the magnetic jewelry and place a piece of iron metal against it, the magnetic field will attract the metal

now put a piece of heavy cardboard paper between the iron and magnetic jewelry. The magnetic field will not penetrate the cardboard and the magnet will not attract the iron

even if magnetic jewelry had a therapeutic affect on arthritis, if the magnetic field is weal enough not be able to perpetrate cardboard paper, how will it be able to penetrate skin and bone to have an affect??????

Just asking

bad example for lots of reasons. anyway, look up transcranial magnetic stimulation. magnetism has powerful effects on the brain. granted that's done by use of coils that generate magnetism, and not, as far as I know, with plain magnets

Just asking

bad example for lots of reasons. anyway, look up transcranial magnetic stimulation. magnetism has powerful effects on the brain. granted that's done by use of coils that generate magnetism, and not, as far as I know, with plain magnets

Even plain magnets have different strengths. There are magnets powerful enough to pick up a car.

I have small magnets that I bought at the plastic shop in Worrorot Market that when I put one on one side of my finger it will try to pull the other one around to the same side. When I turn it over it will slide the other one off to the side of it if they were both on the same side of the finger. They will no longer be opposite of it.

Does it work with Arthritis I don't know. Does it penetrate human flesh most assuredly it does. I did find it curious that Pro shops at golf courses would have the bracelets. Apparently no one has any real knowledge of the affects the magnetic field has on the human body. I would think real science not opinions would have some information on this. There is some satisfactory personal experiences but are they rare or not. Probably as most people will not even try some thing different.

Ginger powder is also an anti-inflammatory, and a bit tastier, but i believe turmeric has greater abilities in reducing the inflammation of joints or whatever inside the body.

You're a funny one. I never said it was a cure, and i've left in the relevant bit from my post for you to see this. Maybe you need some herbs to help you see what you read better. i can advise if you wish...

Turmeric is very well-known for helping out with any number of medical ailments, and has heaps of research and science to back this up. Plenty of people, including on this very thread, have shown that it works for them too.

As for diet, i have left that bit in too, because it's completely correct. You use the passive voice in being so certain of your facts. As it happens, dressing up your own belief into a certain fact will not make it a fact. You are wrong, diet has a huge impact on people's health, and too many foods which turn into an acid ash after digestion will create the very conditions that illnesses thrive on.

Don't use the passive voice, show us who has done the debunking for you, give us some support for your funny facts.