Magnets and or copper for Arthritis

northernjohn

Curcumin found in turmeric is an anti-inflammatory agent. (Note: It is NOT an arthritis cure, it is an anti-inflammatory agent effective in reducing inflammation caused by, among other things, arthritis.)

Acetaminophen is an anti-inflammatory agent. (Note: It is NOT an arthritis cure, it is an anti-inflammatory agent effective in reducing inflammation caused by, among other things, arthritis.)

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory agent. (Note: It is NOT an arthritis cure, it is an anti-inflammatory agent effective in reducing inflammation caused by, among other things, arthritis.)

Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory agent. (Note: It is NOT an arthritis cure, it is an anti-inflammatory agent effective in reducing inflammation caused by, among other things, arthritis.)

Willow bark, ginger, rosemary, cinnamon... there are dozens of anti-inflamatory agents, and they are all effective in reducing inflammation.

"Arthritis" means inflammation (itis) of the joints (arthro.) Any anti-inflammatory agent is going to have the effect of reducing the inflammation.

Depending upon the severity of the causative factors, that inflammation IS going to come back. The anti-inflammatory agents are not going to stop that from happening unless you eat them regularly, and if you do, it really doesn't make very much difference which ones you eat. They all work.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Ginger powder is also an anti-inflammatory, and a bit tastier, but i believe turmeric has greater abilities in reducing the inflammation of joints or whatever inside the body.

One thing that's not been mentioned, which i'd like to, is diet. Arthritis, and other degenerative health problems, are caused by an overly acidic-forming diet over a long period of time. They are accumulative diseases. 'Overly-acidic' means too much meat and dairy, too many refined sugars and flours, fried foods in bad oils, and not enough vegs and fruits. The western diet in other words. Too much booze can be added to the list.

So while turmeric will do some great work, if one does not attack the cause, it's effect will be lessened. Changing one's diet can have dramatic effects on one's health, and it's never too late regardless of one's age.

Tumeric may have antiinflamatory properties, that does not make it a "cure" it is a treatment for cronic symptoms just like pharma treatments. "Just like nature intended" ? rolleyes.gif seriously, the chemicals in tumeric and other medicinal, culinary and narcotic plants evolved to protect the plant from insects, fungus or animals. Centuries of trial and error have found some to be effective treatments, ... the "acidic" diet thing has been so well tested and debunked, only the most hardcore wooist scam diet gurus still talk about that....

You're a funny one. I never said it was a cure, and i've left in the relevant bit from my post for you to see this. Maybe you need some herbs to help you see what you read better. i can advise if you wish...

Turmeric is very well-known for helping out with any number of medical ailments, and has heaps of research and science to back this up. Plenty of people, including on this very thread, have shown that it works for them too.

As for diet, i have left that bit in too, because it's completely correct. You use the passive voice in being so certain of your facts. As it happens, dressing up your own belief into a certain fact will not make it a fact. You are wrong, diet has a huge impact on people's health, and too many foods which turn into an acid ash after digestion will create the very conditions that illnesses thrive on.

Don't use the passive voice, show us who has done the debunking for you, give us some support for your funny facts.

What's odd here is that you are doing substantially the same thing you accuse daoyai of: making assertions with no scientific supporting evidence. Here's an aricle from wikipedia that has all the footnotes and scientific support your assertions are so sorely lacking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet

Take the magnetic jewelry and place a piece of iron metal against it, the magnetic field will attract the metal

now put a piece of heavy cardboard paper between the iron and magnetic jewelry. The magnetic field will not penetrate the cardboard and the magnet will not attract the iron

even if magnetic jewelry had a therapeutic affect on arthritis, if the magnetic field is weal enough not be able to perpetrate cardboard paper, how will it be able to penetrate skin and bone to have an affect??????

Just asking

bad example for lots of reasons. anyway, look up transcranial magnetic stimulation. magnetism has powerful effects on the brain. granted that's done by use of coils that generate magnetism, and not, as far as I know, with plain magnets

I am familiar with the affects of EMFs on the brain

The Op mentioned magnetic jewelry and insoles , and any of the magnetic jewelry I am familiar with the fields they generate is to weak to any affect or penatrate human skin and reach the affected area,

and I quote Live Science

"the therapeutic magnets sold to ease aches and pains have magnetic fields that are generally too weak to penetrate your skin. You can test this by observing the weak interaction between a magnetic shoe insert and a paperclip when separated by a sock. Human skin is about 3 millimeters deep, thicker than some socks."

Full article at :

http://www.livescience.com/40174-magnetic-therapy.html

• Like 1

1. Placebo effect.....a fake treatment with no medical value, such as an inactive ingredient, given to the subject in order to deceive the patient into thinking there is beneficial qualities to the treatment.
Funny that the OP's avatar says, "Don't feed the troll." That's irony.
  • Like 1

1. Placebo effect.....a fake treatment with no medical value, such as an inactive ingredient, given to the subject in order to deceive the patient into thinking there is beneficial qualities to the treatment.

Dont underestimate the ability of the brain to repair the body or at the very least affect positive change

causing the above definition of the placebo effect to be some what inaccurate

"a fake treatment with no medical value,"

a fake treatment that provides a measure of medical improvement clearly has medical value

research is taking place right now to unlock the mechanism under which the placebo effect takes place in the brain and induce such effect with out the fake treatment

• Like 1

Dont underestimate the ability of the brain to repair the body or at the very least affect positive change

causing the above definition of the placebo effect to be some what inaccurate

"a fake treatment with no medical value,"

a fake treatment that provides a measure of medical improvement clearly has medical value

research is taking place right now to unlock the mechanism under which the placebo effect takes place in the brain and induce such effect with out the fake treatment

You are 100% correct in the placebo effect working in some cases. As it stands now we are still learning about the power in the brain. How to unlock it's secrets has come along way since most of the older generation was in school and still has a long way to go.

That being said I notice that every one with the anti magnetic opinion has referred to a week magnet. As I said I have bought some magnets at the plastic shop in the Worrorot market. That when placed directly opposite each other on a finger will cause the other to move. To be honest with you I don't think much of the magnetic insoles I have run across over the years none of them seem to have that much strength. A pair of socks would block them.

That being said perhaps some where out there is a pair that would work. I don't know. I did mention Neuropathy no one seemed to have an opinion on that. Well they did say the magnetic insoles were to week. But that means nothing if strength is the problem. Double or Triple them up.

I might add acupuncture seems to have a little bit of relief. Is it really working or is it a placebo effect. I don't care as it is the result I want any way it comes. Folk Guitar has mentioned in the past a fine doctor for the feet. I know there are people who dispute his certificate but the people who have used him seem to be very happy with him. I might check it out with him even though it is more a nerve problem.

Depending upon the severity of the causative factors, that inflammation IS going to come back. The anti-inflammatory agents are not going to stop that from happening unless you eat them regularly, and if you do, it really doesn't make very much difference which ones you eat. They all work.

Somewhat correct. It does matter what you take. Firstly the curcumin within turmeric works in synergy or tandem with the rest of the components that make up turmeric. Western medicine likes to find active ingredients from natural herbs of foods or plants, extract them, then bung them together with a load of chemicals, and then patent their resulting pill so they can make billlions. But the trouble is all the other things they put with the active ingredient are not good for one's body and will add to the health imbalance, especially over time.

Whereas the turmeric will always help, but with the proviso that one takes breaks from it. It's always good to take breaks from all foods, herbs, spices, superfoods and so on so that the body does not become dependent.

As for healing and cures, that can only be effected by one's immune system, and that in turn depends on a variety of factors, not least diet and alcohol consumption, exercise, and attitude towards life. But most people eat the SAD (=standard american diet), and are therefore health accidents just waiting to happen. It inevitably leads to back pain, arthritis, diabetes, cancer, heart attacks, and so on. The only unknown variable is when it will actually happen, and that can be down to one's genes to an extent.

Naturoathy to me means giving the body and mind a chance to heal itself through natural foods, herbs, superfoods, and other things like body manipulation (eg massage, reflexology etc) and positive outlook on life. Pills made by the profit-hungry pharmaceutical companies are pretend friends, here to maybe help today, but to exact its price tomorrow. Occasionally they can give the immune system a boost to get it back workign to do its natural healing work on our body and mind, but as a standard health practice, no thanks. Just for me mind, i've done my research. I believe in the freedom of indivuals to poison themselves…!! I used to, and wouldn't dream of stopping anyone. People in fact get very partial to their poisons.

To extend your ironies of life, all medical doctors know full well that the placebo effect works, that it helps their patients, simply because they have first-hand experience of it. However, they cannot explain it because their training contained nothing in it to help them understand, because, in MASSIVE ironies of ironies, their training says the mind has nothing to do with physical ailments of the body.

Irony is everywhere you look.

But in the reality of life, the human mind has a huge impact on our levels of health or non-health. It's arguable - but unproveable at this point in time - that the human mind is behind all physical health problems.

What you feed your body with food, and what you feed your mind with in terms of visual, aural, and mental impressions, will dictate how healthy you are. And it's never too late to change one's ways. Just alter your mindset, and watch the world transform.

Irony is delicious served with a strawberry and banana shake with coconut water and a dash of aloe vera in it. Helps arthritis too...

• Like 1

To extend your ironies of life, all medical doctors know full well that the placebo effect works, that it helps their patients, simply because they have first-hand experience of it. However, they cannot explain it because their training contained nothing in it to help them understand, because, in MASSIVE ironies of ironies, their training says the mind has nothing to do with physical ailments of the body.

Irony is everywhere you look.

But in the reality of life, the human mind has a huge impact on our levels of health or non-health. It's arguable - but unproveable at this point in time - that the human mind is behind all physical health problems.

What you feed your body with food, and what you feed your mind with in terms of visual, aural, and mental impressions, will dictate how healthy you are. And it's never too late to change one's ways. Just alter your mindset, and watch the world transform.

Irony is delicious served with a strawberry and banana shake with coconut water and a dash of aloe vera in it. Helps arthritis too...

The science of the mind has along way to go. Those who think there is nothing more to learn about it are cheating them selves.

Mod's this has drifted off course. I got some good ideas and see no further help forthcoming.

So I would ask you to shut it off.

Edited by northernjohn