UK Visa for long term Thai GF visiting my UK family (VAF1B)?

@theoldgit 7by7 bigyin

Thanks for all of this again, great advice to follow, you guys are always replying. I can get the right evidence, everything is true anyway, just want a best first impression.

We have a lease together, photos from all over Thailand(do they need titles then?) and perhaps email logs, though we live together also.

My current support letter is about 1 A4 introduction, funding source paragraph, address, and the other 1 A4 is mostly how we met, relationship, reason for my life in Thailand, proposed trip, her life in Thailand and my plans for the future. Trying to be to the point also.

Do you guys or yourself theoldgit/bigyin help in any way if a guy asks to read over his sponsor letter for tips? Like send a PM or something with names as Person A / Person B. If you do, and have the time, it would be soo appreciated, but just a though, my first time sponsoring for her, big thing, for us anyway haha.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the volunteering guys, have private messaged you now so hopefully you can give some pointers here and there if needed (probably needed haha).

Maybe some focus perhaps on how much detail I need to go into about certain parts, tog gave some helpful hints too.

tog, 7by7 and bigyin did a great job getting back to me on my PMs, taken all advice and come to a good written letter I think, also my fathers financial and accommodation confirmation letter too.

Supporting documents from my girlfriend, if she is already having the trip financed, does she still need to produce bank statements? To prove that she has been getting paid in her current job, which she will leave though. (we have just 2 payslips)

Supporting documents from my girlfriend, if she is already having the trip financed, does she still need to produce bank statements? To prove that she has been getting paid in her current job, which she will leave though. (we have just 2 payslips)

I would be inclined to include her bank statements/book to prove that she has been working to date, it all helps build up a picture.

Great thanks tog, seems best again, so will do so.

wow, So thinking about and after all this document making and grabbing, what are the main causes for having to provide so much information these days? I know times change, and, really I can understand somewhat but just my opinion, though I would like to know. My father and parents were quite shocked, (and worried about identity theft having over so much information even if to government officials), even though they are happy to provide what we need. Has it just got harder over the last few years, or always been like this? Have some thai just been getting visit visas and staying around permanently in Thailand?

The rules and requirements apply to all non EEA national applicants, not just Thais.

The basic requirements haven't changed since I first became involved 15 years ago; and are

• the visitor is genuine and not attempting to enter the UK for some other purpose;
  • the visitor will be supported and accommodated throughout their visit without working or recourse to public funds;
  • the visitor will leave the UK when or before their visa expires.

One thing I have noticed over the last 15 years is that applications are being scrutinised more and more strictly. Particularly from certain countries, of which Thailand is, unfortunately, one, and from certain types of applicant such as girl/boyfriends of UK residents.

This, I believe, is due to the tightening up of the settlement rules, especially the financial requirement, and the ever increasing cost of UK settlement which tempts some couples to try and use a visit visa to by pass those rules and remain in the UK illegally.

Of course there always have been, and always will be, people who try and obtain a visit visa to enter the UK for some other purpose, e.g. work, with no intention of leaving. Some succeed, others don't.

It is due to the activities of these people that genuine applicants, such as your girlfriend, have to provide so much evidence; especially to prove they will return home, or at least leave the UK, at the end of their visit.

Thanks for laying it out.

My thoughts were also on the fact that yes "The rules and requirements apply to all non EEA national applicants, not just Thais."

Though I guess there is indeed scrutiny involved with some countries and even more so based on relationship statuses with the sponsor, along with your statement of people succeeding to live illegally in the UK, or at least trying, so they have to be more strict and careful.

My parents are fairly old I guess, and just worry about sending out such large sensitive information, even to government officials? (identity theft worrisome), I told them we can have the originals back after the process, but they still worry, nonetheless will send me the docs anyway of course. Also does my Dad need to sign every page of the original bank statements at all? I think not right?

Edited by Saltwater

UKVI is a government agency, and those who submit documents are as liable to become the victims of identity theft as those who submit information to any other government agency or department, such as HMRC; i.e. not at all as it is all covered by the Data Protection Act.

There is no need for any original document, such as bank statements, to be certified or signed by anyone.

Remember that if you or your dad want the originals back then you should also provide copies; but as you are supplying the originals as well there is no need to certify or sign these copies.

@blackcab Thanks for these bits of information and tips, that is great if the process is not as complicated as I thought it could be (im getting used to just 'immigration' times and queues these days! ha)

My father is asking, if we use original documents, do you get them back after you get your visa result? Or on the day of appointment, can you take originals and photocopies, and just give them the photocopies after they check the originals and photocopies are the same? Which would be best if both ways are fine? My Dad would like the original mortgage statement and banks statements back after they are done with them. Thanks.

My wife and her parents got the original documents back at the time of the application.

They only kept the current and expired passports. These were returned at the sane timeach at the conclusion of the process.

Hello All,

Urgent replies would be great! As we are literally currently filling in the application online and I need to check some wording for some questions:

Passport and travel information

• Are you a national of the country in which you are applying? -> Are you a national of the country in which you are making your visa application?
    I guessed this means Thailand as we are applying in Thailand? It doesn't say 'to' or 'from', so checking. When I click 'No' it says: Please Enter Details of what permission you have to stay in this country

Family and Friends

• Please enter details of what you plan to do whilst in the UK
    How long does this need to be? As long as the one page A4 supporting letter she has written? An itinerary?

Additional Information

• Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?
    Same question as above, she has written a support letter stating when, what, how and why. Confirming, so copy/paste that into this large text area?

Thanks all! Looking forward to your advice as always.

It is your girlfriend who is applying not you and she is a national of Thailand which is where she is applying from so the answer is 'Yes'. Don't forget at every stage that whilst you might be completing the form it is actually your girlfriend who is applying. I even had to do this for my 10 year old Thai step daughter and it felt quite weird but necessary.

What you are planning to do can be quite short. They don't care about the detail of where you are going so she (through you) just needs to say that she is going to be introduced to your family, meet your friends and see some of England. That sort of thing...keep it short.

Put anything here that you think there is any possibility could be missed from the form and your and her covering letter. Again don't forget that whilst you might be saying it in your sponsor letter she can say it again in her application.

Hey bigyin,

Thanks a lot for this! Yes thanks, I had been completing the application as if I was in my own girlfriends shoes.

Great, I made the initial what I(she) will be doing whilst in UK briefly in this section, much like you have hinted.

Additional Info: Thanks, I will try to think of anything else I(she) may have missed out in both of our letters, and perhaps write her A4 letter here as a 'brief' version? As basically is confirms my sponsor letter, along with all her own reasons and focused on her reasons to visit and return. Job offer, inheritance, etc.

EDIT: Additional Info: If I can't think of anything, best to not leave this blank and just reconfirm main points? Thanks.

Edited by Saltwater

Hey All, well got that completed and appointment booked!

Have another question, bank statements from my girlfriend. Her current job had her open a new bank account, so only about 2-3 months worth of statement there (have payslips too). Also her normal bank account, it seems that we may not be able to get the original bank statements in time, though my father is financing the trip for her. So what I am asking is, 1. Does it really matter if we don't provide her normal bank account statements, and 2. if it does matter and we can't get the originals in time, can we use printed out versions from the online banking and put a note on it explaining why we are using those instead? Thank you.

As your father is paying for the trip, evidence of your girlfriend's finances is not absolutely necessary. Although recommended as it shows her stability in Thailand.

Provide statements of her new account, and her payslips, as this is evidence of her employment. Explain why there are only 2 to 3 months in the additional information box on the form or in your sponsor's letter.

If you can't get original statements of her other account use online ones and, if possible, have the bank certify them as correct. If not possible, then do as you suggest.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that they do accept uncertified printouts of online statements; but there is a risk that they wont as these can easily be altered.

@7by7 Thanks, taking your advice, I think we cant get the normal bank statements in time, so will printing out the statements and will note why the new bank statements and payslips are only 2-3 months. As she only just started work, (4 month probation). We have the document that shows when she started also.

Can I ask also, her new bank savings book bank, if we get that updated and use that instead of bank statements for her, do you think that would also be acceptable, also the normal bank saving book also, if we get that updated too (transactions printed on it), do they count?

Lastly, our appointment is in about a week, we will book tickets Chiang Mai to Bangkok returns, her passport though, she will be handing that in at appointment right, to get the Visa in? So on her flight back that day, is she able to use her Thai ID as ID for getting on the flight back to Chiang Mai? Probably Nok Air.

Thanks all.

Edited by Saltwater

Up dated bank books or bank statements; both acceptable.

The embassy will keep her passport until the decision is made, but as she will be on an internal flight she should not need it.

If the airline want to confirm her identity, her ID card should do.

Odd question, the other day my gf burnt her thumb bad and I remember reading that when biometrics are taken, her fingerprints must be unmarked. Can she use either thumb? or do they pick which thumb/finger?

Also just thinking about it, they take her biometrics for her and are done/taken at the visa application centre where the appointment is at the trendy building correct? We don't have to get them done ourselves from somewhere else first right?

EDIT: found where it is stated:

Step 4

Enrol your fingerprints and photograph (known as biometric information collection) at the visa application centre. This includes a digital finger scan (all 10 digits) and a digital photograph. The finger scan procedure uses an electronic scanner. No ink, liquid or chemical. You should ensure that your fingertips are free from any forms of decoration (for example, henna), cuts, abrasions or other markings as these may affect your ability to provide acceptable finger scans. Your digital photograph must be taken with full face and without sunglasses or tinted spectacles, or head covering unless it is worn for religious or medical reasons. Your face should be clearly visible with no hair across the eyes. We cannot process your visa if you do not submit your biometric information.

Edited by Saltwater

As you discovered, her biometrics will be taken at the VAC; which is why applicants must attend in person and document submission cannot be done by post.

All applicants need to attend in person, no matter how many times they've applied before, as biometrics are taken each time. One reason being to check it is the same person as before!

I'm afraid I don't know how or even if her burnt thumb will effect this procedure.

Ahh I see, ok thank you then. Yeh I am not sure it will affect anything either. It's already healing.. so I guess it will be ok.

Also I have applied online, so as I understand it, I do not need to print out and fill in this form stated here?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-to-visit-or-for-short-term-stay-form-vaf1a

----

Please bring:
- a print out of your appointment confirmation
- a signed print out of your visa application form
- your passport
- a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate if you are going to the UK for more than 6 months
- if you are under 18, a signed letter of consent from a parent or guardian
- any other documents to support your application.

-----

The - a signed print out of your visa application form is actual vaf1a form anyway correct? Thanks. Making sure always.

Yep, once you have submitted the application online you will be able to print out the completed form.

This is the one she signs and takes with her.

Don't worry if you didn't print it at the time, you can go back and do it now.

Simply log in and then click on "Print application."

Your link doesn't actually work for me; but I assume it is to the old paper form which applicants in North Korea still need to use.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-to-visit-or-for-short-term-stay-form-vaf1a this form.

Thanks great, yeh that is the usual printed and written form that people used to use correct? I will be printing out the one we have already completed to use then instead like it says, thanks.

Another quick question, is there any real benefit in already making a 'reservation' on flight tickets, not actual booking but a paid small reservation (we can through an agency I know) and printing that out as evidence for our plans to fly there and back, then to honestly state in our letters, that we plan to pay the full ticket price if we receive a successful Visa for my girlfriend? Thanks.

Edited by Saltwater

Another quick question, is there any real benefit in already making a 'reservation' on flight tickets, not actual booking but a paid small reservation (we can through an agency I know) and printing that out as evidence for our plans to fly there and back, then to honestly state in our letters, that we plan to pay the full ticket price if we receive a successful Visa for my girlfriend? Thanks.

No benefit at all.

Thanks then tog.

We have our appointment next week, so I have printed the application, my fathers documents arrived already and nearly have all other support documents ready! The application I printed from completed application on www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk, had this on the front for a photo space: *image attached*
post-167206-0-27028500-1434122323_thumb.

So I guess my next important question is, what photos exactly do we need to take of my girlfriend with us, and also what type of photograph goes in that space, UK visa size? and do we stick it on ourselves first also? Thanks all

Edited by Saltwater

Thanks TOG, I have just had a read on a website: www.immigrationboards.com/general-uk-immigration-forum/uk-visitor-visa-rejected-t138057.html

If someone other than yourself is paying for all or any part of this visit, how much money will they give you?

Our question was, 79: Is someone other than other than you paying for all or a part of your trip?

Answer: YES.

80: What is the total amount in GBP?

Answer: 700-900

Actually what we meant was this is the estimated cost, as my father will pay for ALL expenses (as written in financial support letter), and I saw the above applicant was rejected with this question as one reason.

I am now tempted to re-print my girlfriends support letter and my letter with this statement added also:

"In my application, question 80: WHAT IS THE TOTAL AMOUNT IN GBP? We estimated 700-900 for the trip but I clarify this is actually ‘as much as needed’ because sponsor’s father is providing full financial support and will cover any other incidental expenses."

We leave for Bangkok tomorrow! any ideas or confirmation would be amazing, thank you.