Cost Of Living In Khon Kaen

happymanme

hi every one

could anyone give me an approx idea of the cost of living in khon kaen for 1 thai female adult and 3 year old child,presuming that they rent a small 2 bed apartment in a reasonable area. i know this is a bit diffecult but i have no clue as to cost of living in this part of thailand.

the reason is that my girlfriend is moving back to her family area and i need to know for myself wat to expect to send over, without going over the top as i am not rolling in it,

but do want to provide at least a reasanable level for them and still leave enough money so that i can actually afford to visit.

she will be working but i have been advised that wages tend to be about 5 - 6 thousand baht per month (shop or restuarent work) at most

any information would be apprecieted

thank you

allan

:o

My Brother and Sister in law and 2 kiddies get by on about 6000baht a month, though I dont know how. Post your enquiry in this Link and you can speak to someone who actually lives there, it's a good site and I'm sure you'll find it very handy.

• 2 weeks later...
Does khon Kaen have the coolest weather in Thailand? Is it less humid that other parts of Thailand? what are average temperatures? thanks!

jim

NO. NOT REALLY. 25 - 30 C in "cool season", 35 - 42 C in hot season, like right now! Brief answers I know, but am in a hurry. Go to Loei or Chaing Rai mountains for "cool" weather, Khon Kaen for "cool" people! :o

hi every one

could anyone give me an approx idea of the cost of living in khon kaen for 1 thai female adult and 3 year old child,presuming that they rent a small 2 bed apartment in a reasonable area. i know this is a bit diffecult but i have no clue as to cost of living in this part of thailand.

the reason is that my girlfriend is moving back to her family area and i need to know for myself wat to expect to send over, without going over the top as i am not rolling in it,

but do want to provide at least a reasanable level for them and still leave enough money so that i can actually afford to visit.

she will be working but i have been advised that wages tend to be about 5 - 6 thousand baht per month (shop or restuarent work) at most

thank you

allan

:D

Hi Im in the same position my girlfriend and family are just about to re-locate from Hua-Hin to outside Khon Khen. I found everything cheaper there when we visited in january. Even my G/F was amazed at the cheap food prices. Its about half price for veg and meat even the supermarkets are about 25% chaeper than Hua Hin. :o

I give her about 20,000 baht a month at the moment this supports her and the rest of the family (Ma.Pa, 2 brothers, and a dog) all live well on it and they pay house rent of 2,000 + utilities.

So I reckon I can knock it down to 15,000 a month.....however the G/F is horrified at this suggestion.... she would rather I send the normal amount and then she saves the surplus..... :D

I realise a lot of guys on here will think that is still a lot but I want them to have a high standard and not loose face. I also reckon it will be hard for the family to find jobs back at home as they are about 20K outside the city.

hi every one

thank you

allan

Hi Im in the same position my girlfriend and family are just about to re-locate from Hua-Hin to outside Khon Khen. I found everything cheaper there when we visited in january. Even my G/F was amazed at the cheap food prices. Its about half price for veg and meat even the supermarkets are about 25% chaeper than Hua Hin. :o

I give her about 20,000 baht a month at the moment this supports her and the rest of the family (Ma.Pa, 2 brothers, and a dog) all live well on it and they pay house rent of 2,000 + utilities.

So I reckon I can knock it down to 15,000 a month.....however the G/F is horrified at this suggestion.... she would rather I send the normal amount and then she saves the surplus..... :D

I realise a lot of guys on here will think that is still a lot but I want them to have a high standard and not loose face. I also reckon it will be hard for the family to find jobs back at home as they are about 20K outside the city.

Use that link in my previous post, and I think you'll find that pretty helpfull.

She'll be lucky to earn Bht 5,000 to 6,000 per month unless she has a degree. Normal restaurant wages are probably half that. Hotels pay a bit more but she will have had to have finished her schooling, i.e. not left at 15 years old.

Make her income up to Bht 8,000 per month (her earnings plus what you send her) and she should be in 7th heaven.

and the thing is he has become really extravegant since coming to LOS

Cheeky young bugger!

I'll have you know that I give my missis Bht 4,000 per month allowance. And don't even ask her how she spends it!

I know you don't ask cause you make her bring you the receipts :D:D:o

I know you don't ask cause you make her bring you the receipts

Since you got 5 squares, you've become intolerable.

Bring back the legs!

didnt think you were still here J thought the wilds of surin would envelope you, that was tomorrows reading, anyway would have lots more if IT wasnt for that legless bathtub MANAGING to get his hands on the DELETE button. :o

could anyone give me an approx idea of the cost of living in khon kaen for 1 thai female adult and 3 year old child,presuming that they rent a small 2 bed apartment in a reasonable area.

Very expensive, in Khon Kaen, Isaan people standards.

Very cheap, in Khon Kaen, farang standards.

What part are you from? :o

could anyone give me an approx idea of the cost of living in khon kaen for 1 thai female adult and 3 year old child,presuming that they rent a small 2 bed apartment in a reasonable area.

Very expensive, in Khon Kaen, Isaan people standards.

Very cheap, in Khon Kaen, farang standards.

What part are you from? :o

It'l do me Blue and quite a few others feel the same way. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Another thing with my G/F no matter how much money I send her a month she always manages to run out :D She NEVER saves any money (or so she claimes) do you guys find the same?

I do not live in Thailand but I know quite alot of Thai women from all over the U.S and I would say 99% of them do not know how to save money. My wife included. I gave her family more money than they can make in a year and a couple of days later they are broke again. I am sure their are a few exceptions out there, but I have not met them yet.

As for my wife I tried teaching her how to save. I told her for every dollar she saves I would double it for her, She still has not been over $200.00 yet. I think her purse has ahole in it. :o

• 2 years later...
hi every one

thank you

allan

Gentleman

I hope you also realise that alots of Guys may also laugh at what you think is a high standard.

It's great to see that you have it all worked out, "so how not too loose face".

And Londonguy if you are realy lost and don't know how much things could, should or would cost in KK, them I rekon you should send the same amount as it costs in London to rent for the month.

Cheers

C-Sip[

Gentleman

I hope you also realise that alots of Guys may also laugh at what you think is a high standard.

And Londonguy if you are realy lost and don't know how much things could, should or would cost in KK, them I rekon you should send the same amount as it costs in London to rent for the month.

Cheers

C-Sip[

Who you talking to?

This thread is over 2 years old.

Comparing rents in KK to London is a waste of time, your forte apparently. :o

Another thing with my G/F no matter how much money I send her a month she always manages to run out :o She NEVER saves any money (or so she claimes) do you guys find the same?

Londonguy,

Same but I found out it was the dog taking it, the mutt always had his paw in there.

Gentleman

Cheers

C-Sip[

Who you talking to?

This thread is over 2 years old.

Comparing rents in KK to London is a waste of time, your forte apparently. :o

Thanks for the Heads UP there Thaipwriter

Will pay more attention to the dates on threads.

I was not comparing rents there either, amount of money to send G/F.

See we all make mistakes! (Me more than you of cause)

Anyway thanks again!

Cheers

Matt

Cost of living is low. So are the wages. If you want to take this as a measurement, the minimum wage of a farm worker is around 160 Bht per day (someone correct me if I am wrong).

So, I think if anyone would be willing to transfer 20'000 Bht per month would enable the recipiant to live very comfortably to say the least.