Internet Technician killed as street pylon collapses in East Pattaya

webfact

Pattaya Internet Technician killed as street pylon collapses in East Pattaya

pylon-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Police and medics were called to the scene of an accident which occurred in East Pattaya on Tuesday afternoon which saw an Internet Technician crushed by a falling street pylon he had climbed up to replace some cables.

The incident occurred in Soi Kao Talo at the entrance to the Siam Royal View Estate just before 3.30pm. The deceased technician who works for the True Corporation was named as Khun Suppachai aged 38, who was working with his younger brother at the time and the pair had been sent to replace and move some internet cables.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/175572/pattaya-internet-technician-killed-as-street-pylon-collapses-in-east-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-11

RIP sad way to go due to lack of safety awareness, lack of maintenance and lack of planning.

As with all infrastructure here in Thailand, roads, water, electricity, telecom, etc. there is no relation between the capacity and the load it has to support.

• Like 2

Drove past this 3 times yesterday taking my son to and from school. On all 3 occasions there were people everywhere, cable everywhere and no sign of safety. The 4th time I was diverted and I'm not surprised only one person died. This place just has no idea about workplace safety.

• Like 2

Not surprised. Judging from the True internet speeds in the dark side the whole system is put together with duct tape and super glue.

come on, duct tape and super glue?, more like packing tape and clag.

rip to the guy, probably supporting a family, hope true pay decent compensation!

i'd say many of those poles are being held up only by the mess of cables.

• Like 1

The concrete poles are not up to the high tech wizardry hanging from them.

I'd only been in Chiang Mai a few weeks, when a strong gust of wind roared down the street in front of heavy rain.

A whole row of these concrete poles were bowled over, taking hundreds of cables and a transformer with them. The cables were so dense that they acted like a sail.

• Like 1

With so many utilities using the same poles, I assume the original provider is reluctant to replace them.

I seem to recall seeing many with big cracks and missing concrete with sections just held together with the the re-barb, presume they are not regularly inspected and workers are not taught "risk assessment"

is there anything erected, sold, built here that meets any standard other than thai standards? very few seem to have a clue what theyre doing and others pay with their life

Central Festival here in Pattaya seems quite well built - I certainly dont wander around the basement food court thinking 'OMG - there are another 40 floors of the Hilton Hotel on top of the 5th floor of this shopping centre !'. It's the public infrastructure - and BKK is even worse IMO - that will increasingly let Pattaya down. When you see the swamp that still sits next to the View Talay condo complex adjacent to Central it's obvious that the architects and engineers had their work cut out for them.

Warned... but went up the ladder anyways...

I only wonder if this were the same poll that he had strung 50 or so wires on before.

One is beggared.

Again, its the inherent belief that 'if my number's up, my number's up'. This seems ingrained from a very young age right across SEA.

13.jpg

• Like 1

Warned... but went up the ladder anyways...

I only wonder if this were the same poll that he had strung 50 or so wires on before.

One is beggared.

Again, its the inherent belief that 'if my number's up, my number's up'. This seems ingrained from a very young age right across SEA.

13.jpg

My dad taught me to weld when I was 10...

those poles are sometimes haning / leaning over so dangerously

but thainess forbid to do something about that, till it collaps

"Thainess", that's a new word, original, let's see it used more often.

The government started that word, TV members are just having

fun running with the ball..... :-)

I have an end of line concrete pole in front of my house with a precarious bend in it.

When True came to connect my internet/TV cable the guy climbed up it without fear while I hid in the house unable to look.

Sad for this guy, my Mrs told me of it yesterday.

Edited by jacko45k