Bread making machine

johnmcedinghburg

If you are intrested in an breadmaker, Then go to THE verasu site.

Just purchased an bread maker of them for 4080thb what is included delivery.

Great machine we purchased THE HOM-206402 what is an offer at this moment.

Over 1000thb saving compared to yok.

I think THE most economical breadmaker you Will find.

Pay online and 3 days later you got your first own bread

How much do you estimate it costs to make a loaf? Say a bog standard white loaf. Not bothered about the electric costs just the ingredients. Rough cost is OK. I wouldn't mind a bread making machine but it might be better to let Yamazaki do the baking.

• Like 1

I've been wondering the same myself - I just buy what I need without looking at the price. Last year I discovered the no knead way of making bread and am a confirmed devotee. I wish I'd know about it years ago; just put flour, sugar, yeast and water in a bowl and leave it for 24 hours or so than bake. It's some of the best bread I've ever made.

• Like 1

The cost of your bread depends on the ingredients you buy for it, if you use plain flour from the supermarket it's cheap.

But if you go for more quality ingredients and different types of flour and whole wheat, linseed, oats, whatever the choices are endless and you can make it as expensive as you want.

I don't use a bread machine as I like to do different types of bread, no way you can get a baguette from a bread machine.

Best results I get with high moisture dough mixture and stretch and fold technique.

A good source for supplies is Schmidt http://www.choco-schmidt.com/index.php

They have shops in several places in Thailand.

How much do you estimate it costs to make a loaf? Say a bog standard white loaf. Not bothered about the electric costs just the ingredients. Rough cost is OK. I wouldn't mind a bread making machine but it might be better to let Yamazaki do the baking.

I did a calculation on the bread recipe I bake and the ingredients I buy from Makro and it works out at +- B 20 per loaf.

• Like 2

The kids love waking up to the smell of fresh bread (I have my machine on a timer) before school

Flour is not an issue, but good yeast has been very hard to get.... They have one brand in Rimping that I have had not much success with and I had to ask a buddy in Patts to keep an eye out for yeast and send it to me for testing....

Once I have all that done, I will let the kids concoct their own bread recipes.... Let the fun begin!

I am a bread maker here in Chiang Mai. Been making it now for three years. Why you ask?........Because the bread that is made at Ringping Big C or Makro, just isn't flavorful. When they cut the loaf in slices, its just a wee bit thin. Don't they realize if they cut the bread maybe 1/8th of an inch wider, the consumer will use up the bread faster, and..... wala, more bread will be sold.......more $$$. And some of the concoctions they make. Hotdogs rolled in dough and baked. bread with yummy gum bears bits. Green colored bread.....deep yellow colored bread,....and lets not forget those pizza's, they looks pretty until you take a bite from one.....Mayonnaise. Not the cheeses you expected! But Ringping near the Airport in Chiang Mai has the best bread by far.

i can make a plain loaf of bread in my bread machine for 15-16 baht (not counting the cost of the machine & electricity). however i only use it for the kneading/proofing/rises--it has way more patience than i do. i finish final shaping/kneading myself & then into the oven. i only ever use the full knead/bake cycle for bread that no one will ever see (like stuffing,etc.), the severin model i have (also verasu) leaves an ugly anus in the bread loaf. i also use it for pizza, rolls, & baguettes.

• Like 1

To make a 1 kilo loaf costs less than 40bht.. i sell loads of the stuff in my shop.

Thai's love it.

• Like 1

I usually prefer to make my bread in the machine. Lots less work. Making a good tasting French-tasting bread isn't rocket science; it's flour, water, sugar, salt, and yeast. No need to prove how good I can knead bread. I don't care for the harder crusts of the thin baguettes, so the machine is perfect for me. It also frees up my oven for other cooking taskes.

I don't use the timer function as I don't like eating fresh bread in the morning. I prefer it at dinner time. I DO use a timer, though, but for a different reason... At exactly 2:45 minutes into the cycle, when the paddles stop for the last time, I remove them before the dough starts to rise. This accomplishes two goals; It allows the loaf to just gently fall out of the pan when the cooking is done, and there are no gaping holes in the bottom so that If I choose to slice the bread for sandwiches the next day, I don't lose part of the loaf because the lower half is damaged.

• Like 1

Bread machine: you dump in the water, oil, sugar, salt and yeast and let it do its thing. Except for plain ordinary white bread, I only use it for kneading these days, after 90 minutes I do things to the resulting mix and stick it in the oven (foccacia, pizza, crumpets, baguettes, whatever). I could never understand the mystique behind kneading dough by hand.

Yeast: how can you get 'bad' yeast? her it works or it doesn't. I use instant yeast that I no longer even bother to keep in the fridge. You can make your own live yeast culture if you want, but I don't really taste much difference.

• Like 2

Strong plain flour is 32bht/kg = 4 small loaves (4x 500g).

Yeast is 100bht for 500gm, about 10gm per loaf = 50 loaves.

(YOK for the supplies)

10bht/loaf.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Well you don't just pay for the bread... Having fresh bread baked and warm in the morning is something worth paying a little more for. Yes it will never be the 37b from 7-11 cost, but actually budget around 60b a loaf with flour, yeast, sugar etc.. Set the timer and you can wake up with fresh bread each morning. As you are also paying more, I think people make sure they finish it. I like my bread a little more doughy then the paper bread from 7-11 so I am happy to pay the extra. Also adding some fruit, or cheese...

Sorry guys if you have to worry about the cost of making the bread, don't buy a breadmaker as it won't save you money, but if you want an experience without getting your hands covered in dough and muscles like Popeye from the kneading then go for a breadmaker.

Hope that helps.

Agreed. For me, I used a breadmaker 25 years ago, when they first came out. It had a timer function on it, so I would toss in all the ingredients the night before, and it would start working at about 3am. At 5 or 6 am, the alarm would go off, and I can assure you...the smell of the bread got me out of bed before the alarm did. It was not bad bread at all. I had a coffee maker, and set that the night before as well. Fresh coffee and fresh bread with homemade baked ham and eggs.....before 12 hours of military related work.

Now I just buy a loaf at Rimpings, and rub olive oil on it before tossing it into an oven for five minutes. Just like fresh baked.

Edited by slipperylobster

A loaf of 500g full grain bread does cost me 25 THB. 23THB for the flour, 2 THB for yeast, water, salt and oil.

• Like 1

Our kitchen comes with an oven. Therefore no bread making machine needed.

You only need to mix and fold the ingredients by hand, let it sleep, repeat the steps and then into the oven.

We achieve good results, i.e. fresh bread that smells wonderful.

Costs roughly estimated for a loaf approx. B30-40.

I've owned a variety of bread-making machines over the years, both here and back in the UK, and have finally settled on (I reckon) the Rolls-Royce of them all - a Panasonic SD-ZB2502 - which a mate very kindly ferried over here for me!

After all that, I now use the machine almost exclusively for dough-making so that I can decide on the final shape/size etc. before baking in my gas BBQ, which is now a daily routine.

For convenience, I divide the batch of finished dough into whatever amounts I think I'll need for loaves, rolls, baps etc., cling film and then freeze them.

Defrosting and final rise takes about 4hrs from frozen and the end result is as good as using fresh dough.

My Thai wife and family are now total converts to the delights of freshly baked bread, I'm pleased to say!

what ever the cost it is worth it used one for years, put it on a timer and waking up to the smell of baked bread in the morning is wonderful. :-)
  • Like 1

I am a bread maker here in Chiang Mai. Been making it now for three years. Why you ask?........Because the bread that is made at Ringping Big C or Makro, just isn't flavorful. When they cut the loaf in slices, its just a wee bit thin. Don't they realize if they cut the bread maybe 1/8th of an inch wider, the consumer will use up the bread faster, and..... wala, more bread will be sold.......more $$$. And some of the concoctions they make. Hotdogs rolled in dough and baked. bread with yummy gum bears bits. Green colored bread.....deep yellow colored bread,....and lets not forget those pizza's, they looks pretty until you take a bite from one.....Mayonnaise. Not the cheeses you expected! But Ringping near the Airport in Chiang Mai has the best bread by far.

I like the Japanese bakery at Chiang Mai gate, the UN Irish bar is not too bad, as is some of the bread from Kaseem. The reason I started making my own is that the bread here (apart from the 3 mentioned) is too sweet. You have to have sugar to make bread, but only enough for the yeast to fatten itself up on, you shouldn't be able to taste it. If it's not convenient to go to one of the good places, I make it myself. My mother-in-law gave me a bread making machine last year that she'd used once and put in a cupboard. I knew I wouldn't use it for baking, but thought it would take away the hard work of kneading so I lugged it back from England; used it once and discovered no knead breadmaking, so I only use it if I forget to set the mix on ferment the day before I use it.

I remember reading a lot of years ago that doctors were saying on of the main reasons women were putting a lot of belly fat on is that they no longer bake their own bread. I can believe this, as it's a good work-out if you do it properly. I offer no excuse; I'm lazy.

• Like 1

I like the Japanese bakery at Chiang Mai gate, the UN Irish bar is not too bad, as is some of the bread from Kaseem. The reason I started making my own is that the bread here (apart from the 3 mentioned) is too sweet. You have to have sugar to make bread, but only enough for the yeast to fatten itself up on, you shouldn't be able to taste it. If it's not convenient to go to one of the good places, I make it myself. My mother-in-law gave me a bread making machine last year that she'd used once and put in a cupboard. I knew I wouldn't use it for baking, but thought it would take away the hard work of kneading so I lugged it back from England; used it once and discovered no knead breadmaking, so I only use it if I forget to set the mix on ferment the day before I use it.

No need for any sugar, modern yeast doesn't need it.

Fermiplan Red specifically designed for use with no sugar.

(the blurb says limited sugar, but in reality none at all works perfectly well)

Most of the yeast manufacturers produce their yeasts in two versions, with sugar, without limited sugar.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Well, lots of reactions, But i know what is in my bread so no chemical stuff to keep THE bread good for days. I bake, slice THE bread and freeze iT and take out my Nice tasting bread.

This is a very good reason for baking your own bread, you can actually make it healthy and chemical free.