Canadian on the lam in Wisconsin fraud case captured in Thailand

webfact

Canadian on the lam in Wisconsin fraud case captured in Thailand

can.jpg
Source: Internet

MILWAUKEE: -- A Canadian man on the run for the past decade after being charged with defrauding investors out of $800,000 was arrested in Bangkok, Thailand over the weekend.

Antonius Ceulen, who was charged in 2005 with racketeering, is in custody in Bangkok and facing extradition, according to Douglas Bachert, a supervisor in the Milwaukee office of the U.S. Marshals Service. He was arrested by the Thailand Immigration Police following a 10-year investigation involving the marshals, Waukesha County authorities, the state Department of Financial Institutions and the U.S. State Department.

He was believed to be in Thailand when he was charged by the Waukesha County district attorney's office. Terry Cattell, who authorities say worked with Ceulen in the scheme, was arrested in Hong Kong in 2001 and was extradited the following year. In 2003 he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Although there is a six-year statute of limitation for racketeering, time when the defendant "is not publicly a resident" of Wisconsin is not counted in the calculation, according to an affidavit filed last year by Attorney General Brad Schimel, who was the Waukesha County district attorney at the time. Ceulen faces a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

Full story: http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/canadian-on-the-lam-in-wisconsin-fraud-case-nabbed-in-thailand-b99460216z1-295923701.html

-- JOURNAL SENTINAL 2015-03-12

The years haven't been kind to him now, have they? biggrin.png

He was charged in 2005 his buddy was caught in 2001 so we can assume the fraud took place in the 90s. He was not caught so the old pic must be before all this possibly in the 80s

I pity the people whose money he stole.

Also regarding any statute of limitations,

"time when the defendant "is not publicly a resident" of Wisconsin is not counted in the calculation,"

When did this get slipped into the law?

So when do we see activity in arresting the local based foreign fraudsters involved in assorted financial scams?

Good to see that the statute of limitations does not include time spent out of the state ("is not publicly a resident" ) and I presume the country in this case (the U.S.A.)

Might well be a wise move if such a legal stipulation was also applied to Thailand to stop those who have committed crimes in the past from returning and in many cases benefiting from their ill gotten gains financially and politically.

• Like 2

Is Mr Antonius Ceulen an American or Canadian?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807494-american-fugitive-arrested-in-bangkok/

"MILWAUKEE: -- A Canadian man on the run for the past decade after being charged with defrauding investors out of $800,000 was arrested in Bangkok, Thailand over the weekend.
Antonius Ceulen, who was charged in 2005 with racketeering, is in custody in Bangkok"

------------------------------____________________________---------------------------------------------

"Bangkok: Immigration police have arrested a 60-year-old American who is wanted under a US court’s arrest warrant for having allegedly cheated at least 12 Americans.

The arrest of Antonius "Antony" W Ceulen was announced at a press conference at the Immigration Bureau"

• Like 1

'Seems like a flurry of arrests like this lately - foreign criminals lost & found in Thailand. I wonder if the current government is trying to validate itself internationally by more eagerly partnering in these manhunts (not that that would be by any means a bad thing). Or maybe just coincidence. Or maybe just a spike in what's getting reported at the moment. Who knows?

'Never heard of that thing about the statute of limitations not applying during residence elsewhere... 'Sounds like the kind of thing defense lawyers will try hard to make something out of though...

Edited by hawker9000

I thought the years were very kind to me (this is absolutely true) until I got my first pair of glasses after a proper eye test....I was shocked the first time I looked in the mirror up close when I got home....I barley recognized the old guy looking back at me....... Also, the years of being called "handsome man" must have sub-conscientiously being having their effect. I even admire these ladies more now for being able to keep a "straight face" whilst lavishing their praises on me.

PS. I'm still uncomfortable wearing them while shaving. The years of looking at myself through "rose tinted" glasses have well and truly gone. The positive however is being able to see all the beauty around me more vividly from small insects, through flowers and up to the magnificence of great big beautiful towering trees.

Maybe you 'barley recognized the old guy looking back at [you]' because you had too much beer, nothing to do with the glasses ?

• Like 1

This is not a secrete that Thailand is a huge magnate for many unsavory caricatures, been like this

for many yeast, and the magnitude of the fugitives hiding here is enormous...

Thailand... a sunny place for a shady people....

Yes, absolutely.

Thailand is a paradise for criminals and fugitives from all over the world hiding from the law.

I believe some 30% of foreigners who live in Thailand are not law abiding persons, are them?

Having lived in Thailand for more than 7 years I prefer to stay away from foreigners who live in Thailand, you never know.

You must be very careful. lock.gif

• Like 2

I thought the years were very kind to me (this is absolutely true) until I got my first pair of glasses after a proper eye test....I was shocked the first time I looked in the mirror up close when I got home....I barley recognized the old guy looking back at me....... Also, the years of being called "handsome man" must have sub-conscientiously being having their effect. I even admire these ladies more now for being able to keep a "straight face" whilst lavishing their praises on me.

PS. I'm still uncomfortable wearing them while shaving. The years of looking at myself through "rose tinted" glasses have well and truly gone. The positive however is being able to see all the beauty around me more vividly from small insects, through flowers and up to the magnificence of great big beautiful towering trees.

Maybe you 'barley recognized the old guy looking back at [you]' because you had too much beer, nothing to do with the glasses ?

Too many "glasses" of beer?

• Like 1

-snip-

'Never heard of that thing about the statute of limitations not applying during residence elsewhere... 'Sounds like the kind of thing defense lawyers will try hard to make something out of though...

Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution prohibits the use of Ex Post Facto laws - getting someone on a law that didn't exist when a crime was committed.

So we can be sure that this (federal) law was in place before he committed these crimes.

This is not a secrete that Thailand is a huge magnate for many unsavory caricatures, been like this

for many yeast, and the magnitude of the fugitives hiding here is enormous...

Thailand... a sunny place for a shady people....

Yes, absolutely.

Thailand is a paradise for criminals and fugitives from all over the world hiding from the law.

I believe some 30% of foreigners who live in Thailand are not law abiding persons, are them?

Having lived in Thailand for more than 7 years I prefer to stay away from foreigners who live in Thailand, you never know.

You must be very careful. lock.gif

And on what do you base those 30 %.....???...that would mean 1 in 3 farangs I know would be a criminal...!!...not likely M8.

by the way you live here so, there34 is a 1 in 3 chance you could be a criminal !!

• Like 2

So, next in line will be all the Goldman Sachs fraudsters then, right? Don't think so...

As the old saying goes. Steal a cow and hang; steal a herd and they will negotiate with you...

do you ever stop complaining ? sheeeeeesh. ..sound like a old lady. but that is just my thoughts :-)

Is Mr Antonius Ceulen an American or Canadian?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807494-american-fugitive-arrested-in-bangkok/

"MILWAUKEE: -- A Canadian man on the run for the past decade after being charged with defrauding investors out of $800,000 was arrested in Bangkok, Thailand over the weekend.

Antonius Ceulen, who was charged in 2005 with racketeering, is in custody in Bangkok"

------------------------------____________________________---------------------------------------------

"Bangkok: Immigration police have arrested a 60-year-old American who is wanted under a US court’s arrest warrant for having allegedly cheated at least 12 Americans.

The arrest of Antonius "Antony" W Ceulen was announced at a press conference at the Immigration Bureau"

RC...the guy has to be an American.

Have a look at the US Marshalls website (post 17) and scroll

down a bit until you read...

"LIVES OPENLY, LOUDLY AND FREELY TRAVELS IN THAILAND"

Canadians usually aren't living loudly!

I wonder if he's quieted down now......hmmmmm.

• Like 1

First an American fraud scheme, now a Canadian captured. Thailand seems to be doing quite well capturing wanted fugitives on the run,

and ending up here in Thailand. Is Thailand becoming not only the NO.1 place for tourist, but fugitives as well? I hope Cuba opens up a little faster

so that they can use that location rather than Thailand. I get the feeling sometime, the locals look at me and wonder if I might be some one on the run!