Thailand Expected to Control Northeast Railway Project

Jacob Maslow

The more I think about it the more absurd the idea of a 'Bullet Train to Pattaya or Hua Hin becomes. Even if they had the money to do it.....WHY?

Hua Lamphong station to Pattaya no stops. Using existing Right Of Way. Depending on tourist traffic, FAIL! Starts in the wrong place. Competes with cheap buses that run DIRECT from the airport.

Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya no stops. Creating new ROW. Depending on tourist traffic. No local traffic. FAIL! Again competes with cheap buses. Tourist numbers insufficient to make a profit.

The truth is a light rail project that has multiple stops and is patronised by local people as well as tourists would struggle to make money. But a light railway is limited to the speed of a bus so where would be the point. Ok, it's a bit less traffic on the motorway but that's it!

And once this train gets to Pattaya.....where do the passengers alight? At the existing station miles from the centre of Pattaya or downtown? If it's downtown where? Underground is probably the only option. An underground station at sea level in an area where heavy rain overflows the existing drains every year.....

I think this maybe a case of 'EAR", as in new friend's in China have been in the PM's ear about how wonderful it would be for the million's of Chinese visitors to travel on a Bullet train to their chosen holiday destination.

We all have at least one weakness. Mine is I love sweet things. Even ex-military men can have a weakness. Maybe the idea of a 'Bullet train' is the PM's weakness, something he dreams about at night.

But his dream could cost the people of Thailand a huge sum of money every year, year after year after year. Can the PM not see a down side?