On-line degrees...

Thinking of doing a B.Ed online with Ashworth Uni in the US. Does anyone have one or any info whether TCT will give a full teaching license once completed ???... I've also heard whispers of on-line degrees not being accepted in the future and only degrees from your home country to be accepted (I'm from the UK)..

It's not regionally accredited in the states, I would avoid it. It has some national online accreditation, which is the first time I've heard of that body. Without the uni being accredited by the Southern whatever body, I wouldn't bother.

Best bet for an online degree is one that is offered via a traditional brick-and-mortar state university. In essence, a program from a university that isn't typically associated with online learning.

• Like 1

Jb300. Open university don't do a B.Ed unfortunately.. I found a perfect one at the Malaysian Open university. But unfortunately you have to be Malaysian or an expat residing in Malaysia.. damn

pity as it's perfect for many here in Thailand!

http://www.oum.edu.my/v3/index.php/news/article/view/14/70

Maybe if enough people enquired about it they would make it available. Might be worth emailing the coordinator!

• Like 2

........Beware the "Get your Degree On-line industry".....no better than the Nigerian email scammers

..and yes.... there are perfectly legit Universities offering Online Degrees....

but bore down and look/research carefully...before parting with any money

good luck

• Like 1

University of Phoenix is a U.S. based fully accredited online university.

www.phoenix.edu

They do have a College of Education: http://www.phoenix.edu/colleges_divisions/education.html

However, it requires US citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card) status for admission. I think that will be the case for all US based schools.

University in Phoenix has some significant issues. Check into them before considering them.

I think that the University of Sheffield in the UK offers distance-learning degrees in teaching English and they may offer some education degrees as well. Another option would be US universities such as USC that offer distance-learning degrees but require a few months of study-in-residence to qualify. Check out usc.edu and look under the School of Education. I did my degree there in the early 70's but all of my study was in residence. They've eased the requirements since then and you ddon't need to be a US citizen to study there. Good luck!

It's not regionally accredited in the states, I would avoid it. It has some national online accreditation, which is the first time I've heard of that body. Without the uni being accredited by the Southern whatever body, I wouldn't bother.

Best bet for an online degree is one that is offered via a traditional brick-and-mortar state university. In essence, a program from a university that isn't typically associated with online learning.

Where did you get that information Aaron?

Ashford University is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001, www.wascsenior.org. WSCUC is a regional accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). http://www.ashford.edu/about/accreditations_and_associations.htm

Ashford University is listed as school number 181 on the WASC accreditation list http://www.acswasc.org/

Sorry, needed to add citations

Edited by smotherb

I can safely say that it is accepted (for now...not sure about the future) as I am a teacher in BKK that took the same Ashworth degree program that your asking about. I have a work permit and a 1 year Non-B visa. I didn't even receive the actual paper degree before I left home to come here, but when your finished the BS program you can simply request your "Official" transcripts and that was all I needed to get everything I have now.

Ashworth is nationally accredited by the US Department of Education and when the Ministry here in Thailand checked out my paperwork they were fine with it.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/InstAccrDetails.aspx?756e697469643d3138343030312663616d70757349643d30267264743d332f31322f3230313520393a33353a303320504d

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know....seeing as I went though both the Ashworth and visa/work permit experience first hand.

Cheers!

• Like 2

I can safely say that it is accepted (for now...not sure about the future) as I am a teacher in BKK that took the same Ashworth degree program that your asking about. I have a work permit and a 1 year Non-B visa. I didn't even receive the actual paper degree before I left home to come here, but when your finished the BS program you can simply request your "Official" transcripts and that was all I needed to get everything I have now.

Ashworth is nationally accredited by the US Department of Education and when the Ministry here in Thailand checked out my paperwork they were fine with it.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/InstAccrDetails.aspx?756e697469643d3138343030312663616d70757349643d30267264743d332f31322f3230313520393a33353a303320504d

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know....seeing as I went though both the Ashworth and visa/work permit experience first hand.

Cheers!

Did you get the full 5 year teaching license????

Cheers!

I haven't even looked into the 5 year teaching license yet as it doesn't seem to be much of a requirement here. It may depend on the school. I work at a well established private school and they have never asked about it. I would assume it would be a good thing to have your degree in education from an accredited school....after that I really don't know much about the 5 year teaching license.

Cheers!

I haven't even looked into the 5 year teaching license yet as it doesn't seem to be much of a requirement here. It may depend on the school. I work at a well established private school and they have never asked about it. I would assume it would be a good thing to have your degree in education from an accredited school....after that I really don't know much about the 5 year teaching license.

You are currently teaching on a teaching waiver in lieu of a teachers license. If you have a B.Ed then you can get the 5 year Thai teaching license especially if you intend staying!

Yeah for the 5 year full licence, you just need a BEdu + attend a Thai Culture Course + have 1 year's experience teaching in Thailand (Obtained while on a provisional/temporary teaching licence, which is slightly different to the one which regular degree holders get, but essentially the same).

So you should probably look into doing your Thai culture course so that you can get your full licence.

*That's based on info from about a year or two ago, I assume it hasn't changed, but you never know lol.

• Like 1

I posted the link to harvard / harvard affiliated online programs not to be funny but if you get a degree from there politically it will open MANY DOORS and help your future. seems most of the online programs are not cheap so get some clout with the name.

another decent one is regents external degree program from new york state public universities parent university now called http://www.excelsior.edu/

very solid reputation as i know some grads that have done well.

Yeah for the 5 year full licence, you just need a BEdu + attend a Thai Culture Course + have 1 year's experience teaching in Thailand (Obtained while on a provisional/temporary teaching licence, which is slightly different to the one which regular degree holders get, but essentially the same).

So you should probably look into doing your Thai culture course so that you can get your full licence.

*That's based on info from about a year or two ago, I assume it hasn't changed, but you never know lol.

Would that allow me to teach real Germish. without a degree in an educational field?

Thanks a lot in advice for your sincere answer,

BTW, are you still on your honeymoon? Sorry, didn't mean to question your private life. wai2.gif

I'm back in Roiet and am planning on returning to teach at the same school in May.

Although they've mentioned a camp later this month, and there might be a few more coming up as well (But we're expecting our baby this/next, so I might just wait til May before I start picking up extra work).

Ashford University is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001, www.wascsenior.org. WSCUC is a regional accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). http://www.ashford.edu/about/accreditations_and_associations.htm

Ashford University is listed as school number 181 on the WASC accreditation list http://www.acswasc.org/

Oops my mistake, I was looking at Ashworth College! =)

Oops my mistake, I was looking at Ashworth College! =)

Is Ashwoth College not accredited?? That was actually the place i meant in the OP .. Didn't realise there were two..

Cheers!

Was that with Ashworth college or uni???