German tourist’s suicide jump at Suvanarbhumi airport

Thaivisa News

he was alerted of the jump right after it happened and informed the Samitivej Hospital to rush an emergency medical team to the scene

Doesn't bode well for travelers that there is apparently no emergency medical team available at the this supposed international hub of aviation. ermm.gif

What's the response time from Samitivej to the airport?

There are at least three Samitivej hospitals - one at the airport.

They have medical facilities on the lower floor - so I guess this is what was meant in the report.

• Like 1

he was alerted of the jump right after it happened and informed the Samitivej Hospital to rush an emergency medical team to the scene

Doesn't bode well for travelers that there is apparently no emergency medical team available at the this supposed international hub of aviation. ermm.gif

Let me go one step further. They obviously have to have an emergency team there, just in case there's an issue with a potential aircraft mishap. With this being the case, there's no onsite emergency crew, paramedic at least, that could have been called in instead of calling in someone from the city. That's seriously F'd up. What Intl airport that is one of the major hubs in Asia that cannot accommodate this.

As mentioned above - Samitivej has a small hospital at the airport - but don't let the facts get in the way of your knee-jerk Thai bashing.

But I doubt any airport will have the facilities for serious head trauma based at the terminal - the local unit will be more for illness amongst travelers and first aid.

Very sad incident though - for the man himself and the medical crew who needed attend.

• Like 1

soon foreigners will only be allowed to walk at ground level at the airport and be allowed to live on first floor condominiums, strange why people come to Thailand to kill themselves can they not just do it at home.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Poor Man, we never know what goes on in Peoples Minds..

Indeed, and we never know how disrespectful some people can be

of other's tragedies. Here is the clip of the poor man jumping.

The sound that follows his action is disgusting, like it is funny xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0QtCbTr9O

Edited by doremifasol

Very sad when people do this. How desperate must someone be to end it all like this?

And 3 to 4 a year from the same spot? Maybe the need higher railings or box them in.

Rip , agree with that , some kind of safety is missing there , and at a lot more high up points around the world , if someone is determined to take their life they will find a way , at least they could make the well known spots safer

Let me go one step further. They obviously have to have an emergency team there, just in case there's an issue with a potential aircraft mishap. With this being the case, there's no onsite emergency crew, paramedic at least, that could have been called in instead of calling in someone from the city. That's seriously F'd up. What Intl airport that is one of the major hubs in Asia that cannot accommodate this.

I thought they showed the onsite emergency medical crew for passengers in the terminals on that terrible BBC/ITV/some sort of UK channel documentary on Bangkok airports.

Edited by Bluespunk

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

3-4 a year on same spot, sound suppernaturel, something about that place , like the bridge in scotland or england where the dogs always jump off.

need to be investigated, not by the thai police offcourse

Soon they will have to collect a jumpers cleanup fee to be paid in advance but in the currency of the jumpers choice.

RIP.

Edited by Jimbolai

The jumper never contemplated what kind of trauma onlookers will have for many years to come. Why do they have to do their selfish act in such a public place? I know they probably have lost the will to live through extremely sad circumstances, but the majority of us have chosen to die of natural causes many years from now.

Totally agree - especially any family with young kids witnessing this. Selfish

Thanks, I never considered suicide "selfish"

Tragic maybe, foolish, unwarranted, but selfish?

<deleted>

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.
  • Like 1

soon foreigners will only be allowed to walk at ground level at the airport and be allowed to live on first floor condominiums, strange why people come to Thailand to kill themselves can they not just do it at home.

Because they find Thailand a more suitable location to do the deed. When they find the geographical cure didn't work very well..The question is why?

Signed,

Stating the obvious

There are prayer rooms, Info Desks and such things at airports. How about a 'Counseling Room' for distraught people? It may not help all troubled folks, but perhaps a few.

Also, I agree that, the method used for a suicide, can traumatize others. What if some kids were walking along, on the pavement below and saw or were hit by the jumper? Come on guys. If you're going to pull the plug, that's sad, but don't traumatize others in the process.

Like they're thinking of the kids that may see the aftermath in their moment of supreme grief..

<deleted> plus one

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

Why do this at an airport? Are they that sad to be leaving?

probably,yes..South east asia(aka thai fever) can get in a man's blood and its usually when the money runs out that these things happen.

Hotel california(you can check out any time but you can never leave) comes to mind.

It can happen to anyone.

The jumper never contemplated what kind of trauma onlookers will have for many years to come. Why do they have to do their selfish act in such a public place? I know they probably have lost the will to live through extremely sad circumstances, but the majority of us have chosen to die of natural causes many years from now.

Totally agree - especially any family with young kids witnessing this. Selfish

Thanks, I never considered suicide "selfish"

Tragic maybe, foolish, unwarranted, but selfish?

<deleted>

Selfish because it leaves family and friends grieving, perhaps blaming themselves that they did not notice, or do something to stop it. It harms the ones left behind. Is this not selfish of someone committing suicide not to think of others?

if they were thinking of others, they wouldn't be jumping 99% of the time

• Like 1

Poor man.....he could make it to the airport but not back home.....

My thoughts are with his family

RIP

How can your thoughts be with people you don't know and have no idea about?- sentimental twaddle.

It's called compassion (or you might also call it empathy or sympathy). It's one of the finer human sentiments. So why knock it?

[And is that the prophet as your avatar - just curious]

• Like 1

Indeed, and we never know how disrespectful some people can be

of other's tragedies. Here is the clip of the poor man jumping.

The sound that follows his action is disgusting, like it is funny xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0QtCbTr9O

What is the source of this video.

If not a security camera capture then what are the circumstances chances of this being randomly captured by a bystander?

Samitivej are one of the providers of medical services within the airport - so response time should have been minutes

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/176

Especially if someone is mentally ill.

Many mentally ill people commit suicide as a result of severe depression.

There are more people around us with various mental disorders than we might think.

In most cases they look like normal people.

• Like 1

It's a deadly cocktail that happens over here. Thailand attracts more than it's fair share of struggling people: men coming out of a failed marriage, men who have found themselves unemployed and unemployable, men who have never really been able to make a go of it back home. They arrive dreaming of a land of friendly, young and beautiful women, sunny beaches, welcoming locals. They may even be convinced in their first few weeks or months that their dream has come true, that they've made their escape to paradise. But no place can meet such unrealistic expectations, and they end up disconsolate and devastated ... they if their dream of paradise turned out to be a mirage and there's nothing left at home, where else to go? Many of them have probably left their friends behind, maybe even burned their bridges, and find themselves themselves alone in an alien land (I wonder how many have really even experienced drastically different cultures before they come here). So it's not surprising that we read of these things week after week, though sad nonetheless.

• Like 1

Enlighten me, please.

From where do you get the power to choose to die of natural causes many years from now?

Most of us hang in there for as long as we can. Choice doesn't come into it.

depression is common place with Germans... that is why St. John's Wort is so popular there.

having to go back in March with the overcast and cold...

who knows how long this guy was sitting on the beach in Thailand... maybe on a island. And then to go back to the world? Maybe it was too much for him...

"outbound passenger terminal at the rate of three or four suicides each year."

is it because they don't want to leave or are worried of what they face

when they get back to their country.

bye bye Thai beauty,, hello nagging wife.

maybe now is a good time to invest in cotton wool,, will the Thais

cotton wool everything,, maybe not

3-4 a year on same spot, sound suppernaturel, something about that place , like the bridge in scotland or england where the dogs always jump off.

need to be investigated, not by the thai police offcourse

Do start your own...no need to keep us informed.

At the very least we're lucky to have CCTV footage to spare us a 50 page surely he was murdered conspiracy thread. Just got my Pattaya place wired all around inside out Sliver style by the friendly folks over at Prosecure so there will be no doubt here either if my businesses one day founder.

smile.png