Thai universities not recognised in worldwide ranking of institutes

webfact

Thai universities not recognised in worldwide ranking of institutes
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- NO THAI university made it to the Times Higher Education's (THE) World Reputation Rankings 2015, reflecting the fact that the Kingdom's tertiary education institutes do not yet enjoy solid recognition in the international academic community.

The lack of Thai academic research papers in English is possibly a factor.

THE uses the world's largest invitation-only survey of academics when compiling the rankings.

The survey in 15 languages was sent to over 10,500 respected academics in 142 countries.

"Each one can nominate no more than 10 institutions that, in their expert opinion, they believe to be performing the most strongly for teaching and research," said Phil Baty, editor of the rankings.

Speaking to The Nation via email, Baty said Thai higher-learning institutes had not received enough nominations to sit among the world's most prestigious varsities.

"There is no way of knowing why this is happening," Baty said.

However, he said many of the institutions that did not feature in the World Reputation Rankings also received poor scores for international outlook in the Times Higher Education's main World University Rankings, published in every October, and based on 13 performance criteria.

He said that meant they were not attracting enough international students or |staff, collaborating with overseas universities enough, or publishing enough research papers in English - "the global language".

He also said that the only way for a university to improve its world reputation ranking was to ensure that "scholars across the world recognise you as an excellent teaching and research institution".

Released yesterday, the rankings identified the 100 most prestigious universities in the world.

In the first three places respectively are Harvard University (the United States), the University of Cambridge, and the University of Oxford (both the United Kingdom).

The most prestigious university from Asia is the University of Tokyo in 12th place, while the best Asean performer is the National University of Singapore (24th place).

Visit www.thewur.com for details.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-universities-not-recognised-in-worldwide-rank-30255921.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-13

Accepting qualified applicants, or more importantly refusing lesser qualified applicants is a big factor. Universities need money and students and their money, so there is always the pressure to let anybody in. Thai overall economics probably make for a smaller group of people available to go to universities so the pressure to accept less qualified candidates is probably pretty high in Thailand relative to other more developed and affluent Asian countries.

If there were more academic rigour. less multiple choice questions, stringent exams procedures and the culture of cheating was eradicated then some Thai universities just might see themselves in these rankings. There is a lot of work to do in the Thai education system at all levels. Having a system which has university places straight from school is a major issue with no tertiary education.

• Like 2

First off, no one in Thailand will give a crap. If a reporter had the balls to confront the MOE about this, no doubt there would another "miscommunication" of some sort and dismissed immediately.

This is changing since MOE allowed recognition of international schools.

The rich, and upper middle income groups are sending their children to schools with English programs or international schools, with the plan for tertiary education overseas, thus, bypassing local universities.

• Like 1

Lack of English publications and peer contacts no doubt lowers the chance of being recognized. But I think the bigger problem is the Thai culture. They just aren't mean enough to the students and they continually lower standards. Lots of people flunk out of USA colleges. Engineering and Technical majors lose a lot of people when they start getting to the hard stuff and 3rd or 4th semester calculus. There is little room for niceness.

the key word you used was "flunk"! I have never heard of a thai "flunking out of college"!

This is sooo Thai blame it on something else rather than taking a hard look at the real reason. It has nothing to do with English and everything to do with the level of education that is being doled out

One reason of course is not educating Thais to think out of the box. For a Thai to think out of the box is not acceptable. Unlike the USA or UK or JAPAN the innovator. Thais are followers not leaders. Sorry to say so but this is one of the problems in Thai society. Very few real leaders. This is one reason there are so many political problems in Thailand as well

• Like 2

This is sooo Thai blame it on something else rather than taking a hard look at the real reason. It has nothing to do with English and everything to do with the level of education that is being doled out

One reason of course is not educating Thais to think out of the box. For a Thai to think out of the box is not acceptable. Unlike the USA or UK or JAPAN the innovator. Thais are followers not leaders. Sorry to say so but this is one of the problems in Thai society. Very few real leaders. This is one reason there are so many political problems in Thailand as well

Nahhhh...there are Thais with overseas education and leadership qualities. But they also have the brains to avoid jobs that pay the same as food servers in Japan and Singapore.

Thus leaving those who look at indirect income as a reason to take on the jobs in government.

• Like 1

Lack of English publications and peer contacts no doubt lowers the chance of being recognized. But I think the bigger problem is the Thai culture. They just aren't mean enough to the students and they continually lower standards. Lots of people flunk out of USA colleges. Engineering and Technical majors lose a lot of people when they start getting to the hard stuff and 3rd or 4th semester calculus. There is little room for niceness.

Yep a third of my Engineering course didn't make it past the first year.

• Like 1

Not disagreeing with most of what has been said here. But the other factor is the nation has to want to compete for international recognition on lists like these and invest a lot of money in doing so. I was a prof at one of the universities in the top 25 on this list and was a department head at a time when the university administration made a conscious strategic decision to seek international prominence through these sorts of ranking lists (there are a lot of them). Some of the things they did 'overnight' was to improve infrastructure; some rankings will even look at WIFI coverage, journal holdings, etc. But the biggest thing they did was to go after well-established foreign researchers who could bring their research pipelines/labs to the university and continue to pump out papers with my university now as the affiliation. The result was a very fast move up the rankings. But my old department is now compromised mostly of foreigners. Fresh foreign PhDs are now also paid more than twice what a local PhD was paid before this strategic shift, and well-established academics are paid sums that were unheard of a few years ago. The financial investment required, as you can imagine, has been enormous.

Not sure that Thailand has the ability or willingness to pay these costs (both monetary and in terms of foreign domination). I can't see it being able to nurture the needed domestic talent any time soon.

• Like 2

Can't figure it out that is the reason.cheesy.gif Ok let me break down so even a dead person or a former prime minister can figure it out. You school system sucks stump water you pass student not based on them learning but because law states all student must be transferred to next grade level.I will give an example The head of BOT just figure that lower interest rates might maybe help in Exports. Need I say more? A farang last year and year before said the baht was over valued. So in 20 years they may figure it out. My granddaughter at age 6 is smart than 90% of your college students She knows the world is round and that Thailand is not at the center of it Nor is it a hub of anything but people all ways saying hub of this or that.

Edited by Strangebrew
  • Like 1