Motorcycle

davo2212

G'day all. Just wondering if this is possible?

Myself and a friend would like to ride to chiang mai from phuket over a 4 week period. Will we have to buy bikes? I am told by a friend that lives up north that there could be a problem with police going through so many provinces.

Thanks for any advice

Dave

yes you will need buy them an than resell

BUT to buy one i need be on a NON immigrant visa to get it in your name

plenty of used ones

You will be stopped at some point for sure but shouldn't be to much of a problem if the bike is in ur name and u have a license

The issue, I think, is not with the police, it's with whom you would rent a bike from. My experience is that rental shops on Phuket restrict you to that island. Were you to have a misfortune in Chiang Mai on a Phuket rental, it might be pricey.

What you suggest could theoretically work... There are bike rentors in Chiang mai who fully expect bikes to tour and leave the province. However for this usually you must know them, or leave a large deposit, or your passport..

The return of the bike and deposit / passport is your problem.. Its possible this could be done via post or shipping, but this will add a lot of cost and complexity.

If you are serious, and are talking about renting a big bike.. Contact Jeff or Duncan and Tonys big bikes and see if they can offer a solution.. They are good guys who bend over backwards to help people make the most of bike tours in the north.

If your talking a 200b a day scooter, please dont bother them.

What kind of bikes are you looking at renting/buying?

Some years ago my friend rented a small Honda Wave on Phuket and rode to Koh Samoi and back so it is/was possible to leave the island but are sure he told anybodywhistling.gif

For the buying option: With a 4 weeks window you don't have much time since you have to sell it/them again and that can take time unless your friend up north can sell them for you? It is possible in Pattaya buying a vehicle on tourist visa and a rental contract for a house/condo but again not very suitable for you.

Can your friend up north buy the bikes for you and then ship them down to Phuket when you arrives? Nah also not such a good idea, a lot of leg work for your friend.

Rent bikes on Phuket and see the sights on the island, rent a car where you can drop if off in CM and drive up there or fly. Then rent bikes up there again where there are awesome bike roads and you can explore up there instead.