Many in North coming down with respiratory problems

Lite Beer

Many in North coming down with respiratory problems

CHIANG MAI: -- Some 2,200 Chiang Mai residents have come down with respiratory problems very likely due to the ongoing smog problem.

"We believe their symptoms are related to haze and forest fires here," provincial deputy public health chief Surasing Wisaruthrat said Friday.

He said the number of patients with smog-related conditions was highest at Nakornping Hospital in Chiang Mai's Mae Rim district, which has treated some 589 such patients so far.

As of Friday morning, the amount of small particulate matter up to 10 microns in diameter (PM10) stood at 138 micrograms per cubic metre of air in downtown Chiang Mai. Safety limits require that the PM10 does not go past 120 micrograms.

Surasing has advised people to stay indoors and turn on their air conditioners if possible.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Many-in-North-coming-down-with-respiratory-problem-30255955.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-13

Like everyone, I agree that this is an issue that needs to be improved....and I do worry about the effects on the health of myself and my family.

Remember though, that the smog is a result of the burning of NATURAL materials (wood, crops and vegetation). I therefore wonder, too, if the effects are any more harmful than our daily (12 months a year) exposure to cigarette smoke, pollution from traffic exhaust fumes and 'acid rain' caused by remote industrial pollution.

Does the crop-burning make Chiang Mai a worse place to be than the continually polluted streets of Bangkok/London/New York, etc? I don't think so....

• Like 2

Many in North suffer as smog worsens
STANLEY BENNETT,
PATCHARIDA PONGSAPAPAS
THE NATION

30256002-01_big.JPG?1426286331239

2,200 CHIANG MAI LOCALS COME DOWN WITH HEALTH ISSUES

SOME 2,200 Chiang Mai residents have come down with respiratory problems very likely due to the ongoing smog problem.

"We believe their symptoms are related to haze and forest fires here," provincial deputy public health chief Surasing Wisaruthrat said yesterday.

He said the number of patients with smog-related conditions was highest at Nakornping Hospital in Chiang Mai's Mae Rim district, which has treated some 589 such patients so far.

As of yesterday morning, the amount of small particulate matter up to 10 microns in diameter (PM10) stood at 138 micrograms per cubic metre of air in downtown Chiang Mai. Safety limits require that the PM10 does not go past 120 micrograms. Surasing has advised people to stay indoors and turn on their air conditioners if possible.

"If you have to go outdoors, cover yourself well and wear facial masks," he said, adding that this air pollution could adversely affect the health of people, particularly children, the elderly and pregnant women.

"Those with chronic diseases may also develop acute symptoms when exposed to the polluted air," he said.

Boonchin Saomoon, who heads a cyclists club in Chiang Mai, said he had stopped his daily cycling due to the smog.

"I am worried that the pollution will affect my throat and lungs," he said. The smog is now affecting several other provinces in the North, including Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai.

Mae Hong Son's Muang district was hit with 236 micrograms of PM10 per cubic metre of air yester

day, while in Chiang Rai, there was 151 micrograms of particulate matter per cubic metre of air in Muang district and 141 micrograms in Mae Sai district.

Chiang Saen district chief Pinij Kaewjitkhongthong said the smog appeared to have eased as visibility along the Mekong River had improved, allowing cargo ships to operate as normal.

Natural Resources and Environment Ministry deputy permanent secretary Suphot Tovichakchaikul said there were 209 hot spots - possible causes of smog - in Thailand.

"But we have also detected many hot spots in neighbouring Myanmar too," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Many-in-North-suffer-as-smog-worsens-30256002.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-14

down load this app will keep you up to date on air reading asia air quality excellent way to stay informed when to stay in A/C. numbers in new york and chicago are way lower than anywhere in thailand keep that in mind air quality is terrible in chiang mai only getting worst . and they sell eco tourism

Just look at the map!

Even BKK has lower pollution.

And it is not just Thailand .

They need to stop farmers burning and enforce the law as ploughing in is good for the soil.

As usual it is only the rich who leave.

Some poorer people wear masks most of which as udseless!

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it. My view is that little of the smog is related to farmer's burning waste products in the fields. I live in a very rural farming part of the country; and there is virtually nil burning in the fields. It is all in the hills; and a lot of it is pretty inaccessible, so the only explanation that fits is spontaneous combustion. When the conditions are right, fires will break out without human input. It hit 38c (100f) here yesterday, well hot enough for undergrowth to catch fire.Yes, there was rice waste burnt earlier, Nov to January, but the noticeable smog effect was small. There is an argument that some hill fires are started to promote the growth of mushrooms, (underground morels) - but as a relative said, 'why start a fire in the forest when it's happening naturally'.

So, unpleasant as it is, I don't think much can be done about it, let's face it, it's been happening from time immemorial. So yes, all the talk is but hot air, to use a pun.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it. My view is that little of the smog is related to farmer's burning waste products in the fields. I live in a very rural farming part of the country; and there is virtually nil burning in the fields. It is all in the hills; and a lot of it is pretty inaccessible, so the only explanation that fits is spontaneous combustion. When the conditions are right, fires will break out without human input. It hit 38c (100f) here yesterday, well hot enough for undergrowth to catch fire.Yes, there was rice waste burnt earlier, Nov to January, but the noticeable smog effect was small. There is an argument that some hill fires are started to promote the growth of mushrooms, (underground morels) - but as a relative said, 'why start a fire in the forest when it's happening naturally'.

So, unpleasant as it is, I don't think much can be done about it, let's face it, it's been happening from time immemorial. So yes, all the talk is but hot air, to use a pun.

because perhaps the smog rarely effects the area where the fires are burning - it is carried elsewhere and remains stagnant over cities - not saying this is correct but worth consideration

Today I was somewhere out around Doi Saket where I noticed a great deal of smoke rising not too far ahead. When I got to

the area where I could see the actual source of the smoke, I was amazed to find two (2) firetrucks at the scene, however neither

truck was being used to put out the fires.

It appeared that the firemen were supervising an intentional burning off of low forest undergrowth in several different places

at the site. Maybe it was a preventative measure to reduce the chance of greater loss of trees in the event of an uncontrolled

and accidental blaze, but whatever was going on sure didn't help the pollution problem that we're all living with these days.

Today I was somewhere out around Doi Saket where I noticed a great deal of smoke rising not too far ahead. When I got to

the area where I could see the actual source of the smoke, I was amazed to find two (2) firetrucks at the scene, however neither

truck was being used to put out the fires.

It appeared that the firemen were supervising an intentional burning off of low forest undergrowth in several different places

at the site. Maybe it was a preventative measure to reduce the chance of greater loss of trees in the event of an uncontrolled

and accidental blaze, but whatever was going on sure didn't help the pollution problem that we're all living with these days.

To be fair, maybe they were constructing a fire line. They do use stuff like petrol to intentionally burn things around a bigger fire.

You can use a bulldozer, but of coz that depends on terrain + $$$.

All bets are off if the winds are very high, as the burning ambers can fly around and jump across this fire line.

Edited by vivid

.........Some say it is a natural cause.....well I ask you 40 years ago, or 20 years ago did they have this problem? Some say natural fires from Lighting cause most of the fires......This I don't believe.....It's caused by ignorant mountain people. lets hunt them down and cane them.

You would think that at the VERY least the government would educate the people on the proper masks to us, or even give them out. Given they are unwilling to stop the burning, it's the least they could do.

• Like 2

The appalling air quality was the main reason I left Hong Kong after only two months into my contract. No way would I be persuaded to go anywhere near CM during the slash and burn season.

You would think that at the VERY least the government would educate the people on the proper masks to us, or even give them out. Given they are unwilling to stop the burning, it's the least they could do.

The Singapore government did give us this, they did it through the postal system. Logistically, I think it's not going to be very easy. They expire every 5 years.

The 3M 9210/9211 looks much better though.

nsimask14514e.jpg

In Indonesia. Surgical only for a peace of mind. facepalm.gif

72129535-palembang-sumatra-indonesia-ind

TRA.img_assist_custom-512x382.jpg

p08-a_28.img_assist_custom-512x341.jpg

Are you serious? Spontanious combustion of brush at 38c ? Not gonna happen, lightning or other ignition source is needed and since in the tropics lightening is almost always with rain in the wet season very rare here as an ignition source. These fires are started by humans deliberatly.... They burn the hills for mushrooms and to plant corn on hillsides that should only be farmed if terraced. S.E.A. is one big environmental disaster and Thailand is as guilty as any of it's neighbors.

Edited by daoyai
  • Like 2

Those in charge,just keep on fiddling while Chiang Mai burns,and its

getting worse not better,praying for rain or wind is not a solution.

Just yesterday while out, somewhere at the rear of Tesco/Lotus,

someone was burning either old tyres,or copper wire as there was

a big black smoke cloud.

I don't believe for one moment that tourists are not put off visiting

Chiang Mai,although TAT propaganda,tells us they don't mind it !,

if I did not have strong ties that keep me here,like family,property,

i would be on the next plane out (if they are flying and not grounded

by low visibility !),the minority are causing health problems,lost income,

etc for the majority ,strict measures are needed.

regards Worgeordie