Parents upset over ban on children riding motorbikes

Lite Beer

Parents upset over ban on children riding motorbikes
Kawin Praneetlekha
The Nation

30256008-01_big.jpg

File Photo

BANGKOK: -- A proposed ban on young children riding on motorcycles has upset many parents who use a bike to send their children to school.

"What am I supposed to do if this proposal gets the green light", lamented Darame Paitisakul, who has a four-year-old son.

She said she did not trust school bus services in the wake of reports that some kids had been left in school vans and suffocated.

On Wednesday, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB) proposed that motorcycle passengers must be more than six years old.

Many child motorcycle passengers are often seen without safety helmets.

Statistics show a huge number of children have died or been injured in motorcycle accidents.

Of all road accidents, about 80 per cent involve motorcycles.

A study found that child passengers often fall asleep while on motorcycles.

"We believe it's necessary to put a warning label on every motorcycle too. The label should read "Death and disability without using helmet". The label must be shown clearly on the motorcycle," OCPB deputy secretary general Virachai Chomsakorn said.

While the OCPB's intention is good, its proposal has had a cool reception.

Boonta Vicheanchuy, a factory worker, said she usually hired a motorcycle taxi to send her boy to school.

"The school bus services will be more expensive. I can't afford them," she said.

Thawichai Milarp, a government official, believed the ban on young kids riding on motorcycles would violate people's rights.

"If we don't use motorcycles, my children will have to wake up before sunrise because of traffic jams," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Parents-upset-over-ban-on-children-riding-motorbik-30256008.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-14

I know it is difficult to put yourself in the place of those who struggle to make ends meet but there are dangers everywhere and for many, as evidenced by the number of children passengers on motorbikes, it is the only practical form of transport for them. Since Thais are Buddhist, they believe that if they or their child is injured/killed, it is Karma. In Texas, it is not required for adults on motorcycles to wear helmets. People are also allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck with no seat belts. It's called 'personal freedom'. I know many of you who grew up with 'nanny state' governments are horrified at the thought of someone having the choice of a less-safe option, but Nanny States are expensive; both in compliance and enforcement. In time, if the political thieving can be minimized, Thailand will grow more prosperous and can afford to force its citizens into cars. Until then, try to put yourself in the place of poor people whose options are limited by their income.

Pennsylvania, U.S.A. repealed it's helmet laws and Hawaii, U.S.A. never had them.

How much "safety rhetoric" has come from manufactures/lobbyists vs real research and statistics? I've seen reports (years ago) that a helmet being worn can cause death. Now that's interesting eh?

• Like 2

I love my freedom here and riding my bike with NO helmet, it is called freedom and I hate all the nanny state do gooders who preach about safety all the time, jeees it is not safe to walk down the street so we will all have to stay indoors in padded cells to stop hurting ourselves!!!! Live your life how you want to and stop telling others how to live theirs.

I could not agree more. One of the many reasons I love living here. I am a bit fed up of these little western nazis trying to impose there values on places like Thailand. If the law doesnt effect you stop trying to impose it on others. I know when I get in a car without a seat belt or bike without a helmet that it is more unsafe. My choice end of. I dont need a government to try and save me from myself.

Have you actually read what this thread is about?

Yes so whats your point?
  • Like 1

I love my freedom here and riding my bike with NO helmet, it is called freedom and I hate all the nanny state do gooders who preach about safety all the time, jeees it is not safe to walk down the street so we will all have to stay indoors in padded cells to stop hurting ourselves!!!! Live your life how you want to and stop telling others how to live theirs.

I could not agree more. One of the many reasons I love living here. I am a bit fed up of these little western nazis trying to impose there values on places like Thailand. If the law doesnt effect you stop trying to impose it on others. I know when I get in a car without a seat belt or bike without a helmet that it is more unsafe. My choice end of. I dont need a government to try and save me from myself.

Have you actually read what this thread is about?

Yes so whats your point?

So why have you started on your little rant about western Nazis then? Is Thailand proposing a solution to children being killed in motorbike accidents affecting your rights?

• Like 2

Well put, it seems " the nanny state do gooders" are posting on TVF regularly now!

• Like 2