How do they make money?

Crazy chef 1

I wanted just get bed sheet same you can find in hotel. impossible to find.... this country is crap, quality Is awful, service is horrible, they say yes to everything, they take your money, and no much in return...

then they believe I will buy their shit condo!

Edited by VIPinthailand

I wanted just get bed sheet same you can find in hotel. impossible to find.... this country is crap, quality Is awful, service is horrible, they say yes to everything, they take your money, and no much in return...

then they believe I will buy their shit condo!

Hahaha... I am sorry you are finding it so difficult here. Simply go into any 4 or 5 star hotel and so to see the Housekeeper. She will tell you where their sheers are sourced from.... bingo. I have night count cotton bedsheets using that method. They are great and resist the attempts at damage from local laundries well.

• Like 1

"I tried a matte finish once for interiors and within a week it was decorated with little hand prints."

That's why you choose a color as close to the local dirt color as possible, 555.

Consider yourself lucky. In Mexico, they leave the handmade saltillo tiles outside to dry and if a dog walks across a few, the paw print in the tile is considered "lucky", and is not thrown away, but proudly sold...

I have no problem with service in thaiwatsadu and Global House. Plenty of staff and if the first doesn't know something they quickly find someone else who has the answer.

Don't know how big of a cost factor their sales staff are but I'm sure they still make good profits.

As opposed to entering a mega store in countries in Australia etc where you can't find staff and they're all too busy in the meal room or moving OH&S signs around the store ?

When I go to Australia , I go to Bunnings store to get items I cant get here .I never find the staff in the meal rooms , I can ask any member of the staff where something I need and they will know exactly where it is . It is amazing how they know everything and most of the staff are ex tradesmen and help so much .. Bunnings stores are really a pleasure to shop in and when you get to the checkout , it is so fast and you do not have to wait long times to get through the checkouts/

Totally agree. I miss Ace hardware....tears

One of my favorite hardware stores in the US is Ace hardware. When I go to the electrical section there is a licensed electrician staffed there ready to help. When I go to to the plumbing section, there is a licensed plumber staffed there ready to help. When I go to the lumber section there is a helpful guy with a radial saw ready to prep boards just how you want with perfectly square cuts. And so on and so forth. A lot of these guys are around 70 years old and they give good advice and know exactly what you need.

At stores in Thailand the staff are very young, 20 somethings, and have no experience with products they sell. They smile, greet, and try to be helpful. Demonstrating an on/off switch is their proudest moment. But they know nothing about the products and most cannot compare or contrast anything to help you make a decision. They may say "this (cheapest one) sells well" as their expert advice. They don't look at what the brochures say or the boxes. They often recommend things that are incompatible with each other and won't work. They sometimes give point blank bad advice. If you ask if they have a certain item they say no only for you to find later it is right behind where they were standing. What I do is ask to see any brochures, catalogs, product boxes, URLs, or displays of what I am looking at, thank them, tell them to go away, then figure out what I need. Thai shoppers don't seem to care about any of this so I guess this situation is just the way everyone here likes it.

Today it was powerbuy and Index....don't get me started...I just have been looking for a dam'n hand blender and baby China ware...why whenever I want something(simple things)it seems almost impossible to get it..."#%^{|>>*^#~!

Don't leave us hanging in suspense CC. How did you go today?

you know top charoen optician; have shops everywhere, blue and white branding always seem to have short skirted female staff sitting in the window and hardly ever any customers.

i often wondered how they made any money and suspected they may be a front for money laundering.

i was dating a thai lawyer last year and mentioned this to her, she said they had been investigated for exactly these activities but cleared.

i still dont know how they make any money...

I bought glasses from top charoen in Phon Charoen. They charged a fortune but I needed them. Their price was comparable if not more expensive than farangland. And it wasn't a case of "hit the farang", my Thai wife was with me and prices were marked.

I am guessing if they sell 1 pair a week they have made their money.

The marked prices are purely notional in Thai opticians. Most Thais normally know this, so I am afraid your wife was not savvy enough to realise this. I have often bought marked price glasses at a half or less of the marked price, after some bargaining. But when farangs do pay the marked prices, then it makes their day and shows the pricing strategy is worth it.....laugh.png You probably paid double what the average Somchai would have paid for same pair. whistling.gif
Sorry for replying twice but I was in a bit of a hurry earlier.

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experiences with top charoen. We normally get about 15% off, never 50% or more.

There are a lot of forums out there (3 or 4 on tripadvisor alone) where posters are reporting that it is cheaper to buy glasses from companies like specsaver in Australia. I will let them know that I have been informed that they can get them for less than half price. I assume that discount is across the complete range ie Ray Ban, Percy, Prada, Hoya etc.

Terrific news. Thanks again.

I have followed this up on some dedicated forums, and it seems I can't find a single person who has paid less that half price for eyeware at Top Charoen.

Can you kindly offer some more information for me to pass on?

The brands of your glasses. The location of the Top Charoen outlet. Prices advertised and paid.

Thanks in advance.

I don't like going to Homepro, they are too hard sell, too many staff and always choose the highest priced item, I think because I am farang. Naturally because they are Thai the wife believes them, but doesn't ask hard questions and I end up walking out and going to one of the smaller stores that I know where the staff are usually much more knowledgeable. Watsadu has so much stuff it's rather like Bunnings, if you know what you want fine. I think the staff there are shy of engaging with farang. Nevertheless I prefer going to hardware stores on my own. I think they make money from buying from China on a huge scale and them marking it up. Don't forget their customers are overwhelmingly Thai, we may think they are probably undertrained however training does not replace experience and really most of them just don't have it. In the local hardwares I know staff who've been there the entire 6 years I've been h

" I think they make money from buying from China on a huge scale and them marking it up."

Exactly as they do in USA where I am from.

It is difficult to find merchandise in the US that is not produced in China.

Can you say "Walmart"/?

The largest retailer on earth???