Savannakhet; Aussie; non-imm O knocked back

Reporting my experience from Tuesday 10th March 2015. Basic facts:

Aussie male, 56 yo, been in Thailand 9 out of past 15 years on various visa options.

Went to Savannakhet via Aussie Embassy hoping for a non-imm O based on retirement

From the embassy I had a signed, witnessed statutory declaration stating:

• Name =
  • Occupation = retired
  • Address =
  • Age and date of birth (verifying over 50 status)
  • Passport details
  • that I have retired from work in Australia effective 2 years ago
  • that I do not intend to work in Thailand
  • that I have independent income from investments in Australia (giving an AUD figure and conversion to Thai baht) well in excess of the minimum 65,000 requirement. - though I didn't bring copies of my Aussie or Singapore trading accounts or Thai bank statements because I don't actually transfer very much money into Thailand at the moment.

I handed in the document and when the officer hesitated I translated it into Thai for him.

He said that I needed the account from my Embassy showing where my pension was being paid. I explained (all in reasonably good, very polite Thai) that I did not get a pension, I had independent investment income. He wouldn't have a bar of that, wanted the account from my embassy (which of course is nonsense, the Embassy cannot do such a thing).

I tried a different tack and said I was sorry, I thought that I only had to provide that for the extensions in Thailand, that for the visa all that was necessary was the letter which I had given him - I thought that might give him a soft way out to save face and give me the visa. No go. All he would offer was a tourist visa, though when I asked him for a double entry he was happy to do that.

At least it has delayed the hassle for another 6 months.

Other observations of Savannakhet new consulate:

They use a paper card queue system, if it is your first time into the consulate you may not notice the little wire basket with the tickets near the window.

The officer calls out the ticket numbers, only in Lao accented Thai, there is no display system. If you don't know Thai numbers then you may miss your turn.

There appears to be only one shop outside "helping" people with documents, copies, photos etc, not the dozen or so who were at the old place. When I was there it was pretty quiet but I am guessing that on a busy day they will be swamped - bring everything from home (including pen, scissors, glue if necessary) and either download the application form or go up to the window of the consulate and get one for free rather than paying the shop 10 baht.

In the rainy season, be sure to take an umbrella, there is nowhere near enough shelter for the masses.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with the efficiency of the way the consular staff handled the workload on the days I was there.

If you had the the statutory declaration from the Oz embassy they might of done it.

Savannakhet is not a good place to go for a non-o for being 50 or over for retirement. They have turned people away with 800k baht in a Thai bank.

Vientiane is a better location.

had the stat dec with details as stated - I got the impression that if I had gotten a different officer on the day they might have allowed it, just that this guy wasn't going to allow it. Will see what happens in 6 months when the TRx2 runs out - will try Vientiane then or maybe go Thai elite card instead .... or call it quits and go to Nicaragua!

You would of gotten the visa in Vientiane with the statutory declaration. Savannakhet for some reason is reluctant to do the non-o.

You don't have to wait the 6 months.

If live in or near Bangkok you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry, You could use the statutory declaration you have now.

• Like 1

just for clarification: The OP applied for a full-year-non-O, right ? not a multiple entry non-O.

Just wonder how the situatiuon in South East Asia is nowadays regarding the multiple-non-O Visas that not necessarily require 800 K in the Bank. I know from the honorary Consulat in my home town that they used to require only 5K Euro in Cash or on a vank account to issue a multiple-non-O. even though I have never had an O Visa as I can still get a multiple-B. But you never know what the future may bring, so always good to stay updated on the latest developments

just for clarification: The OP applied for a full-year-non-O, right ? not a multiple entry non-O.

Just wonder how the situatiuon in South East Asia is nowadays regarding the multiple-non-O Visas that not necessarily require 800 K in the Bank. I know from the honorary Consulat in my home town that they used to require only 5K Euro in Cash or on a vank account to issue a multiple-non-O. even though I have never had an O Visa as I can still get a multiple-B. But you never know what the future may bring, so always good to stay updated on the latest developments

The only report I can recall of getting a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement within the region was at Penang by showing the 800k baht in the bank.

If you have to show the money in the bank or income it is best to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

• Like 1

i've always wondered why savannakhet go easy on multiple entry visas based on marriage but get tough on retirees.

is this immigrations good heart on show for those with a thai family? (there being no other place granting these without financials)

Edited by ColdSingha

They Cannot Issue Retirement Visas in Savannakhett , as told to me by the 3 previous Consul Generals there.

Of course they cannot issue retirement visas because there is no such visa. The only visa that comes close is the OA visa and they might be able to issue those for Laotians or Lao residents.

They had been issuing non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement until within the last few months but seem to of changed policy and are asking for a letter from your embassy stating you are retired. The only ones I have seen reports of being approved in the past year or so is one where a person had an income letter and 800k baht in the bank.

I need some advice too

I got a non-B from Savannakhet in January and the visa expires April 12 (yes during Song Kran) and as the position/job never materialised I now have to return to get a Tourist Visa. I intend to go on the 6th of April and apply for a double entry TV. My question is: will my non-B affect application for the TV and/or will I need paperwork to leave Thailand stating that I did not work on this visa?

And a last question when I went to Savannakhet in January (it was still one day process then - ahhhh the dream consulatewai2.gif ) there were about 80 or 90 people applying for visas. Any news on the numbers of applicants now since the new processing times?

thank you for any information

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What exactly do I need for a NON-O multiple entry one year visa in Vientiane based on retirement?

I am 63 years of age, was married to a Thai, but now divorced.

(I am prepared to go to any neighbouring country)

It would appear that you do not qualify for a multiple entry Visa. . A single entry visa could be obtained if you can demonstrate 800,000Bht in a Thai bank or a monthy income of 655,000 certified by your Embassy

I need some advice too

I got a non-B from Savannakhet in January and the visa expires April 12 (yes during Song Kran) and as the position/job never materialised I now have to return to get a Tourist Visa. I intend to go on the 6th of April and apply for a double entry TV. My question is: will my non-B affect application for the TV and/or will I need paperwork to leave Thailand stating that I did not work on this visa?

And a last question when I went to Savannakhet in January (it was still one day process then - ahhhh the dream consulatewai2.gif ) there were about 80 or 90 people applying for visas. Any news on the numbers of applicants now since the new processing times?

Your non-b will have no effect on your tourist visa application and you do not need any paperwork to leave.

I need some advice too

You will not have a problem getting a tourist visa after having a non-b.

No problem to leave the country since you never did an extension of your 90 day entry from the visa.

I have not seen any reports on how many people are going since they changed back to next day service.

What exactly do I need for a NON-O multiple entry one year visa in Vientiane based on retirement?

I am 63 years of age, was married to a Thai, but now divorced.

(I am prepared to go to any neighbouring country)

The only report I can recall of getting a multiple entry non-o for being 50 or over was in Penang and that was with 800k baht in the bank.

If you can meet that kind of financial proof you should apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

thank you ubonjoe and mario for your replies -

ntw

I need some advice too

You will not have a problem getting a tourist visa after having a non-b.

No problem to leave the country since you never did an extension of your 90 day entry from the visa.

I have not seen any reports on how many people are going since they changed back to next day service.