New Excise Taxes in 2016 - What Will it Mean?

Hi peeps,

I have been on the verge of buying a new car for a few weeks with the new Merc C class my preferred choice (actually I paid a deposit on a C250 in January but then cancelled it when they called me to say they had changed their policy and were not going to offer the C250 anymore but had replaced it with the C300 BlueTec Hybrid - I don't like Merc's diesel engines). Now they say they will release a new C200 AMG at the motorshow so I am tempted again.

But, I am also aware that from the 1st January 2016 Thailand will be restructuring the tax rates on cars to be based on CO2 emissions and scrapping the 220HP and other barriers. So, is it stupid to be buying a new car now? Should I wait? I just don't know what the new tax rates will mean in the real world - will most (efficient) cars become significantly cheaper? Can anyone give a real world example?

Cheers,

JB.

• Like 1

In the case of cars like the C200 AMG (< 2000cc, <220HP, <150gm/KM, E20 compat) Excise taxes will actually be going up next year (from 25% to 30%).

The only potential winners under the new tax are cars with engines < 3000cc, and > 220HP, and which emit low CO2. For these, excise tax will reduce from 50% to 25% to 40% depending on CO2 emissions and what fuel types they support.

• Like 2

In the case of cars like the C200 AMG (< 2000cc, <220HP, <150gm/KM, E20 compat) Excise taxes will actually be going up next year (from 25% to 30%).

The only potential winners under the new tax are cars with engines < 3000cc, and > 220HP, and which emit low CO2. For these, excise tax will reduce from 50% to 25% to 40% depending on CO2 emissions and what fuel types they support.

Thanks IMHO. Not the answer I was hoping for, but makes sense.

Cheers.

Merc diesel engines are one of the best in the world.

In many ways they are very good, but they are also very noisy compared to their competitors. I test drove the same new engine in the E300 BlueTec Hybrid and didn't like it - found it clattery - hence cancelling my order.

Edited by josephbloggs