Big stash of US dollars found in bag in Bangkok hotel

webfact

Big stash of US dollars found in bag in Bangkok hotel
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- A bag containing US$200,000 (Bt6.6 million) that police suspect is counterfeit and would have been used in a fraudulent act was found yesterday at The Boutique Place Hotel in Bangkok.

Metropolitan Police commander Pol Lt-General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said that if the money were found to be real, police would attempt to locate its owner.

At the scene of the find were Srivara, Metropolitan Police chief of investigations Maj-General Sombat Milintachinda, Phya Thai police superintendent Colonel Chanawin Puangpet and investigators from Phya Thai Police Station. The owner of the 18-room hotel, Napat Songkitwarakul, claimed she found the money when she accidentally kicked the bag, before contacting police.

The money - made up of $100 notes -was in a safe inside the bag. A bottle containing an unknown chemical and white powder was also found in the bag.

Napat said most guests were foreigners.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Big-stash-of-US-dollars-found-in-bag-in-Bangkok-ho-30256086.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-16

"police would attempt to locate its owner".

You would think that in an 18 room hotel, a quick look at the hotel registry would uncover who stayed in the room, or am I over simplifying things.

By maintaining a proper register, would mean having to report all guests to the govt. possibly.......or maybe they're just slack!

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1

Metropolitan Police commander Pol Lt-General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said that if the money were found to be real, police would attempt to locate its owner.

The location and the handling handling of the monies by the police may well be in line with using a proxy server perhaps?whistling.gif

Today, most proxies are web proxies, facilitating access to content on the World Wide Web and providing anonymity.

You would think that in an 18 room hotel, a quick look at the hotel registry would uncover who stayed in the room, or am I over simplifying things.

the story doesn't mention a room, if fact it mentions very little, what it does say is that a bag containing money was found somewhere in a named hotel by the owner who kicked it - they are either covering something up or it is just the usual poor reporting

>>The owner of the 18-room hotel, Napat Songkitwarakul, claimed she found the money when she accidentally kicked the bag, before contacting police.<< Quote

Wonder if Hans Christian Andersen was Thai??

No story is too strange in this country!!

• Like 1

the story doesn't mention a room, if fact it mentions very little, what it does say is that a bag containing money was found somewhere in a named hotel by the owner who kicked it - they are either covering something up or it is just the usual poor reporting

Also mentioned that the bag was in a safe....(mentioned in the original post).....hard to kick in a safe!!

Edited by ChrisY1

A bag containing US$200,000 (Bt6.6 million) that police suspect is counterfeit and would have been used in a fraudulent act was found yesterday at The Boutique Place Hotel in Bangkok.

They're concerned that the bag might be counterfeit? whistling.gif

• Like 2

It was in a safe inside a bag and the hotel owner accidentally kicked it. Was the bag in a hotel safe, or was a safe in a bag? How did she accidentally kick it?

If it was in a safe inside a bag it doesn't make sense that the money would have shown. If a bag was in a safe it doesn't make sense that she would have kicked it.

Often I can't make out these articles. I guess they are translated?

Unfortunately these news items are translated very poorly.

My reading of it would be that the 'safe' would be perhaps a "cash box" of some type, so not what you and I would call a safe but possibly what a bad translation might result in.

200,000 in 100s is 2000 notes, assuming bundles of 100 that is 20 bundles. New notes take up 50% or less space than used ones so depending on how they were packed etc they wouldn't take up much space.

They would certainly fit inside a decent sized cash box.