Registering a car in Thailand - It's all in the name

Looking for advice on the car registration process here.

I bought the car a while back in my (foreign name). No problem there.

Now I want to register the thing and get the proper license plates. This is being handled by the dealer as part of the service.

Forms were filled with my first and last name - as middle names are not known in Thai, there is no place for this on the form. Also provided a copy of my passport, visa etc. It all seemed fine but the car rego johnnies, after due consideration, rejected it because the name on the form (First Name, last name) is not the same as the name in the passport (First name, Middle Name, Last name). I suggested the solution would be to just add the middle name to the form as a sort of extra first name and maybe slip a few notes into an envelope as a sweetener but this was met with much shaking of heads from wife, dealer girl and of course the rego folks wouldn't have a bar of it.

Now have to go through the whole process again which may not be much of a big deal but I want to try and be sure I get it right the second time...if that's possible.

I can't believe I'm the first farang to want to register a car in their own name so has anyone come across this obstacle to what must be a very regular occurrence? If so, what's the solution?

"I bought the car a while back in my (foreign name). Now I want to register the thing and get the proper license plates."

So you had the car sitting at home unregistered ?

Seems kinda pointless to me as I would want to drive it rather than look at it.

Just check the book for my pickup, it has my first/middle and last name listed..... someone is being stubborn on your (dealer/DLT) end I suspect.

Edited by Don Mega

Lots of small (P.R.B.) businesses that can handle this. Just find one that will help.

P.R.B. pronounced Paw Raw Baw which is Thailand's term for the compulsory insurance, but many of these places will handle all kinds of things about cars and bikes with the land office and they often act as independent insurance brokers. I just had my name removed from our car and my bike transferred into another person's name. Anyone care to quess what this cost? It's frickin' ridiculous what these services cost.

Our car was in both our names. To remove my name from our 4 1/2 year old Honda City cost 2900 baht...just to remove a name!

To transfer my one year old PCX into my girl's name cost 1420 baht.

P.R.B. lady's service charge 400 baht

Two resident certificates from immigration 500 baht.

TOTAL 5,220 for these simple services.

What a racket the government has going on this kind of stuff.

Edited by oneday

I have adopted the following practice when filling in my name on forms in Thailand:

1) if there is a place to specifically enter my middle name, I do so in that place.

2) if there is no place to specifically enter my middle name, then I simply pretend my first name consists of my first name followed by my middle name.

For example, if my name were Steven Randolph Westby in case 1) above my first name would be "Steven," with middle name "Randolph," and in case 2) my first name would be "Steven Randolph", and there would be no middle name.

The reason why I do this is to avoid the problem experienced by the OP. In my experience people have had no problem matching my passport (which of course, contains a first, middle, and last name) with any form I fill out, whether or not it specifically calls for a middle name. So far it has worked well, although on a couple occasions I have been called Steven Randolph, rather than just Steven, but when that happens I just roll with it. If it doesn't bother Jean Claude, why should it bother me?

Edited by skatewash

No, your not the first but maybe the first to openly admit contemplating bribing a government official on an open forum. Do not understand what you are on about. I have two Christian names and a family name, all three are on my registration, Thai license, and two Thai bank accounts. Also listed on my retirement documents and extension, so why do you say middles names are not known in Thai. They want to know who you are and it must be the same as in your passport.

You say you bought a car awhile back now you want to register it and get proper plates. Was it new or used. If new, didn't you pay tax and insurance, normally done at the time of sale, as if you do not have insurance then they will not register the car. If new, did you hire Red Plates and receive log book, (3,000 baht) refundable, when registered. It sounds like maybe new, as the dealer is assisting but then they also assist if second hand but a different process. If paperwork done at the time of sale normally takes two to three months for registration to come through.

If new and no plates, and you have been driving it, then you have been using the car illegally, must be registered and have plates to be driven upon a public road. If red plates and log book, no problem. Cannot understand why your middle name was not included. You say foreign, maybe there's no Thai translation but mine, English, can be written in both languages, however, despite this your full name is your identifier so must be used. Whoever completed the form did so incorrectly. Of course three names can be listed, do so above the space or write smaller, common sense always prevails.

If what you listed on the form does not match your passport, of course they will not register the vehicle, everything must be clear and concise on the documents. As you have put little information in your post it makes it difficult to give you the relevant advise but all I can say is if you want to obtain registration, then give them your full details. If that is all they have asked for, then why the drama, just do what they have asked. As you say, it's no big deal but I suggest give your self a kick up the back side, as it 's your responsibility to ensure the documents are completed correctly. It's like anything else, if you don't know, ask.

Why did you suggest trying to bribe the Officers, is this your normal practice on how to get things done here. No wonder there is so much corruption, especially when a farang wants to have government officials act in a complicit manner. Not everyone's corrupt so you shouldn't treat others as if they are. It was good to see your wife and others frown upon what you were contemplating. Put down everything that has occurred as an experience and hopefully you will learn from it.

"I bought the car a while back in my (foreign name). Now I want to register the thing and get the proper license plates."

Just check the book for my pickup, it has my first/middle and last name listed..... someone is being stubborn on your (dealer/DLT) end I suspect.

I'm not the kind of doofus who would drop a wad for a new car and have it sit in the driveway as an ornament. It's got the red dealer plates and we have already racked up a hefty number of kilometers. The aim now is to get the regular black and white plates so we can do stuff like legally drive at night. As you say though I suspect someone involved in the chain of events is being unnecessarily stubborn.

Sorry posts crossed- obviously not a new car.

Given the horrendous price of second hand cars , I would always go for a new one and 3 years warranty.

It's a completely different mind set as in many countries used cars are a real bargain. Here the roads are so bad , shocks and suspension are knackered in a couple of years. ( and of course the wear and tear of som tam on the upholstery )

Given the horrendous price of second hand cars , I would always go for a new one and 3 years warranty.

It's a completely different mind set as in many countries used cars are a real bargain. Here the roads are so bad , shocks and suspension are knackered in a couple of years. ( and of course the wear and tear of som tam on the upholstery )

The OP mentioned red dealer plates, so very likely it was a new car.

I still think the OP did not hand in all the required paperwork, and with the dealer not going to the DLT to register the car, since that means the taxes have to be paid as well, for a long time it has taken a long time to notice something amiss. And the names are NOT the issue.

Edited by stevenl

The OP mentioned red dealer plates, so very likely it was a new car.

I still think the OP did not hand in all the required paperwork, and with the dealer not going to the DLT to register the car, since that means the taxes have to be paid as well, for a long time it has taken a long time to notice something amiss. And the names are NOT the issue.

Shame he didn't put that information in his initial post. What else has he decided not to tell us. I don't know why you think he might not have handed in all the necessary paperwork. Like him, don't think, if you don't know. ask, don't assume. According to him he alleges that all was required was his middle name but he was required to redo all the paperwork. Someone is not being truthful but who is anyone's guess. Did he pay the taxes and insurance at the time he did the initial transaction, who knows as he hasn't taken the time to explain everything clearly, so again one can only guess but I won't, as it could be incorrect..

I don't know what his problem is, as I've bought two new cars in the past 18 months and on both occasions I paid the tax up front and also insurance on both of the vehicles. Red plates for both and with the 1st vehicle, as I wanted Bangkok registration, it took three months for the plates to be received and the registration applied from the date they were issued, three months after payment. The second car, as the missus took the local plates, two months after payment and that is when the registration commenced.. In both instances, the dealer, my wife and I went over the paperwork thoroughly before they were forwarded and we never experienced any problems whatsoever.

I'm not the kind of doofus who would drop a wad for a new car and have it sit in the driveway as an ornament. It's got the red dealer plates and we have already racked up a hefty number of kilometers. The aim now is to get the regular black and white plates so we can do stuff like legally drive at night. As you say though I suspect someone involved in the chain of events is being unnecessarily stubborn.

Maybe yourself seeing you couldn't get your own way in your attempt to corrupt a government official. One should always look at one's self first before casting aspersions on someone else in the chain. Many blame others before themselves why, because they do not like to admit to making errors.

What I like about Thai Visa is that people post about situations that they feel really hard done by- they seem to think that they are living in the West - in the UK we have the DVLA - vehicle licensing authority- they are the most staggeringly efficient organisation- all paperless now .

Every car can be tracked- you know exactly its history- if it has been in an accident, when it went for its government tests, everything on line- in seconds, all the previous owners etc etc

The OP has had no sympathy , we all seem to manage officialdom easily without even considering bribes.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

well your OP is very vague in detail.

The white plates will arrive in a matter of time (mine took 4 months), you do not have to apply for them as this should be done by the delearship and they will use the the documentation your provided them upon initial purchase.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

If a Cars not Dripped, You can go with the Office and get the plates yourself if the Dealers slow,and you want to go touring without Reds.Takes about an hour to press em out with all the paperwork,then a trip to fit them on if you cant DIY .thumbsup.gif

After a couple of years! Do you deliberately drive into large potholes? Changed the suspension on my wife's car after 7 years, 40k and my Mitsu Lancer is still on it's original suspension after 8 years and 93k

After a couple of years! Do you deliberately drive into large potholes? Changed the suspension on my wife's car after 7 years, 40k and my Mitsu Lancer is still on it's original suspension after 8 years and 93k

A work colleague in our BKK office purchased a new Mazda 3, within 4 weeks it was into the dealership for new shocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of small (P.R.B.) businesses that can handle this. Just find one that will help.

P.R.B. pronounced Paw Raw Baw which is Thailand's term for the compulsory insurance, but many of these places will handle all kinds of things about cars and bikes with the land office and they often act as independent insurance brokers. I just had my name removed from our car and my bike transferred into another person's name. Anyone care to quess what this cost? It's frickin' ridiculous what these services cost.

Our car was in both our names. To remove my name from our 4 1/2 year old Honda City cost 2900 baht...just to remove a name!

To transfer my one year old PCX into my girl's name cost 1420 baht.

P.R.B. lady's service charge 400 baht

Two resident certificates from immigration 500 baht.

TOTAL 5,220 for these simple services.

What a racket the government has going on this kind of stuff.

Can more than one name be on the title as a co-owner? For example, could I put my name on my fiancee's truck title, rather than transferring it completely over to me? Although it's not a big deal, but that may make it slightly easier to bring the car across borders, although still having her name on it may perhaps nevertheless require a power of attorney, as is the case now.

• 1 year later...

Bribing officials- a real no no, we live under martial law these days ; doesn't anyone understand that by now?

We most certainly do not live under martial law in Thailand now, that was lifted a long time ago, how come you don't understand that yet?

It's a completely different mind set as in many countries used cars are a real bargain. Here the roads are so bad , shocks and suspension are knackered in a couple of years.

There's nothing much wrong with Thailand's roads, you're just promulgating another myth. And if your car has knackered suspension at 2 years old you've either been abusing it or there was something drastically wrong with the car in the first place. Normal Thai roads won't do it any harm.

It's a completely different mind set as in many countries used cars are a real bargain. Here the roads are so bad , shocks and suspension are knackered in a couple of years.

A work colleague in our BKK office purchased a new Mazda 3, within 4 weeks it was into the dealership for new shocks.

So, obviously, nothing to do with the generally excellent roads in Thailand.