Israel's Netanyahu emerges with slight edge after tight race

webfact

Netanyahu's insatiable ambition forced him to reveal the truth about Israel's true intentions regarding the proposed two state solution.

The one thing I would say to the Israeli voters is that elections have consequences.

That's something you can say about any country as many have found out to their detriment.

Netanyahu is the people's choice regardless of the percentage, because that's the way it is when you have more than 2 parties in contention, the same will happen in the UK. I think what this says, is that at the last minute a lot of Israeli's had another think about the left wing consequences and changed their minds, as it did look as if he might lose as recently as a week ago.

• Like 2

As somebody else pointed out earlier in this thread, politicians say all sorts of things during election fever that they have no intentions whatsoever to deliver once their position is secure. It seems that this is a reality that has been temporarily lost on some posters here. Having said that, it has always seemed to me that for Netanyahu this will always be personal because of his brother. Being able to put aside such grudges in favour of the greater good may be seen as honourable and admirable but is easier said / suggested by others, than done. If this runs through his decision making as much as I suspect, who knows. Whatever the case, the scars and bad blood on each side of this make it much more difficult than some believe with their - "all the other side has to do is 'this' and it will all be over".

Well, Netanyahu is a right winger, that's for sure, but there are Israeli factions much further to the right of him, and he needed them to achieve this quite considerable political victory. So yes I would take some of what he said and did in the election with a little bit of Kosher salt, but not too much.

• Like 1

The one thing I would say to the Israeli voters is that elections have consequences.

Indeed, and this equally applies to the election of Hamas by Gazans. Voting somebody in does not nescsssarily guarantee immunity from disapproval domestically, regionally or internationally and their responses / actions following the result, because that's the reality of this ever connected world. It is a reality we all recognise but some blind themselves to. Responses to voting choices may end up tougher on one group / nation may pan out tougher than on others, but that's just the way the felafel crumbles.

<snipped>. It seems that this is a reality that has been temporarily lost on some posters here. Having said that, it has always seemed to me that for Netanyahu this will always be personal because of his brother. Being able to put aside such grudges in favour of the greater good may be seen as honourable and admirable but is easier said / suggested by others, than done. If this runs through his decision making as much as I suspect, who knows. Whatever the case, the scars and bad blood on each side of this make it much more difficult than some believe with their - "all the other side has to do is 'this' and it will all be over".

What is the connection with his brother? What grudge?

• Like 1

Well, I think a party with a leader with the views of Herzog could have won this time, but perhaps Herzog didn't come across as MACHO enough. Israel likes strong macho leaders like Golda Meir! It was reported on the news that the tone of his voice was not popular. Such theatrics matter in modern politics. I just read that Herzog was seen as representative of the Ashkenazi intellectual elite and there are great numbers of Israeli Jews who don't relate to that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Netanyahu's insatiable ambition forced him to reveal the truth about Israel's true intentions regarding the proposed two state solution.

Against free election many are afraid to let Israel choose their leader.

I say let Israel choose their leader as well Nigeria Egypt Syria Iran and the rest

However maybe not the Germans because they did election and devil about 80 years ago

The Washington Post, The New York Times and Obama all lost

But the People of Israel had their right to vote

Thank God

This is good news insofar as it will mean a quicker, but more painful birth of the Palestinian nation.

It will also mean the Palestinians will get more of what they want because the State will be formed unilaterally.

Fascist Netanyahu will not be able to stop himself from breaking more and more international laws and the Geneva Convention, especially as he's probably going to be aligned with extreme right wingers.

He's setting Israel up for punishment. Good thing.

I am much more worried about the greater risk that this guy will start off world War 3

• Like 1

This is good news insofar as it will mean a quicker, but more painful birth of the Palestinian nation.

It will also mean the Palestinians will get more of what they want because the State will be formed unilaterally.

Fascist Netanyahu will not be able to stop himself from breaking more and more international laws and the Geneva Convention, especially as he's probably going to be aligned with extreme right wingers.

I am much more worried about the greater risk that this guy will start off world War 3

This is such an exageration, how is Netanyahu going to start WW3, even the Rissians don't want Iran getting the bomb. There is more chance of WW3 over the Ukraine, than there is over Iran being bombed to destroy their nuclear ambitions.

• Like 2

This is such an exageration, how is Netanyahu going to start WW3, even the Rissians don't want Iran getting the bomb. There is more chance of WW3 over the Ukraine, than there is over Iran being bombed to destroy their nuclear ambitions.

Huh ?huh.png It is not an exaggeration at all. Obama has got more than 18 months left in office and if Obama either signs an executive order regarding an Iran deal (or refers the matter to the United Nations which I think is better) Netanyahu has said many times Isael can take on Iran alone at anytime if they choose.

You don’t have to be particularly brilliant at "joining the dots " to see how that would spark off world War 3

• Like 1

<snipped>. It seems that this is a reality that has been temporarily lost on some posters here. Having said that, it has always seemed to me that for Netanyahu this will always be personal because of his brother. Being able to put aside such grudges in favour of the greater good may be seen as honourable and admirable but is easier said / suggested by others, than done. If this runs through his decision making as much as I suspect, who knows. Whatever the case, the scars and bad blood on each side of this make it much more difficult than some believe with their - "all the other side has to do is 'this' and it will all be over".

What is the connection with his brother? What grudge?

The poster asserts Netanyahu has a "grudge" because his brother was killed in the utterly brilliant Entebbe Raid is based on... nothing at all. This area of the world is filled with people who have dead loved ones. To hold Netanyahu to some grudge standard not applied equally to every other person who has lost a loved one fallacious at best. Israel choose Netanyahu again and IMO only a position of strength can yield security, or a possible State solution, if viable. There has never been a case in history of this region where weakness or concessions were reciprocated; none that I can cite.

• Like 2

Huh ?huh.png It is not an exaggeration at all. Obama has got more than 18 months left in office and if Obama either signs an executive order regarding an Iran deal (or refers the matter to the United Nations which I think is better) Netanyahu has said many times Isael can take on Iran alone at anytime if they choose.

You don’t have to be particularly brilliant at "joining the dots " to see how that would spark off world War 3

provide one link where it even suggests Israels action over Iran would spark WW3.

• Like 1

I bet Hamas are thrilled.

Hamas actually wanted Netanyahu to win! they need an excuse to carry on firing rockets into Israel when they want.

For Hamas, the issue is less complicated. For its leadership, the nightmare scenario is a Herzog-Livni victory and the progress of peace talks with Abbas.

Read more: Hamas and Fatah have clear, opposite interests in Israel's election outcome | The Times of Israel http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-and-fatah-have-clear-opposite-interests-in-israels-election-outcome/#ixzz3UjHTMcNN

The Netanyahu polici is already working without +61 majority in the Knesset.

Do we need to be surprised from your Israeli tabloid ?

Why is Israel playing constantly the victim role ?

Hamas has nothing to do with the Israeli elections.

Well you don't have to follow this topic if you don't like what you read!

I guess in your eyes it is only Israel that has an agenda. Why would Hamas be interested in the elections. Maybe it has something to do with the missery they have brought apon Gaza, Maybe if the zionist Union had won Hamas' support base would weeken.

No one said they had anything to do with the Israeli elections. But the certainly have an interest in who won!

• Like 1

provide one link where it even suggests Israels action over Iran would spark WW3.

Of course he cant provide a meaningful link. Since such a thing is impossible to prove or refute.

Of course he cant provide a meaningful link. Since such a thing is impossible to prove or refute.

Really is that the best answer? you can't provide a link because the idea just doesn't float. After all if it were true it would be very easy to prove. Only falsehoods are impossible to prove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N3H49snpFRg

Edited by Asiantravel

Really is that the best answer? you can't provide a link because the idea just doesn't float. After all if it were true it would be very easy to prove. Only falsehoods are impossible to prove.

How can he/she prove or refute that WWIII will become a reality if X attacks Y?

He/she cant.

Its not mathematics.

Edited by BKKBobby

I guess that depends on whether Netanyahu would be ready to call China's bluff?

He/she cant.

Its not mathematics.

It really is very simple, he/she has made a claim, no suggestion that it is only an opinion. I asked for a link to prove his claim. he cannot provide a reputable link because not even Obama has suggested it would start WW3

to try and turn it into some sort of isoteric question with "if X attacks Y" is nonsense, even that is quantifiable, I am sure Israel has worked out all the X's and Y's

even a dimwit can understand that surely?

He/she cant.

Its not mathematics.

It really is very simple, he/she has made a claim, no suggestion that it is only an opinion. I asked for a link to prove his claim. he cannot provide a reputable link because not even Obama has suggested it would start WW3

to try and turn it into some sort of isoteric question with "if X attacks Y" is nonsense, even that is quantifiable, I am sure Israel has worked out all the X's and Y's

even a dimwit can understand that surely?

Its not quantifiable.