Neighbor building illegal wall...

Hello all,

So we got a neighbor next to one of our (wife owned) empty property lots who decided to build a wall, and carve out a couple extra inches from our land to put his wall on.

Needless to say, we told him to destroy his wall and get it off our land (clearly marked and inspected by land office).

If I am not mistaken, isn't there a law in Thailand stating that a wall but be a few inches (centimeters?) away from the land border also?

If true:

1) How far away from the border must the wall be?

2) Is there a police order/land office statement/something legal I (the wife) can use to shove in his face so he builds correctly?

Sorry to ask this question - as it has been likely covered before. Search on the site gave me 0 results using keywords "wall" and "border".

Thanks for clear info in advance. I don't live on the land, its empty, so I am not worried about pissing this neighbor off.He's a snake for clearly trying to steal some land from us anyway.

In Thailand, it always prudent to build a fence or a wall directly over the chanote markers as soon as you buy property. We luckily did that as we found out a neighbor was planning on putting a road right on the property line, taking a meter or two of our property. Once the fence was there, he could only dump dirt on his side, but we did have to dig out all of our chanote markers. You have to protect your interests in this country.

There are a couple ways to look at it.....a couple inchs?? Could it be the contractor messed up?? If so is it such a crucial amount of land that you cannot sell it to him? Or is it worth it generating hatred and animosity that could lead to years of headaches........If one day you will both be living next door to one another its worth thinking about.

There are rules against building within a certain distance of the boundary. However, I believe these are set locally, rather than nationally. Where I live the rules are 50 cm if the wall doesn't have windows, 2 metres if it does. (Glass bricks don't count as windows apparently.)

My wife had same problem on her farm land in SiSakit.

Her brother went to the land office and they came and measured the land plots.

Okay this was done before any walls were erected but the neighbor was moving closer and closer to her house and stored all his old things there.

The neighbor was not amused when we build a wall, he-he.

So I think you should go to the land office bringing the title deed for the land and explain the problem, well your wife.

Yup, the land office is your first port of call, lubrication may be required to get things moving smoothly.

If it really is a few inches, maybe negotiate with the wall builder to use 'his' wall as a party wall (so it provides your boundary wall too). Get your side finished nicely and you're good to go.

There are a couple ways to look at it.....a couple inchs?? Could it be the contractor messed up?? If so is it such a crucial amount of land that you cannot sell it to him? Or is it worth it generating hatred and animosity that could lead to years of headaches........If one day you will both be living next door to one another its worth thinking about.

Sell, sure!

But he wants it for free.

We don't live on this plot of land, nor do we ever intend to.

Edited by psychomud