Lessons learned (a decade of applications for extension to stay)

The following are words of advice from lessons learned over the past 11 years of submitting applications for yearly extensions of stay based on a Non – O visa in Phuket:

• Never assume you have covered all possible contingencies and are properly prepared; you will be disappointed
  • Monitor TV forum for updates on changes to local office requirements before completing your application package; ask specific questions if in doubt
  • Allow minimum 3-5 working days prior to expiration of current extension and be aware of any local holidays that may affect opening hours
  • Photocopy documents so that information is presented and readable horizontally on the vertical page (some officers don't like having to turn pages sideways to verify information); then sign each page in blue ink, a contrasting colour (do this before presenting application to officer)
  • Do yourself a favour and download necessary forms from the immigration website; queueing up for forms handed out by a single volunteer and then being told to fill them out before queueing up again to collect your number (issued by same volunteer) can cost you hours; the line may not be long but that volunteer is in charge of vetting everyone's paperwork and answering all their questions before issuing a number; most importantly, try to remember: this volunteer does not know everything and the immigration officer can, and probably will, still find you are missing required documents
  • Arrive early and be prepared to spend the day if you are not properly prepared; having to alternate between queues for upstairs, downstairs offices and photocopy shop is somewhat less than amusing even with the obligatory lunch break or potential excursions to banks and Ampur offices to collect additional documents
  • Make an attempt to dress “politely” as a show of respect (ladies with bare shoulders will be turned out of the Phuket office (upstairs) for not being “polite”); read signs and notices posted on or beside the entrances
  • After presenting documents to an officer and then being told to go and wait for your name to be called (he / she will likely have to turn your documents over to a superior for further processing) try to wait where you can keep on eye on the desk where you last left your documents; it is easy for them to get buried under a pile and forgotten until some hours later when you initiate an enquiry
  • Bring something to read or to occupy your time; distraction from the general disgruntled atmosphere of the waiting room is essential; never allow yourself to fall asleep when waiting for your name to be called
  • If you're lucky enough to get through the ordeal in short order, go ahead and breathe a sigh of relief, but know that in a month (or two) when you collect your approved 'extension to stay' stamp, next year could be radically different
  • Above all, smile or grin and bare it . . . it's better than poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

• Like 1

It really took a decade to learn the basics?

Allow minimum 3-5 working days prior to expiration of current extension and be aware of any local holidays that may affect opening hours

Most people I know renew their extensions around 30 days before they expire. I usually do mine 40 to 45 days. The extension will have the same expiry date whenever you do the renewal.

Make an attempt to dress “politely”

Hard to believe adults have to "attempt" to dress reasonably or can't understand how to act in a government office. Maybe if someone spends all his time in bars this is a big revelation. If someone has to "act" politely, how would he behave when he isn't acting?

when you collect your approved 'extension to stay' stamp, next year could be radically different

It could, but the 8 extensions I've done have been virtually the same each year. Maybe Phuket is different.

"It could, but the 8 extensions I've done have been virtually the same each year. Maybe Phuket is different."

No Phuket is not "different" !

I now have had ten "extensions of stay " from Phuket Immigration without a single problem.

Some people generate their own , self inflicted , Problems !

I quote Suradit69

"Most people I know renew their extensions around 30 days before they expire. I usually do mine 40 to 45 days. The extension will have the same expiry date whenever you do the renewal."

My question : do all other TVF member applying for extension Non Imm O have the same experience i.e. you do not loose 30 or 45 days of your previous extension if you apply that early.

fvw53

Nothing is "lost" by making application early.

For example my extension of stay was for one year up to 25 Feb 2015. I applied for a new extension on 17 Feb 2015. My current (new) extension is valid until 25 Feb 2016 !

Edited by nzexpat

This post was intended to aid anyone who may not have thought about the points raised here.

It is not an invitation to debate or argue the relevance nor the origin of the content.

If you have anything useful to add, go ahead and do so.

This post was intended to aid anyone who may not have thought about the points raised here.

It is not an invitation to debate or argue the relevance nor the origin of the content.

If you have anything useful to add, go ahead and do so.

To Gazz

This Forum was originally called "www.Thaivisa.com" and in the mean time it has expanded - with thanks - to many other topics related to Thailand

Your contribution was well intended and focused on the original purpose of the Forum and I thank you for your contribution.